waterford snaffle question ?

keekee

Visit site
I have recently purchased a waterford snaffle for my mare i have bought it for several different reasons but iv heard from a few people that it needs to be a 1/2 or 1/4 inch bigger than normal to sit nicely and round the corners of the mouth.....is this right as i asked in the shop i got it from and she said just get it as big as you would normally ...now i need to no because i want to put my rubbers on it which in theory will make it slightly smaller again .....and what r the reasons thanks xx

monkeybum13

Visit site
I was told they need to be slightly larger as they don't lie as flat in the mouth as say a french link
confused.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
mine is the same size as all of my other (many!) bits and have no problems with it though I dont use rubbers.

kerilli

Visit site
i prefer them to be slightly larger than normal, but it depends on the quality of the bit, whether the parts that attach to the rings are barrels (on the expensive ones) or narrower twists (on the cheaper ones) makes a difference imho. i posted pics of my 2 waterfords years ago, 1 cheap 1 expensive, to see if anyone else could tell the difference!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have the snaffle and gag and they are the same size as my other bits. Never had a problem and been using them for 6 years now. x

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I don't use rubber guards on mine and it has never rubbed my mare.

Lolo

Visit site
Our little mare had one which fitted her well, but it did rub when she didn't have rubbers but she was ridiculously sensitive and had very delicate skin...

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Iuse waterford gag and have it half inch bigger in size, fits nice and snug on corners of mouth, definately better to go bigger than small!!