wanted, border collie max 2 yr old

Mince Pie

Visit site
With my collie I held with the 5 minutes per month guideline for exercise whether on lead or off, I find that mental stimulation tires them out as well so lots of little 5 minutes training sessions working on sit/stay/distance work/tricks etc will help knacker them out. It was drummed into me not to over do the exercise as pups as their joints are still forming. I know what mean about energy levels though, mine is 7 and still has no off switch! He's a Welsh Sheepdog as well so has been bred to have more energy than your average BC :)

Alec Swan

Visit site
I can't see much difference to her pottering around the field with me or round the house, she is not on a lead and I am not walking miles round field with her following more pottering - no difference to a big garden. .......

I do walk ten mins up lane and back once a day so she can meet other dogs but again all off lead, I have yet to see her lie down at all in field as never close to tired and she comes home and then plays for ages before snoozing.

Be interesting to see what others do with pups, do u limit time in the garden?

What your doing with your puppy is absolutely right, she is learning how to be your companion, by the sound of things she's enjoying life, and I fail to see where the question marks are. Lessons learned without a lead are all the better for the dog not relying upon the contact with a lead. Understanding that you must be obeyed , rather than the fact that the dog is tied to you, is the better way forward, I've always found.

Limiting time in the garden? Why? Your puppy, it seems to me, is being given an ideal start, I'd say. Lengthy route marches for young and growing puppies are to be avoided, that your not doing, so just carry on as you are!!

Alec.

meesha

Visit site
Thank you Alec, Poppy pics below so you can see who I have been fretting over - some comments that she is not pure bc but I don't care as she is gorgeous - sorry for the size !!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Alec Swan

Visit site
Two points, there's no such dog as a pure Border Collie, they're generically all Sheepdogs, and secondly, she's rather smart!

With a little less white, she'd be very similar to a bitch which we are about to re-home, to another HHOer!!

Alec.

meesha

Visit site
know it all !!! ha ha - you know what I meant - pure as in not crossed with lurcher etc. She is much smaller than our last bc who was a big stocky dog.

Out of interest Alec - do you ever need to have dew claws removed? - she has very prominent ones on hind legs - not caused a problem yet so hoping I can leave them as they are.

She is 5 months old apparently - does this seem about right ? will be getting the poor ****** spayed eventually (3 months after first season I understand is best time)

Alec Swan

Visit site
It would be unusual for bitches to carry dew claws on their hinds, and generally when they do, they are as you say, very large, and are also very often 'detached', in that they have no base. On hind legs, and if they're as you've described, then they'll be of no use to her, and they will most probably tear in time. 'IF', you're going to have her spayed, and as she's your dog, so it's your choice, then whilst she's under they may as well snip them off. If you don't have her spayed, then the large and floppy and 'generally' rear legged variety would probably be better removed.

If you're to have her spayed, do bear in mind that there are risks attached, and despite the fact that many seem to consider it an hereditary trait, in greyhounds, it's generally held that neutering is responsible for the disproportionate number of bone cancer incidents, rather than there being a genetic influence. That's all by-the-by!!

Before the Dew Claw 'discussion' starts again, those dew claws which are used by dogs, as they turn, obviously, are those on the front legs, and not the rears. I would leave Poppy's front DCs where they are.

Alec.

meesha

Visit site
Thanks Alec , front ones are fine, back ones are as you say almost just hanging, one side has a proper claw and the other a little stubb . I will look into pros and cons of spaying, just worries me that she may get lured behind the bike sheds by some sweet talking dog.

Aru

Visit site
Shes lovely :) Love collies!
Personally I would get her back dew claws removed when she is being spayed.It could save her another anaesthetic in the future as they do often get damaged and removal is one guaranteed way of preventing future issues.broken dew claws always seem to be an out of hours call here..last two I seen where both weekend calls :p Must be something to do with people going on long sunday walks and the dogs getting a proper hoon about.
If they are loosely attached they are quite easy to remove and heal very well.

We never remove front dew claws unless there is serious issues with injury or infection...Is it commonly done in the UK?

Pros and cons of spaying and when to spay..thats is a whole thread onto itself :p

mandwhy

Visit site
Aww lovely, she looks a bit like my boy, people often think he is not 'pure collie' which is rubbish as they can be so varied and I don't know what else he could be!

meesha

Visit site
Sorry have found one, but when I was looking they were going really quickly on freeads and from rescues etc. Def worth starting another thread with lovely pics to see if anyone on here can help. Good luck