Was stopped today for wearing Hi Viz!

MrsHutt

Visit site
I want to get one of those "polite" tabards (if it will fit over my airbag vest!!!!) as here it would probably work even better as the Flemish for police is Politie haha

I have the 'L' size - I am a sort of size 14 top and it fits over my body protector - they have an adjustable tab each side (it expands by about 4" if you need). Large sized OH tried it on over his coat yesterday, too. Hope that's helpful?

(also useful for fancy dress!? lol! ;))

Pablo349

Visit site
I wear hi-viz if I go on the roads and woods, my mum once got stopped at 6am when riding her horse. The man told her that it was cruel to ride a horse at dawn - how else would she keep her horse competition fit with a full time job and kids to look after?
I recently had a bad experience with a Sainsbury food delivery van, he came round then corner of a lane over 30mph and screeched his brakes on, my horse spun round and got very flustered, yet this van driver kept on coming at me, indicating with his arms for me to move over. However, there are some lovely people in this world who are kind and considerate. It's just the bad ones we seem to remember best!

I*HM

Visit site
It's lovely that people appriciate hiviz :)
I'm always decked out head to toe, as is the pony, wouldn't go on the road without!

pricklyflower

Visit site
I came across these the other day which I thought were hilarious http://chaosequestrian.com/Chaos-Hi-Viz-C76447.aspx?sid=6325.

I have a hi viz jacket that I always ride in and have just (finally) managed to find my 10 year old pony mad daughter a pink one that doesn't cost the eart. We also have vests for when the weather is nicer. Wouldn't ride without them now. People don't slow down for me anymore with hi viz on despite having a child with me most of the time so the more I can do to ensure I'm seen the better.

hessy12

Visit site
That's great to hear, it's so nice when folk are kind! Well done you for always wearing it.
I saw my friend out yesterday, a dark and dank day here, and she was wearing dark brown clothes, no high viz and consequently, she was exceedingly hard to see!
Don't get me wrong, i think i look a right pillock in my high viz, but rather than than have a stupid driver smash into my horse and ruin our lives.

Bennions Field

Visit site
like everyone here i wear mine when hacking out, but never thought to wear it in the field when riding in the menage. then last summer i regretted not having worn it , i live around a helicopter training site and regularly got them flying over the field during the day, but usually quite high up and never thought anything about it. then when i was riding my just broken 4 year old the first time after comming back from breaking a very low (just above the trees !!! ) helicopter came right over my menage. it frightened us both nearly to death !! i rang the RAF straight after, and they said they genuinely dont see you when you are riding and that they recommended i ride in hi viz even in the field - which i now do, even went out and got a bright yellow hat cover as well. thankfully the RAF were really good and have highlighted my whole lane where i ride as a no very low flight area, really impressed. as they have been true to their word as well.

its not just the car drivers we have to watch out for !!!!

mainpower

Visit site
I got apptoached by a walker who said that it wasn't very dignified to make my horse wear hi-viz.... to which I replied he wouldn't look very dignified being scraped off the road if he was run over because he wasn't spotted in time.
But it also irritates me to see riders with a hi-viz jacket/tabard on but nothing on the horse... what happens if you part company for any reason?

Dottie

Visit site
I wear hi viz on myself and my horse even when riding off road. At least then if we unfortunately happen to part company then the air ambulance could spot me in a ditch and my horse would be more visible if she legged it!
I love my 'Polite' notice tabard, but i need to sort out my hair because it keeps covering the top of the tabard!

So pleased that you had nice comments from a driver.

caitlineloise

Visit site
I think those "POLITE" vest's are a great idea, and I bet they work, unfortunately I don't think they'd work for me, I'm sure people aren't thick enough to believe a police officer would be riding a 14.3 haflinger!

Think I'll just stick to all my pink hi-viz :)

jodie1084

Visit site
I think those "POLITE" vest's are a great idea, and I bet they work, unfortunately I don't think they'd work for me, I'm sure people aren't thick enough to believe a police officer would be riding a 14.3 haflinger!

Think I'll just stick to all my pink hi-viz :)

I have one of these vest and said to my friend whilst out hacking the other day that a 14.1 welsh cob doesn't fit the image of a police horse!! mine you whilst thanking a vehicle that was over taking me he suddenly stopped when i put my hand up so he must of thought that i was a police women!! hehe

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
No, but I felt like doing to a couple of riders who would have otherwise been almost invisible. No leg bands, but full tabards and exercise sheets. Stood out like beacons, and good for them. Sadly, the road was too busy and they were oncoming to me, or I would have told them!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
A car ful of boy racers, slowed down and wound the window down, was just getting ready to give back abuse, when the lad driving pointed to the horses leg bands and shouted 'great socks'. Sister and I have laughed about that for agres. Also had some walkers saying how effective the leg bands are. We always have hat bands, leg bands, tabbards and sometimes quater sheets :)

stevieg

Visit site
I also thought you meant some one had stopped you to complain!

Woman I know hacks out on a dark bay horse wearing black boots, navy breeches, navy coat, navy gloves, black hat & to just to make sure that she is almost entirely invisible, one of those neck warmers pulled up under her nose in..... yes you've guessed it. Navy!

My daughter has worked on two event yards now & at neither place have they been allowed to hack out without Hi Viz.

