Wanting to progress

EquineSpirit

New User
Visit site
Was just looking for some advice. I have recently been given the opportunity of a lovely dressage pony which I was really looking forward to progressing with. Unfortunately, as my parents are non-horsey they don’t fancy taking me up to the stables more than twice a week. There is some public transport but it would take nearly 2 hours to reach the stables, so would only use it as a last resort. If anyone has any ideas of how would be best to encourage them to take me up more often so I could start getting ready to compete, that would be great.

EquineSpirit

New User
Visit site
Was just looking for some advice. I have recently been given the opportunity of a lovely dressage pony which I was really looking forward to progressing with. Unfortunately, as my parents are non-horsey they don’t fancy taking me up to the stables more than twice a week. There is some public transport but it would take nearly 2 hours to reach the stables, so would only use it as a last resort. If anyone has any ideas of how would be best to encourage them to take me up more often so I could start getting ready to compete, that would be great.
(Just wanted to add that I share this horse but have the opportunity to come up as much as I can)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Twice a week sounds pretty reasonable really. It is either 4 trips each time or a lot of hanging around for them. So I think you need to consider alternatives. Lifts with others who go up in return for yard jobs? Bike? Scooter? Earn by doing jobs at the yard and pay for a taxi? Good luck. You’ll find a way if you really want to x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
To save the hanging around, would they consider dropping you off and you get yourself home by public transport? that would reduce the time commitment on their part and maybe you could go more often then. otherwise AE has a few good suggestions.

stangs

Visit site
Provided you don’t have too many changes and that it’s not too expensive, a 2h commute on the weekend isn’t awful.

My previous commutes have been 1h30-1h50 depending on how long the train takes. The trick is having a list of all the stuff you can get done without internet. I do those tasks on the commute, and all my other work back home.

If you can’t drive, kick scooters are also a great way of reducing time on public transport - not as difficult to move around as bikes are.

SO1

Visit site
You can't really expect your parents to be your personal taxi service.

Do you need to get there early in the morning to do jobs and fit this around school?

I think if you can manage on public transport at the weekends and see if they can take you twice during the week that would be 4 times a week which should be plenty.

Is there anyone at the yard who lives near you who could give you a lift part of the way if they are going that way anyway.

Are they any household jobs you could do to help your parents in exchange for a lift?

I'm Dun

Visit site
dont look at public transport as wasted time, take your school books and study, or if you are out of education, take a book to read, or watch something on your phone. Use and value the time rather than seeing it as a waste, and suddenly it gets easier to do.