Washing Silver Whinny Socks

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The instructions say caution with detergent. I only have bio in the kitchen at present so haven't washed them. I am thinking perhaps Dreft would be the best ?

Does anyone use the socks and what do you wash them with please.
Thanks

Nicnac

Visit site
This is AA ladies! Silver Whinny would be 18.2, a shire/ID cross, palomino with beautiful silver mane and tail.

Found this which answers your question and OMG they have Whinny Warmers - the mind boggles!!!!!!!

Do wash Whinny Warmer® and Silver Whinnys® all you want to. Put them in the washer and dryer. The infrared yarn in the Whinny Warmers® is there to stay and the silver in the Silver Whinnys® also will not degrade or wash out.

Do wash them in the washing machine and dryer. They will clean better and the elastic will recondition better. Use free and clear detergents. Don't use bleach or fabric softeners.

paddy555

Visit site
The instructions say caution with detergent. I only have bio in the kitchen at present so haven't washed them. I am thinking perhaps Dreft would be the best ?

Does anyone use the socks and what do you wash them with please.
Thanks

glad you asked this as I am in exactly the position, just started using mine for the first time. I too would like to know precisely what anyone uses. AA, are you going to hand wash? I am a bit scared of putting them in the machine

Brilliant sox though, stayed in place at the gallop which included many bucks :D

Athos The Saint

New User
Visit site
I used a set of these throughout the summer last year on my horse whose white front legs were badly affected by the sun. I machine washed them at 30 in Woolite at least twice a week, they still look like new :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
So sorry to disappoint you all ! The nearest thing I have to a living Silver Whinny is the feral cart horse who has a bit of silver in his mane, tail and fluffy pants.

I have hand washed them this morning with simple soap.

First week of using them and had a couple of interesting moments with the put on and get off procedure. More the get off really, there has been a bit of pulling and puffing with me telling the old horse he could at least help ! I am so hoping his LV is kept at bay with the socks.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I used a little bit of non bio. In all honestly that’s luck rather than judgement. I didn’t think twice just chucked them in the machine. ?

There’s no garment in my house that stays the correct shape size or colour for long!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So sorry to disappoint you all ! The nearest thing I have to a living Silver Whinny is the feral cart horse who has a bit of silver in his mane, tail and fluffy pants.

I have hand washed them this morning with simple soap.

First week of using them and had a couple of interesting moments with the put on and get off procedure. More the get off really, there has been a bit of pulling and puffing with me telling the old horse he could at least help ! I am so hoping his LV is kept at bay with the socks.
AA it was LV that I used mine for and they absolutely definitely helped. One summer all else ( literally) failed and he had nasty patches which I was making worse by trying to treat. I used Silver Whinneys and ignored it. Huge improvement in very little time

J&S

Visit site
After having found out Silver Whinnie was not a horse I then presumed they were super socks for humans (like bamboo but even better).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA it was LV that I used mine for and they absolutely definitely helped. One summer all else ( literally) failed and he had nasty patches which I was making worse by trying to treat. I used Silver Whinneys and ignored it. Huge improvement in very little time

I nearly bought them last year when he a nasty flare up but decided he would be too sore to manhandle to put them on. Then he had an horrific sheath issue which took a lot of sorting out with a broth. I had prepared myself to receive the ‘enough’ message from my wonderful vet. Amazingly he rallied and the broth plus gallons of Karidox put him right.

This year I went for prevention rather than wait for it to flare and got him 2 pairs os socks. I am hoping with all my heart he doesn’t get a flare up. He was 27 last weekend and looks stunning, is happy and loving life at the moment.

Modelling his spensive socks, he better not ladder them !!

Attachments

• 95775757_194315624867449_2277888591797420032_n.jpg
    95775757_194315624867449_2277888591797420032_n.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 49

poiuytrewq

Visit site
From a bit of trial and error keeping them covered as much as possible does help prevention. I alternated between these and Shires fly socks to allow for washing (and they are just significantly easier to put on and off!)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Is that a recent pic, AA? The old boy looks fab!

Though I’m another who initially thought that you were on about washing a horse...

I hope that those fancy leggings do the job.

Thank you, it was taken yesterday. I am really pleased how he wintered. I adore this horse and wish I could knock 20 years off him and start over again.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I wash mine in Woolite, or failing that shampoo, at 40 degrees and they are perfect, after two years of use. Getting them on is easier if you use a plastic bag over the hoof.

Thank you. I do use a plastic bag and have a technique perfected now. Fingers crossed all our LV horses have an easy summer.

