washing with fairy liquid

blackandwhite

Visit site
Other washing up liquids are avaliable!

Doing the washing up with bare hands completely wrecks my skin and leaves me scratching raw with dermatitis. This has led me to ponder if there could be the same effect on equine skin and any relation between the use of such abrasive stuff and susceptibility to mud rash?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Other washing up liquids are avaliable!

Doing the washing up with bare hands completely wrecks my skin and leaves me scratching raw with dermatitis. This has led me to ponder if there could be the same effect on equine skin and any relation between the use of such abrasive stuff and susceptibility to mud rash?

Try hibiscrub and Malaseb they wreak my hands I don't use washing up liquid on my horses so can't comment on that however last week for the first time I got the fairy liquid with Olay it's lovely on the hands.

ribbons

Visit site
Given the ease it strips the greasy gunk from the Sunday roast tin I wouldn't think it was the best thing for a horses coat never mind it's skin.

Bobbly

Visit site
With a white pony I think I must have shares in regular Fairy, never had a problem with it at all on the ponies, however the blue antibac Fairy doesn't work for my hands, makes them very itchy and red and my daughter is allergic to the Aloe Vera one! (or anything Aloe Vera)

Lego

Visit site
I use fairy liquid on any stained bits that stick out - mane, tail, feathers, occasionally hocks/knees - but wouldn't use it all over unless horse disgustingly greasy, in which case I give a quick scrub with fairy, then another wash with an all-in-one, or moisturising shampoo - whichever niceish own brand person shampoo they have in Tesco :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
I use it on feet areas and tails etc.
Usually use horse shampoo on bodies but if I'm out then I use very cheap washing up liquid well diluted and rinse well. Not done them any harm!

Smurphy

Visit site
I ran out of shampoo once and used washing up liquid on my horse legs, he suffered fron mud fever shortly afterwards (he's never had it before or since) I believe it stripped the naturals oils from his coat so wouldn't use it again

PandorasJar

Visit site
I wouldn't use it. I know lots of people with skin issues from it and wpuldnt put on my car for paint stripping, so would avoid on horse.
One of the things I'm anal about like washing things though - always rinse and rinse saddlecloths etc

Lyndsay

Visit site
I have always used fairy liquid (the blue one works wonders on greys). However I do find that the orange one makes my hands very red and itchy, no such problem with any of the others though

Timmys Mum

Visit site
my friend swore by it for her cobs legs, but i was told that it dries the skin out if not washed out properly. i havent used it cos my boy has dry skin anyway. i've been told you can use cheap human shampoo tho???

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
useit a lot and never had a problem. Have a yard full of 'thin skinned' 'sensitive' tb's.
As someone haas said, there is onnly a problem if you dont wash it out properly or have very sensitive skin like you own.
Lidl do an extra concentrated one really cheaply which lasts for ever and wilko, tesc and morrisns have a eucalyptus one which is anti bacterial and smells divine!

mandwhy

Visit site
I wouldn't use it regularly either as it strips the oils but I would use it to topically get stains out alongside a nicer moisturising shampoo/baby oil to stop the skin getting dry and irritated. My horse's tail is due a good scrub but will avoid the dock and bum!

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
I've only ever used Baby Shampoo or a eucalyptus or tea tree oil based shampoo and conditioner on my horses.
Never heard of anyone using fairy liquid or such on a horse until I moved here from Oz. I was always told horses had sensitive skin and hence needed a mild soap to cleanse their skin.
The only other thing I have ever used and was only on my vet's recommendation was anti dandruff shampoo when my horse at the time had flakey skin and very bad mane and tail dandruff. Made sure though that I followed up with a gentle but nourishing conditioner to ensure no post wash itch or irritation.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Never used it on a horse and never will. It completely strips all the natural oils from my hands and I simply wouldn't risk it.

We use human shampoo, frequently Timotei, for no good reason other than it is often on offer.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Used it on all of ours (DWB, cobs, TB, NFs) and so far no problems.

Tend to use it for the first couple of baths of the year, and before the first clip, as it's great for getting the grease and grime out. Next baths we use shampoos suited to each horse (chestnut, bay, grey, coloureds).

As above, must make sure it's well rinsed out, which is the same for almost every shampoo.