Watchdog!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Think you might want a different vet Hardabit. Ringbone is most definitely degenerative.

However, thrilled to hear you're happy with the horse.

mtj

Visit site
Think you might want a different vet Hardabit. Ringbone is most definitely degenerative.

However, thrilled to hear you're happy with the horse.

Totally agree.

But would point out, is the ringbone outside or inside the joint? My horse does have articular (in the joint) ringbone, and I am under strict vet orders not to jump. We also have to be extremely careful with ground conditions.

Whilst he would be (physically) suitable for a happy hacker who enjoys quiet hacks, going for a jolly would be a poor idea.

I have seen this episode of Watchdog. Bargepole!!

Janeuk1

Visit site
BBC watchdog contacted me again recently - apparently David had written to them saying I had admitted on here that he had refunded ALL my money in full. I had to take screen shots and send a link to this forum to prove I definitely didnt write he had repaid me in full (as he never did). The guy just doesnt give up!

ribbons

Visit site
Blimey !!!!!!!!

Didn't see programme and must have missed this thread first time round, and haven't read it all now as I got bored reading through post after post of nonsense in order to find the odd one worth reading.
This thread, more than most has made me realise the lack of knowledge among horse owners these days is quite frightening.

No horse is 100% safe, it's an animal with an unpredictable nature sometimes, but to put 4 year old and 100% safe in the same sentence is a warning siren to any knowledgable buyer.

Someone who bought from this dealer and says featured in the programme posted they were NOT a novice and went on to say the horse they bought had a sensory ligament injury. At first I assumed a typo but no, it was repeated further on.
Anyone experienced know what a sensory ligament is ?

I'm happy to look at a horse from a dealer, I know my job.

If I need a car however, I take a knowledgable person with me, I just don't know enough.

A horse dealer is no different to a car dealer, they won't blatantly lie, they know their obligations under the law, but they can smell an inexperienced buyer a mile away and will use it to their advantage.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with the folk that think they know enough and clearly don't.

Obviously a horse is different to a car, its a living thing and I feel very sad for these horses. But for the buyers, no, they deserve to be exploited if they are too tight or too arrogant to take expert advice. Without this type of buyer, dealers would not be passing around these poor horses.

Trouble is so many people think they are experts, because they know how to put a saddle and bridle on.

I'm sure my post will bring many indignant replies but I have no intention of taking part in any response, its just common sense really, seek expert help, end of. The bottom line is, too many numpty buyers creating many unscrupulous dealers.
40 / 50 years ago a dealer was a damn good place to look for a horse, their customers knew to much for them to be able to pass off dodgy stock. Like most aspects of horse owning, those days are sadly long gone.

Janeuk1

Visit site
Blimey !!!!!!!!

Someone who bought from this dealer and says featured in the programme posted they were NOT a novice and went on to say the horse they bought had a sensory ligament injury. At first I assumed a typo but no, it was repeated further on.

yes --- it should have said Suspensory Ligament injury. An error in the description on my part, hardly makes me a numpty and doesnt mean I am a novice. However, I'm not a medical expert either and there are, I am sure, a lot of ailments that I would not be knowledgable on - Thats what I pay my vet for.

ozpoz

Visit site
Ribbons, I agree with you. I was having a similar conversation with a friend last night, and we both remarked on how there are far,far many more inexperienced horse owners around who , thanks to the internet, have learned key words and phrases of horsemanship and are perfectly happy to pass on their uninformed opinions. Many feel they are experienced horse owners and have no idea how little they know.
My children learned on 4 year olds - for financial reasons. They didn't have so much fun to begin with, but learned that to make a trustworthy pony takes time. After a proper initial training they could happily hack alone, do all pc activities,compete and be generally good child's ponies. However, they had experienced supervision and that is the missing factor often.
Any horse can be miserable or behave badly in a new yard. Unfamiliarity, badly fitting tack, lack of knowledge can all be factors.
I am equally wary of buying horses from private owners or dealers, or breeders. It is always a risk.
(Unlike a car which won't be stressed by strange surroundings or unsuitable handling/expectations.) I didn't see the programme and I don't know anyone involved!

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Blimey !!!!!!!!

Didn't see programme and must have missed this thread first time round, and haven't read it all now as I got bored reading through post after post of nonsense in order to find the odd one worth reading.
This thread, more than most has made me realise the lack of knowledge among horse owners these days is quite frightening.

No horse is 100% safe, it's an animal with an unpredictable nature sometimes, but to put 4 year old and 100% safe in the same sentence is a warning siren to any knowledgable buyer.

I'm happy to look at a horse from a dealer, I know my job.

If I need a car however, I take a knowledgable person with me, I just don't know enough.

A horse dealer is no different to a car dealer, they won't blatantly lie, they know their obligations under the law, but they can smell an inexperienced buyer a mile away and will use it to their advantage.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with the folk that think they know enough and clearly don't.

Obviously a horse is different to a car, its a living thing and I feel very sad for these horses. But for the buyers, no, they deserve to be exploited if they are too tight or too arrogant to take expert advice. Without this type of buyer, dealers would not be passing around these poor horses.
Trouble is so many people think they are experts, because they know how to put a saddle and bridle on.

I'm sure my post will bring many indignant replies but I have no intention of taking part in any response, its just common sense really, seek expert help, end of. The bottom line is, too many numpty buyers creating many unscrupulous dealers.
40 / 50 years ago a dealer was a damn good place to look for a horse, their customers knew to much for them to be able to pass off dodgy stock. Like most aspects of horse owning, those days are sadly long gone.

Have you never been to the sales? A lot of dealers DO lie. Blatantly. Thats why sales have such a bad rep, prices are crap and why most people wont take genuine horses to one....

You think novice buyers deserve to be exploited?? Really? Who else deserves to be exploited in your world? Naive/vulnerable young people? The trusting elderly man/woman, whose life savings have just been taken by some con-artist? People from abroad trying to earn a better living in another country?
Sure without gullible buyers these dealers would have no trade, but if the dealers could actually produce, train, work horses properly then maybe they could earn a living without stuffing novices with dodgy horses. In my opinion the real idiots are the dealers such as the star of this thread. (not bashing all horse traders btw)
40 / 50 years ago there were unscrupulous dealers as well as good, just like now.

co-jack

Visit site
I think what madaaarrrmm is trying to say is "you need at least 50 yrs experience to own a horse and jesus if you havent got that, DONT BUY ONE!!" simple

haha what a pompous pratt!!
You probably still have your horses bought FOR you, brought TO you, fully trained, tacked up, if it plays up you whack the groom!! lol
Your obviously old enough to do your own chin strap up though..ye? ye thought so x bless

whatever you are, i wish you success.. but hey this is a debate on dealers! why get involved if you think so low of the people who go there?

Too tight or too arrogant!!

This type of buyer.. ooo were geting in to types now?? what type are you???

Too many numpty buyers creating many unscruplous dealers??

Hey only the rich are allowed horses now...everybody better have a think now this lady has spoken haha x

NUMPTY brilliant word, nice view of how you see novices.
NOVICES will always want their own first horse x get real, rich or not, they will go to any lengths to get it, vet or no vet, heart break or love xxx