wanted, border collie max 2 yr old

meesha

Visit site
Hi looking for a bc within 2 hrs of Somerset, 2yr old max. Will come to yard twice a day and hopefully out with horse (i work from home) , we have recently lost our bc and I am struggling to find one locally. Prefer to give money to rescue centre but will consider private, enquired about one but would welcome second opinions as looks bit big for a rough collie.

meesha

Visit site
Thanks Goya, obsessively trying them all , freeads, preloved, Gumtree, dog rescues etc nothing so far, seem to miss out on each one by a day.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have you looked on dogsblog, quite a few rescues advertise on there. you can specify which breed you are looking for...which makes it easier..

Suelin

Visit site
Wish I'd known a month ago, my farmer neighbour rehomed his BC. Only 18 months and was lovely. He's now homed him.

meesha

Visit site
Really could do with opinion from someone who knows different types of collies as seen one advertised but it looks enormous and not pure collie (not necessarily deal breaker) in pics, just worried might be mixed with flipping elephant lol!

Archangel

Normal, 10 cats ago
Visit site
I know of a very nice Collie x near Cullompton. They think he is probably Sheltie x Husky about 1 year old. Very bright and coming along with his training, good with other dogs (had a great game with ours). I really liked him and was very tempted.

meesha

Visit site
Thanks LL, will hold off for now, hopefully viewing 5 month old border collie tomorrow who looks perfect and if that doesn't work out (bloke sounds gutted to rehome and I think he may change his mind) there is one locally at a rescue or another fairly local. They r like buses, nothing then all at once !

meesha

Visit site
Ooh RR, thanks will keep it in mind, will know tomorrow about the others.....very excited, house has been horrible and empty since we lost ours (although its amazing how little u need to vacuum if u don't have a dog!)

meesha

Visit site
Samlf, you would think there would be loads, I have rung, lots of staffs but hardly any younger collies. One rescue even said to me that they don't hang round for more than couple days ! Gobsmacked !

Alec Swan

Visit site
I would dearly love to help you out. My FIL is now a widower, and he was left with Meg, when my MIL died, nearly 3 years ago. That would make Meg 4 years of age. She's actually a very well bred Collie, though she'd now be past training as a dog for sheep. She really is a delight, used to all livestock, horses and she's excellent with children.

My FIL has dementia and has all but abandoned the dog. She lives virtually wild in the garden, and now because few seem to bother themselves, she now seems to wander away from the house, and she often turns up here. Taking her away from him would be cruel, because though he doesn't bother with her, she's just about all that he has.

I doubt that he'd agree to re-home her, and taking her without his knowledge, would be unthinkable. She may well be 4 years old, but she'd make someone a lovely pet. All that she wants is human company, the poor girl.

Alec.

meesha

Visit site
Thanks all (alec , sorry to hear about FIL) we now have our new member of the family a 6 month old BC, basically a raving nutter. Apparently owners 3 yr old son allergic so had to go, supposedly went down yard twice a day and sometimes out with her horse so all good in that respect but the rest of the time the dog was shut in a crate in spare room with door closed !! she had about 1 hr exercise when viewed, comes to name which is good. Then travelled straight to my yard and had another hour (with ball,seems good round horses) we have now been home 3 hours and she has wolfed her food, pooed on floor and run round manicly with no sign of settling. We are trying to settle her by putting bed in lounge with us and then will move it upstairs so she can sleep in our room.

Having red wine as coping mechanism haha, I am sure she will calm down over next 5 years!

Clodagh

Visit site
Poor dog, do you have a crate? He probably feels safer in one. I'm sure he will be lovely when he settles down, my mum has had a couple of rehome collies and they have worked out very rewarding dogs.

meesha

Visit site
Very very confidant little girl, have crate in boot of car but she whines a little when goes in to travel. So, willl try without tonight and see how get on.

mandwhy

Visit site
Ooh that makes me so mad, crates are not for locking dogs away like that :-( congratulations on your new friend, it sounds like she will have a great time with you :)

meesha

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, poppy has settled in well. She is so very affectionate and is happy sleeping in her bed on landing at top of stairs (she was in with us to start with but we all kept disturbing each other) which means she can keep an eye on all movement in the house, our bedroom door is open so she can let us know when she wants the garden and so far so good on the house training front.

She comes to call or whistle immediately, sits on command, knows wait, paw, down and out and picks up new commands in minutes. She is brilliant with the horses and good with all other dogs.

Only thing we have found she dislikes is Tom Cruise in war of the worlds, she started barking at the tele when he appeared...but then again not sure it is age appropriate for her at 5 months, she was fine with Harry Potter!

On the crate front, she loves the crate in the car as it means she is doing horses or going somewhere with mum, not as enthusiastic about crate in kitchen which I use a couple of times a week for a few hours when seeing clients, she is still very mouthy and I don't think I would have much house left if uncrated. Hopefully we will only need it for a few months as I hate putting her in there (she does voluntarily go in and is never forced) but she has her water, Kong and bed and it keeps her safe while unattended.

Last edited:

Mince Pie

Visit site
Sounds like she is a lovely little dog, although I'd be worried about a 5 month old pup having 2 hours of exercise in 1 day as it's not good for their joints :(

meesha

Visit site
I can't see much difference to her pottering around the field with me or round the house, she is not on a lead and I am not walking miles round field with her following more pottering - no difference to a big garden. The alternative is that I shut her in one room of house or at the least inside all day so she doesn't move around too much. Most of her time down the field is spent investigating.

I do walk ten mins up lane and back once a day so she can meet other dogs but again all off lead, I have yet to see her lie down at all in field as never close to tired and she comes home and then plays for ages before snoozing.

Be interesting to see what others do with pups, do u limit time in the garden?

Last edited:

meesha

Visit site
Brokebut happy, did u mean the 2 hrs when I picked her up? That was owner giving her off leadwalk round small field with us chatting then her coming to yard but again no lead walking .

I am trying to be careful, no jumping, not lots of ball throwing etc just lots of freedom and fresh air.... Is that really wrong?