Warts - Have Vet coming out but wanted your advice too!

smallgirl

Visit site
HI all

I have posted this in the Lounge too.

My horse has recently (6 weeks) started to develop warts around one nostril, they are quite small but have increased from two to about 20 small ones.

The Vet is coming out this afternoon to look at them, now I have been given differnet advice as usual!

Some people are saying leave them alone, they will disappear within a few months, other are saying have them frozen off and others are saying I need to boost his immune system (but not knowing what with).

If anyone has had these on thier horse can they give me a bit of advice please so I can talk this through with the Vet nad know what I'm talking about.

I am very open minded on these things so the more advice the better.

Many thanks

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
If they are the virus we get here they are self limiting and will disappear within around two months or so. You can recognise them by the fact they seem to spread around the muzzle but not anywhere else.
I'm pretty sure you can get something from the vet that shifts them, but we deliberately allow ours to get them, once had they never get them again but seem immune.

smallgirl

Visit site
Hi All

Well Vat was confused about where he caught them from, and at his age (8) why he caught them and also why the other two horses there didn't catch them.

But he told me not to worry, gave me some Salynic (sp) Acid cream to slather on twice a day and they should clear up or start to at least in a few weeks.

He did mention about his Immune System not being able to fight them off which concerned him slightly.

And the creams is only about £6 so if he needs it for a long while its no bother really.

He also mentioned that herbs etc wouldn't harm him so if anyone knows of any that would boost his immune system, he is already on garlic and veg oil I'm open to suggestions.

Peanot

Visit site
A horse that I bred out of my mare, had warts on her nose that seemed to appear overnight and there were a lot of them. I bought a liquid spray called Biactol 55, or something like that, and I sprayed them every other day and within under 2 weeks, they had all gone again. She was only a yearling at the time tho. They never came back either.