Warm riding boots for winter

inthehills

Visit site
This will be my first winter back in the saddle after a 10 year break, alas I no longer seem to have antifreeze in my blood like I used to!

I am already getting icy feet, at the moment I'm just riding in standard jod boots.

Can anyone recommend a pair of riding boots that will keep my feet warm? Long ones would be preferable, as would those that will withstand mud and have reasonable grip as already many of the gates to get off for have ankle-deep mud around them which is only going to get worse! (and have already nearly been on my bum in it!)

If they were under £100 that would be a bonus too :)

many thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I really don't think you can beat the Ariat Bromonts, depending on your size you might be able to pick up some bargains as IIRC these are now end of line and being replaced with a different model :)

booandellie

Visit site
I have seen some brogini riding/yard/dog walking boots that are fur lined and water proof which i quite fancy for winter. No idea what the quality is like but have seen them for about 60 quid online. Nice looking, warm and comfy looking boot.

Spilletta

Visit site
I have just bought a pair of Colt Ryder Muck Boots after a couple of people recommended them. Although we've not reached the really cold weather yet, it was quite chilly the other day and someone was complaining their feet were cold, but my feet were fine. The people who recommended them ride out in all weathers and have been using them for ages.

When I buy boots, I sometimes go up a size, but was advised to stick to normal shoe size for the Muck Boots, and they fit well.

ETA: good for the muddy gateways and they are under £100 :)

Casey76

Visit site
Aptonia foot warmers from Decathlon ;) A throwaway chemical warmer that last about 6 hours. I need to take out shares in them as I buy loads (and am thankful for them!) I find these better than wearing bulky socks or boots :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
I have just bought a pair of Colt Ryder Muck Boots after a couple of people recommended them. Although we've not reached the really cold weather yet, it was quite chilly the other day and someone was complaining their feet were cold, but my feet were fine. The people who recommended them ride out in all weathers and have been using them for ages.

When I buy boots, I sometimes go up a size, but was advised to stick to normal shoe size for the Muck Boots, and they fit well.

ETA: good for the muddy gateways and they are under £100 :)

I second these, I need to replace mine as they split because I was doing a lot of driving in them (the lady at the tack shop warned me not to drive in them but did I listen? Aghhh)

Really comfy and warm and great for yard work too

inthehills

Visit site
lovely :)
thanks for all the suggestions, will look them up and be happy in the knowledge that I can ride and have warm feet!
thanks again.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have Brogini Caldos. These have now become Fortes. lovely boots, very warm indeed, but not waterproof over the foot part. they are fur lined & very snuggly though.

Last edited:

chaps89

Visit site
I really rate my equitectors. Small British company with good customer service. I'm not sure how much mine were but I don't recall them being overly expensive and they're coming into about their 5th winter.
Also really recommend the heat holder socks- the copies of them are rubbish but the genuine brand are some of the best money I've ever spent!

AmieeT

Visit site
Also really recommend the heat holder socks- the copies of them are rubbish but the genuine brand are some of the best money I've ever spent!

I second that- I can't get them on under in my Bromonts (I have the non-insulated ones but find them warm enough with slightly thick socks), but the heat holders and brilliant for in wellies! Again I agree only the branded ones though. They really last and retain their shape unlike the cheap ones.

Achinghips

Visit site
Cotton traders do lovely muck boots, fur lined and you can ride in them, about £40, but usually you can get them half priceish. They're called the highland quilted boot.

Last edited: