Wasp nest removal?

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Private companies are very expensive - we managed to get the local authority to shift ours and it was much cheaper. We wouldn't have been able to reach ours as it was near the roof space and the guy used a lance to spray the nest. I still got stung and it was awful, I was really quite ill. Apparently there has been a huge increase in the number of nests this year. I would be too scared to tackle one myself.

My boy was stung on the hindquarters once - I was riding him at the time - and he went crazy. There was a swelling the size of an orange, poor thing. But I've heard of quite a few horses who react very, very badly and the worst case scenario is that they can die from many stings. I won't risk it, wasps have got to go!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's rather different having them in an open field shelter to one being used as a stable where the horse cannot leave though.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It's rather different having them in an open field shelter to one being used as a stable where the horse cannot leave though.

Not much ............

Oh Yes that is right - a horse will never get stung in a field shelter - you tell that to Criso's owner. Grass livery - field shelter at the end of the field. Hot day horse and pony were in the open shelter. Wasps nest in there - haynet tied to the wall - Criso munching on his hay, wasps flying around, one must have landed on the hay. He got stung twice. Once in the mouth, the other on his neck., cuts on his leg Started running around disorientated, foaming at the mouth - dribbling, shaking it when finally caught. Vet called, heart rate racing, he was treated for anaphylactic shock.

ester

Visit site
How so not much?

1) open field shelter, horse gets stung by wasp, horse leaves shelter, horse stops getting stung by wasps
2) closed field shelter, horse gets stung by wasp, horse unable to leave shelter to avoid wasps, horse cannot get away, horse keeps being stung and loses it in a closed space.

At no point was I suggesting horses would not get stung in a field shelter!

Do you have data for the frequency of anaphylactic shock as a result of wasp stings in horses?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
How so not much?

1) open field shelter, horse gets stung by wasp, horse leaves shelter, horse stops getting stung by wasps
2) closed field shelter, horse gets stung by wasp, horse unable to leave shelter to avoid wasps, horse cannot get away, horse keeps being stung and loses it in a closed space.

At no point was I suggesting horses would not get stung in a field shelter!

Do you have data for the frequency of anaphylactic shock as a result of wasp stings in horses?

This post is about removal of a nest, let me introduce you to google if you want your question answered in statistical form.

The two I saw with anaphylactic shock and one I owned is enough for me seeing them foaming and heart racing and running round disorientated makes me want to remove a nest from a building of ANY kind, which is the topic of this thread.

ester

Visit site
So that's a no then.

Yes it is about the removal of a nest, not in a field shelter- you were the one who wanted to compare a horse shut in a shelter with a nest not me.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Wouldn't go near it.

Have known two people who suddenly moved from no real sensititivity to wasps (OW and no more) to full blown shock reaction, ambulance job. One nearly died. Pros for me every time. Money well spent.
I hate wasting money but I’d be inclined to agree!
last summer I attempted several times to destroy a wasps nest and got stung countless times! In the end we managed to pull the whole thing out of the shed and the hens ate the bloody lot ??

Lurfy

Visit site
I had 4 paper wasp nests removed from around my house by professionals. I was stung twice and it was really painful, I hate the rotten things. We currently have lots of bees hanging around our garden, hopefully they are less angry!

Abby-Lou

Visit site
It’s really easy to do yourself just remember to do after dark or before sunrise. £5 compared to what pest control professionals would charge that’s your haulage for a month

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Yay! Thread necromancy!

Wasps don't come out when it's really cold. So get dry ice pellets, and light a bonfire.

Put the dry ice pellets around the nest, then with a long pole pull the nest into a bag. Put the bag on the bonfire.

GreyMane

Visit site
No not at all everyone entitled to own opinion! I once picked up a bale where wasps had made a nest got stung badly, don’t mind ? spiders
I got stung about a dozen times by wasps after jumping in some heather as a kid. I don't mind them, my sister ended up far more scared of them than me.
I'm not keen on spiders though. Was helping clear out a barn once, and I ran whenever there was a big spider, but I managed to remove a dead rat, which the fearless (and fearsome) YO was not keen on doing. We've all got our personal bête noire!