Washing horsey things in your home washing machine!

SWE

Visit site
Does anyone get away with doing it? OH will kill me if I break it or leave hairs everywhere so looking for tips for washing boots/fleeces/numnah etc. It's just a standard 7kg drum - has anyone got any experience doing this so I can have some reassurance I won't break it haha?!

I've heard pillow covers are good to stop hairs....

Shay

Visit site
You can get a big orange bag to keep excessive airs out of the filter - otherwise just clean regularly.

You do only have a light domestic weight drum so it might be best to avoid washing heavy rugs.

albeg

Visit site
I have one of the big orange bags and it's brilliant.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I lower the spin speed for heavier things (fleeces), as otherwise the machine sounds like it's trying to escape.

windand rain

Visit site
OH does all the washing so he washes everything in the house machine. He does hoover everything first and cleans the hairs out afterwards h e is a gem does most of the cooking and washing up too

Northern Hare

Visit site
I’ve got an old single-sized duvet cover, into which goes lightweight rug liners / saddle cloths etc. I use an elastic band to secure the opening.

Rather than use the normal 40oC wash at 2hrs, I do a “quick cycle” 1hr wash, then remove the articles from the duvet cover, give them a good shake to remove hair/grit etc, then put them back in the wash for another 1hr quick wash, without using the duvet cover.

I turn the duvet cover inside out and give it a shake so it’s free of hair etc efore allowing to dry, and it’s ready for next time!

Mule

Visit site
I have one of the big orange bags too. Great investment. I do the dogs things in it too. I'd say a pillowcase with a hair tie to keep it shut would work too.

SWE

Visit site
Yippee exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks all!!

What size orange bag do people have? I've just looked at a listing on eBay and I'd imagine the 'large' would do rather than 'jumbo' due to size of the machine. If anyone has one and can advise on size that would be ace!

holeymoley

Visit site
Nooooo! Too much of a pita to remove hairs afterwards. Husbands uniform is black and managed to get some white spikes of hair on it after the first time I done it ... Ooops! Luckily I have the local washing machines at the petrol station so just fling a load in that for £4 and they come out good. Not pristine clean but certainly takes smells away and freshens up.

Shooting Star

Visit site
I just chuck it straight in, no bag. Last machine lasted 12 years so can’t have done that much harm.

To clean it if it’s a hairy wash then I just do another wash cycle with an old towel in and that picks up the stray hairs.

Steerpike

Visit site
I have a big green bag, they are brilliant, I've just finished washing all my undersheets ready for winter, no hair in the machine but plenty on my lawn!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just sling it in. Do a dog wash or stable clothes wash afterwards.

The old machine had a filter and that needed emptying frequently.

I have not found a filter on the new machine. It is a whopping 9 kg machine, so lightweight rugs fit in no problems too. The machine is 3 years old so I have come to the conclusion that there can't be a filter as it still half dries clothes on a spin.

Bonus when you put something hairy in and it comes out pristine :D

Don't use an orange bag but do use a quick wash.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I hover numnahs first we have a Henry to do the car with so I use that...and after I’ve used the washer I check and clean the filter then send the machine on an empty wash on 60 c cycle. My washer is 15 years old and still going strong.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I hoover as much as can first then I do use a big orange bag for some things. However I neglected to empty my filter regularly and when it blocked I couldn’t get it out as it’s welded itself in and I’ve had to have the filter and all it’s housing replaced costing me about £130 in total. So remember to clean your filter out regularly!

Farma

Visit site
I do all my horse stuff when he isn't there then do the dog stuff, rinse cycle and then if there are any hairs stray I say I've washed the dogs bedding ;)

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
After dear OH complained that his expensive business shirts seemed to be covered in a haze of short dark hair and perhaps some greasy marks (hmmm, horse might be a very dark bay?) I now do a cycle with white vinegar plus throw a piece of Velcro along with one of those microfibre cleaning cloths. Now all good. I also empty the filter and hey presto next white wash comes out pristine. OH none the wiser. Shirts pristine and horse's rugs all clean too.

huskydamage

Visit site
My OH is allergic to horses so goes ballistic if he sees I've washed horse stuff in there and the washing machine is coated in ginger hair! I have biothane bridles so i chuck them in too. I just wipe the worse of the hair out and then put it on rinse or wash something I don't care about that much, my towels, throws etc. Then it looks OK and OH none the wiser 😜

WelshD

Visit site
Everything goes in mine, boots, rugs, headcollars, girths and even grooming brushes

It all goes in one of those orange bags though as hubby works in a hospital and his uniform has to be gleaming

mums the groom

Visit site
I Wait till Hubby is working away (couple of times a month) then a rug goes home with me :) just put it on a quick wash after the rug is washed and don't forget to wipe out the grey seal to remove all evidence... and don't tell the OH