Serephin

Visit site
I wore my POLITE hi viz out for the first time today (got for chrimbo pressie) and got a lot of positive comments from people on my yard, so I think they will be buying some for themselves. I always wear a tabard and hat band when I hack out, as do a few other girls, but the majority of the yard don't, which is a shame.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I have a 1/4 sheet, leg bands, hat band, martingale and tabbard. - i bought a cheap roadworkers vest and chopped it up a bit with a sowing machine made the hat, legs and martingale from it - Worked a treat for only a 50p second hand tack sale buy!

I would look quite convincing in a 'polite' tabbard - on my 17hh Cleveland Bay! :D

Does anyone know which insurance company asks for it to be on??? I would be very interested!!!! SEIB?? - I have looked at the papers, but no mention that I could find - will dig deeper tomorrow

Last edited:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I always wear a reflective tabard which has the word "Caution" in blue in a reflective strip, so from a way off, it looks like a police one. I also put a flourescent sheet on as well, unless it is way too warm. It really concerned me today that two people went out from my yard - one was leading her 3 year old son on a tiny lead rein pony which, with the hedges being so high, couldn't be seen until you were on top of it, and the other girl, aged about 16 clearly thought she was too trendy to wear it. It always seems to me to be the ones on the yard who compete all the time, and think they are too good to need anything reflective in case it destroys their street cred! Doesn't matter how good a rider you are if a car hits you - we all break!

golddustsara

Visit site
That's lovely it is so nice to know there are polite drivers out there. I really appreciate it when people slow down and I always try to thank each one even if it is only nodding as I'm road-proofing my lad.

High Viz definitely makes a difference and I'm hoping to invest in one of those Polite Police-esque ones soon.

RoseGrey

Visit site
I have ordered my 'Polite' tabard.... will be interesting as my 16.2 Grey gelding does actually look like a police horse!

Can't wait to try it out ! :)

dieseldog

Visit site
Does anyone know which insurance company asks for it to be on??? I would be very interested!!!! SEIB?? - I have looked at the papers, but no mention that I could find - will dig deeper tomorrow

I don't think that is true - I've never heard it before. They haven't said who it is either which makes you think its not right.

I'm really surprised they are allowed to sell those 'Polite' tabards - wouldn't have thought the police would like it. The blue check makes it look like you are impersonating an officer.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I don't think that is true - I've never heard it before. They haven't said who it is either which makes you think its not right.

I'm really surprised they are allowed to sell those 'Polite' tabards - wouldn't have thought the police would like it. The blue check makes it look like you are impersonating an officer.

I had a word with a local police officer about it, he was under the impression that the vests do indeed imply that you are 'maybe' a police officer, therefore it could be argued that you were trying to impersonate one! It could be upheld in a court of law, and the law as we know, can be an ass.....

He suggested I stick to my beacon-type stuff I wear already!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I have a 1/4 sheet, leg bands, hat band, martingale and tabbard. - i bought a cheap roadworkers vest and chopped it up a bit with a sowing machine made the hat, legs and martingale from it - Worked a treat for only a 50p second hand tack sale buy!

I would look quite convincing in a 'polite' tabbard - on my 17hh Cleveland Bay! :D

I've certainly never seen it!! and if it's not law to wear it on the road...how can they justify that standing up in court? You could just argue that the driver of the car who caused the grief was just not paying attention, on that nice sunny day..... 'Why would I wear hi-viz?? Cyclists dont always wear it!'...etc etc etc....

VERY dodgy ground....

Nic

Visit site
From the Equisafety website:

http://www.equisafety.com/cat/catitem.asp?pc=R02N-AIRPO&d=1&s=1

(it took quite a long time to come as I understand they are overwhelmed with orders!!)

FYI I eventually had to go to Trading standards re Equisafety & I'm not the only HHOer.

Doubt I can give any more info without being banned.

OP, how nice of that driver. I had a run in with a driver that I asked to slow down, who then reported me for impersonating a Police officer as I was wearing a long sleeved Hi Viz!! :mad:

Shrimp

Visit site
I have a hi-viz jacket and equafleec rug for the moment, its very bright and I do get joking comments off some on the yard but I dont care. Not many of them wear hi-viz and I think they are stupid for it, its makes such a difference. My mum went on a hack with five of them and she was the only one wearing hi-viz and the roads we ride on can be rather fast! For the summer i'll wear a tabbard and think I might get some accessories for the horse aswell
Today as I was leaving the yard, two others were just coming back from a hack and though they were wearing tabbards, they still weren't that bright! I think the dark colour of their coats was showing through underneath and sort of dampening the effect. It was around 4pm ish so it looks like everything merges into each other and it did catch me by surprise

horseriderdeb

Visit site
I have a bright orange Hi Viz vest. I got it from a builders merchants and it is so warm in winter and has pockets everywhere. Have now got my horse an orange neck band and orange leg bands. With him being young I want him to be seen as early as possible if he has a hissy fit at anything while out hacking

Tinsel Town

Visit site
thats lovely that someone stopped you to say that. Ive never had anyone stop and say anything but I always wear a hi viz vest when I got out, what ever the weather, my new purchase is below, and as you can see he is thrilled to be wearing it! but it will keep him visable as well, its so bright it was hurting my eyes to look at it!! lol! Id quite like to get some leg bands too :) I think its important to be visable out on the road, i think the stats are motorists see a horse + rider 3 seconds quicker if they are wearing hi viz (something like that :) )

65397_466733098371_512503371_5918140_570143_n.jpg

Dottie

Visit site
Ooh i love your exercise sheet Kate and Spotlight! Where did you get that from? It doesn't look too heavy.