HeyMich

Visit site
I'm a newbie to this LV lark! I have an old-ish companion/loan mare who started with symptoms in January - in Scotland - UV sensitive? My arse! Anyhoo, it took a fair while for the lesions to go (10-12 weeks I'd say), and she is now ok and out grazing happily again. I've covered her 4 white socks with filtabac F50 cream, and am hoping that'll do the job. To all the experienced LV types - when do things normally kick back in again? Do I need to keep an eye for new lesions constantly? Am just googling the silver whinny socks, and wondering if I need to re-mortgage to buy a set... Fingers crossed everyone's LV horses do well this summer!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
LV isn't always UV triggered it can be something they eat, a side effect of cushing disease etc. My horse reacts to butter cups on his white legs. I have found it is not curable but can be manageable. Your oldie might benefit from a cushing test if not already done. Mine is on prescend and has been for years now, but at his worst an half tablet increase helped the LV healing/calming process.

If you have healthy white legs now and prevent any form of sunburn you might be ok. Cost wise, a set of socks (pair to wash/pair on the horse) is about the same as a vet visit and drugs and no where near as expensive as several vets calls and gallons of medicines.

timbobs

Visit site
AA how are you getting on with the Silver Whinnys? I'm considering ordering a pair. Mare currently wears pastern wraps which do the job as she's only affected on her heels/pasterns.

Do they stay in place low down? Any slipping etc?

She currently has no scabs or soreness and I'd like to keep it that way!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA how are you getting on with the Silver Whinnys? I'm considering ordering a pair. Mare currently wears pastern wraps which do the job as she's only affected on her heels/pasterns.

Do they stay in place low down? Any slipping etc?

She currently has no scabs or soreness and I'd like to keep it that way!

Brilliantly ! one of them did get a little hole right at the bottom where the fabric covers the heel. I got Mum to darn it as I cannot thread a needle let alone sew !. I do find I need to make sure the bottom of the sock is well under the heel to stay put. They don't slip down and if you put them on your own arm you will realise the compression is firm and uniform. Washing them every second day and he wears a pair from 7am to dusk. The only days I would not use them at this time of year is if the forecast is showing low UV or it is raining.

My horse has random patches of LV, heels and pasterns (hinds) but has had big patches on fetlocks too. At the moment he has dormant scabs (small ones) that I leave well alone. I keep his paddock well mowed to prevent rough grass growing tall and irritating his legs. He is a big age so every day is taken as it comes and this heat is a real issue for him but he is well at present.

lifechange

Visit site
Brilliantly ! one of them did get a little hole right at the bottom where the fabric covers the heel. I got Mum to darn it as I cannot thread a needle let alone sew !. I do find I need to make sure the bottom of the sock is well under the heel to stay put. They don't slip down and if you put them on your own arm you will realise the compression is firm and uniform. Washing them every second day and he wears a pair from 7am to dusk. The only days I would not use them at this time of year is if the forecast is showing low UV or it is raining.

My horse has random patches of LV, heels and pasterns (hinds) but has had big patches on fetlocks too. At the moment he has dormant scabs (small ones) that I leave well alone. I keep his paddock well mowed to prevent rough grass growing tall and irritating his legs. He is a big age so every day is taken as it comes and this heat is a real issue for him but he is well at present.
Thanks for the quickly reply! Glad he’s doing well at the moment.

She doesn’t have any scabs atm, so I’m trying to decide if they’re worth the money, or if I should try something like the Shires summer turnout boots first. They would be easy to get on and off and would cover the right area.

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks for the quickly reply! Glad he’s doing well at the moment.

She doesn’t have any scabs atm, so I’m trying to decide if they’re worth the money, or if I should try something like the Shires summer turnout boots first. They would be easy to get on and off and would cover the right area.

I was in this position. Wondered about turnout boots or in fact anything cheaper but went with sox. Definitely the right choice. I had LV starting last July, he cleared up over the winter and now has nothing but I decided to use the sox through this summer. Mine is on the hinds and the white is halfway down the fetlock to the ground. They stay put although if they did slip down the white would still be covered. Putting on is OK, getting off not my favourite job but still OK. They seem very comfortable for the horse. Once on I don't think there is much that can go wrong from the horse's POV. Nothing to come unfastened etc.

Very nervous about buying them because I had no experience and the cost but now I don't know what I was ever worried about. They are great and worth every penny.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
On the take off point Paddy 555, I too had issues. it is easier if the hoof is freshly trimmed (my lad is unshod) as there is nothing to snag the sox on. ( proof reading a must, h appeared in place of n ! that would have been a ban for me !)

Also i find if I ensure the sock is eased over the heel and toe far enough for the pulling off process to be done by grabbing the thicker knitted part rather than the last 3 inches of thinner material the slide off is much easier. Using on a shod horse I think a strip of electric tape on the clenches would be wise.

Cost wide, even if one pair at £45.00 only does one summer, they are not expensive if they do the job. The veterinary costs and the misery for the horse involved in an outbreak of LV far outweighs the cost of the socks.