Washing legs? Hose them off everyday?

D

Deleted member 150717

Just wondering on everyones opinion about muddy legs and hosing the mud off, I wash my horses legs off with plain water everyday and every other day I shampoo them (cheap human shampoo) as he’s a skewbald and four white legs is hard to keep clean. I use warm water to clean them so it’s nicer for them and me too! Also, he’s a 3yr and i like the idea of him getting used to water on him and standing still whist I wash them. He’s now a pro at it! and doesn’t even flinch he’s a fine horse (standardbred) so not much hair to dry off. After I have washed them i towel dry them and trot him round the yard to warm him up and shake some water off his legs!! I don’t have time to wait for them to dry to then brush them off otherwise I would. Just wondering what everyone else does? This is him 2918DDF7-0596-40CF-A762-B8EF3DAA8CAD.jpeg

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I only wash legs about once a month at the most, when I have time to do a really thorough job, let them dry completely and then cover in pig oil. I would never wash routinely and never with warm water in winter as I believe it opens the pores. Mine live out with heavy feather though, so very different circumstances.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I only wash legs about once a month at the most, when I have time to do a really thorough job, let them dry completely and then cover in pig oil. I would never wash routinely and never with warm water in winter as I believe it opens the pores. Mine live out with heavy feather though, so very different circumstances.

This is my thinking - leave as much as possible to let the oils do their thing. I only even really groom them when I desperately need to put boots on!

Edit to say - very very occasionally as Laura has said I will wash legs in this way.
*touch wood* I've never had a case of mud fever.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just wondering on everyones opinion about muddy legs and hosing the mud off, I wash my horses legs off with plain water everyday and every other day I shampoo them (cheap human shampoo) as he’s a skewbald and four white legs is hard to keep clean. I use warm water to clean them so it’s nicer for them and me too! Also, he’s a 3yr and i like the idea of him getting used to water on him and standing still whist I wash them. He’s now a pro at it! and doesn’t even flinch he’s a fine horse (standardbred) so not much hair to dry off. After I have washed them i towel dry them and trot him round the yard to warm him up and shake some water off his legs!! I don’t have time to wait for them to dry to then brush them off otherwise I would. Just wondering what everyone else does? This is him View attachment 65238
Nope not anymore, have not for years.

leave on mud on legs and leave on body on my gelding he don't care.

AUB

Visit site
Unless our water outdoors has been shut off because of the cold I (cold)hose off daily. In the winter before and after riding, in the summer only after unless they’re too dirty to brush clean.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I hose my welsh off every time she goes in the field. They have to walk in through a flooded track so are wet anyway. I figure I may as well finish the job off and put her away clean and wet instead of muddy and wet. She has full welsh feather and its working fine.
I leave the tb to just dry as he is though.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
One I do, one I dont! The one with hairy legs gets his hoof wall washed off and feet picked out but mud is left if he is going back out the following day. I normally keep them in 1 day a week to give them a rest from the clay bog in the gateway and I take that chance to wash off properly so I can really check him over, he gets washed, dried and warm wraps on. The sec b has such fine little legs that I can wipe them down with a wet towel, then dry them and pop wraps on every night

TheMule

Visit site
I don’t routinely wash legs off, they get washed if they need to be clean for a competition and for an occasional health check if I have any concerns, but otherwise left well alone. Washing frequently, especially with shampoo does more harm than good IMO

Pippity

Visit site
I haven't washed them, hosed them down or trimmed the feather since she went into the winter fields. When she shifts to the summer fields, and out of the mud, I'll wash them and chop off that horrible manky feather but until then, she keeps as much protection as possible.

Even in summer, I only wash them if I'm trimming the feather or we're going somewhere she needs to look especially smart.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Mine lives out, she has 4 white socks/stockings. Literally the only time her legs get "washed" if you can call it that is when we wade through the local ford, and when that happens I give them a quick check for mud fever - touch wood none this year and never any in the previous 3 years that I've had her. Her field is quite muddy. I'm a firm believer that washing and scrubbing legs in the winter disturbs skin integrity and gives a way for bugs and bacteria to get into the skin. I also feed a fairly oily diet (lots of linseed) which I think helps with giving a natural barrier against moisture and a shiny coat.

None of this applies in the summer when the fields are dry, I'm happy to give legs a wash more frequently then.

The worst case of mud fever I ever saw was in a tb whose owner washed his legs every single day, and would not be told that this was a factor.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I rarely wash legs but I have had to start washing hooves so I can put hoof boots on to ride. I can’t risk gritty mud rubbing his heels. Mud on legs which are the only bits on them not clipped is always brushed off when dry every day and when they come in at night feet are wiped clean and picked out.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
I use an empty carrot sack to wipe the worst off when they come in at night and then brush it off in the morning when it's dry. Only wash the legs when the farrier is coming.

mini_b

Visit site
I wash off because our mud is sodden so they are wet anyway.

if he’s soaked and muddy, I wash off with cold water. Towel dry and apply oil.

if he’s not absolutely clagged to the skin I will leave the mud on.

doodle

Visit site
Robin has white legs and I think last time I shampooed them was 2 years ago before a competition. They stay clean I guess as the oils build up and dirt dosnt stick. If his legs are wet and muddy when he comes in I hose off as they are wet anyway. I used to them just leave them but now I towel dry and put leg wraps on after an arthritis diagnosis. If they are not terribly wet I just leave.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had horses for over 50 years and have always been on clay. i cold hosed legs and towel dried every day. never had any with mud fever...i wouldnt use shampoo on legs in the winter as i think that would take the natural grease away which is their protection..there is no need to have sparkling white legs unless you are showing which i assume you arent..nice looking horse but please dont shampoo his legs and warm water is not a good idea either..

TheHairyOne

Visit site
4 white legs (well, some shade of mud and yellow atm!) and I try to avoid shampoo washing all winter. I hose once a week at the weekend to check for any nasties when i know he is going to be on the yard for a while to dry off. He lives out 24/7 with his 5 buddies and its the same routine for all of them. Last year one got awful mudfever for the first time in all the years we've had him, turns out sharer had been cleaning him 4 or 5 times a week. Back to the one wash a week and leave well alone the rest of the time and no issues this year!

Soon as it warms up though its out with the shampoo and the clippers on my lad and all the winter fluff and orange stains are removed! I keep them as stain free as possible till the weather turns again.

Visit site
No washing - I find turnout boots most effective with my boy with pink skin/white legs and although they do still get a bit muddy not to the extent that it causes mud fever.

D

Deleted member 150717

i got a bit OCD with washing his legs off when he came in from the field covered knee downwards with thick wet mud got the hose and washed it off as a one off as I didn’t ever wash legs before either and there was a nasty big gash on his leg and wouldn’t of noticed if I didn’t wash it off!! And as he is so young and lives in a herd he’s prone to get picked on and get kicked so I do it to give piece of mind to myself and check he is 100% sound, happy and healthy before I get him ready for bed. Thank you for all your messages! When he is a bit older Ill probably leave them alone completely and only wash them when they really need it.