Water misting systems

Welsh Dragon

Visit site
I saw a water mister on demo at the Royal Welsh Show last year. The temperature was 30°c + and it was the best thing I came across all day! I stood under it for about 10mins! ?

I am pretty sure it was for cattle sheds.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think Gawsworth track livery have one. I’ve seen them on eBay, they’re basically hosepipe attachments. I was wondering about fitting them underneath the overhang of my stables, to take the temperature down in summer.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Bars and restaurants have had these for their outdoor seating areas for years, for customers' comfort; they seem to me to be basically the same thing as is used in greenhouses for increasing the humidity, but have the effect of lowering the temperature when you jet through water from the mains at 12°C..

I've read so often that horses are much better than humans at thermoregulating; why would a mister be necessary for the horse?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've read so often that horses are much better than humans at thermoregulating; why would a mister be necessary for the horse?
Because we often work them to an intensity that they wouldn't choose in the wild. A horse galloping and jumping round xc or doing an hour of dressage schooling gets blooming hot! Surface area to volume ratio works better at dealing with the cold, I think.

I saw them first at the end of the Hartpury 3de xc (runs in high summer) and have hankered after one ever since! I reckon a couple of misters at E and B in our arena would take the edge off, it's a sun trap with no breeze thanks to the hedge of doom!

Lois Lame

Visit site
Bars and restaurants have had these for their outdoor seating areas for years, for customers' comfort; they seem to me to be basically the same thing as is used in greenhouses for increasing the humidity...

Mist in greenhouses/glasshouses is used for cooling purposes, not for increasing humidity, and it's only installed for the purpose of plant propagation.

Cuttings of plants must be kept cool (on their tops) and can't be allowed to wilt. They will surely do so if mist doesn't come on every 20 minutes or so on a warm/hot sunny Australian day.

High humidity isn't a good thing. In fact, the glasshouse will be ventilated.

The mist is also not for watering. It doesn't water the cuttings. Watering will be done either by sprinklers or a hand-held hose.

Underneath the pots/trays of cuttings you will find a source of warmth. That's for stimulating root growth.

Morganfan

Visit site
I am in Perth Western Australia and I have one in my stables, it is by Holman, very flexible as you add the misters where you want them, other systems the misters are fixed. Very easy to install, did it in a couple of hours with my daughters help. You can also purchase a timer so they come on and off every few minutes so nothing gets really wet.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Interesting thanks.

My horses come in during the day for mid summer to get them away from the heat and flies, but I have wooden stables and they can get quite warm. I have plug in fans at the moment, but I don’t like leaving them unattended as they are a fire risk if they jam (we had a fan in the house do that, and the motor got really hot..) I’m thinking of running a line of misters along the edge of the overhang, as they’re just run off a hose. They seem pretty cheap and also easy to install. I just wondered what the pressure was like. I don’t want the horses or wood getting too wet!

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Mist in greenhouses/glasshouses is used for cooling purposes, not for increasing humidity, and it's only installed for the purpose of plant propagation.

Cuttings of plants must be kept cool (on their tops) and can't be allowed to wilt. They will surely do so if mist doesn't come on every 20 minutes or so on a warm/hot sunny Australian day.

High humidity isn't a good thing. In fact, the glasshouse will be ventilated.

The mist is also not for watering. It doesn't water the cuttings. Watering will be done either by sprinklers or a hand-held hose.

Underneath the pots/trays of cuttings you will find a source of warmth. That's for stimulating root growth.

Useful info, thanks.

I was thinking more of the kind of greenhouses you find here in Europe in botanical gardens (where we don't have such a big problem with overheating, and that can be regulated by ventilation); here, the misters are used to regulate humidity to simulate biomes such as temperate or tropical rain forests.

I had a quick search for cooling mist for outdoor seating areas" and found too many to list here, so just included two that look useful.

https://theplumber.com/the-pros-cons-of-outdoor-misting-systems/
https://www.ofresh.fr/en/atomizer-terracce/

If you search on Amazon for "mist cooling system", there are quite a few fairly inexpensive ones that run off mains water pressure, and look as if they have Gardena compatible hose fittings. If you already have a timer for garden watering, then you should be able to just connect the mister after that timer. Unfortunately, these have the jets put in the line at the factory.

Last edited:

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
We have them in Sydney as well and they were a godsend in the filthy summer we have just been through with temps reaching 40C+ on some days plus the horrible season we had with fires and smoke.

The two old Cushing horses can’t regulate their temperature plus can’t sweat properly so the mister basically kept them alive.

As the predictions are that we have trashed our planet and summers will continue to be revolting glad we installed it. Keeps the flies away as well.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
That’s a good article Keith-Beef. Sounds like we might need a pump as well. Anyway I think I will give it a try. Another job for my furloughed husband!!

Morganfan

Visit site
The Holman ones say the more pressure the finer the mist. I am in regional WA so have pressure pumps to run water, I have four stables with two lines in each and they worked fine. I am adding another line in each next summer to get better overall coverage.

MrsGTL

Visit site
They may not be a natural occurrence in the wild but our lot certainly enjoy it, especially those who grow very thick winter coats and don’t lose them until later in the spring/summer.

this is the 2nd year of having ours, it cost £12.99

Attachments

• 8C524796-F86A-4DB2-9589-50F23A11EC4E.jpeg
    8C524796-F86A-4DB2-9589-50F23A11EC4E.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 32
  • EA7A37A1-E0F8-44FC-8A54-92F898DBDA23.jpeg
    EA7A37A1-E0F8-44FC-8A54-92F898DBDA23.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 32

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just an update - we bought one and put it up this week. Although it hasn’t misted quite as much as we’d hoped (perhaps would with a pump) it has still been very useful in this heat. We’ve got one outlet (squirter!) in the middle of the overhang outside each stable door. It is more like fine, very light rain than mist, but the horses seem to like it. They have stood with their heads under it quite a lot (the stables have been v warm). I did wonder about putting them actually inside the stables, but hubby reminded me we’d just had to replace the roof and he didn’t want it getting wet! We might add another nozzle at each door to widen the area getting wet/cool. Oh, and it really doesn’t use a lot of water.

Lois Lame

Visit site
You wouldn't get mist from that. Mist is very very fine. If you bend over in it, you'll get teeny tiny little bits in your hair.

Fog is even smaller. Some people have installed foggers in their plant propagation houses believing them to be superior to mist, but IMO they are not. Not for plants. They don't seem as cooling.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Aren't they just hosepipes with tiny holes in?

No, that's a soaker, and you lay it on the ground around your plants and turn on the water at normal (relatively low) mains pressure.

There's a great explanation of different kinds of fogging and misting nozzles on this page. I learnt quite a lot from it, especially the use of compressed air to atomize low-pressure water.

ameeyal

Visit site
My horses have got one, it's fitted at the entrance of their barn ( they are in a track system with access to a barn ) my husband fitted it , it's an attachment from a field sprayer, then attached to the water pipe.

Auslander

Visit site
We had them in the indoor school of the yard I worked at in Germany -they were absolutely brilliant. They also had an automatic sprinkler system that came on when sensors in the surface decided it was too dry. Also great, until you were concentrating on what you were doing, and didn't notice the covers coming down over the mirrors (which was the 30second warning to get out of the school as fast as you could!)

Starzaan

Visit site
I’ve used them a lot, especially when I was a competition groom travelling to hot places with horses.
They’re absolutely fantastic. I’m going to be installing one in my new yard for sure.