We saw a monster on our hack today *WARNING - graphic photo*

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
You under estimate your horse's ability to realise that in everyone of those Welsh daffodils lurks a Welsh dragon hence the justifiable fear! Clever horse.

mytwofriends

Visit site
That's funny, OP! I first noticed this thread around 6am this morning and I thought, "no, a bit early for a graphic photo", so I moved on!

Lucky I did - I wouldn't have been able to deal with THAT at that early hour :) !!!!

turnbuckle

Visit site
You've been allowing the poor lad to watch vintage Dr. Who episodes, haven't you? I clearly remember a plot involving killer daffs, scared hell out of me c. 1972. Only yourself to blame.......

Merrymoles

Visit site
Aha but my boy is safe! His fieldmate thinks all daffodils (and snowdrops) should be trampled into mush wherever possible. Attack is the best form of defence in some cases! Fieldmate is a Welsh Irish draft so may well know about the lurking dragons...

Annagain

Visit site
Aha but my boy is safe! His fieldmate thinks all daffodils (and snowdrops) should be trampled into mush wherever possible. Attack is the best form of defence in some cases! Fieldmate is a Welsh Irish draft so may well know about the lurking dragons...

Is that a Welsh Cob x Irish Draught or an Irish Draught who was born in Wales?

Merrymoles

Visit site
An Irish Draught born in Wales - epic spelling fail there but in my defence both my online shopping and lots of men with chainsaws arrived while I was typing!

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
My horse will hack past anything at all, down busy roads you name it she doesn't mind it. Except- Decorative rocks! Why would anyone put them on their nice drive ways! She would rather run home backwards than go past one!

Annagain

Visit site
An Irish Draught born in Wales - epic spelling fail there but in my defence both my online shopping and lots of men with chainsaws arrived while I was typing!

Hadn't even noticed! Was just bemused by the "Welsh ID" reference. Reminded me of the Duke of Wellington saying "being born in a stable does not make one a horse" !

risky business

Visit site
I have also recently discovered that curbs on the roads are offensive, especially if it drops down to a drain!! It must be the entrance to the monsters cave I reckon!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Hadn't even noticed! Was just bemused by the "Welsh ID" reference. Reminded me of the Duke of Wellington saying "being born in a stable does not make one a horse" !

I guess breed was irrelevant - it was the being born in Wales and therefore cognisant of dragons I was getting at!

frostyfingers

Visit site
I've just come back from a hack and horse decided that the salt bins (a regular on the spooking front) which were fine to go past twice yesterday were transformed overnight into something that eats horses and were totally impassable without a lot of prancing and snorting. He passed quite happily yesterday the council people spraying white paint round the potholes - today it was "oh my god, look, white paint, who the hell put that there, no I can't possibly go past any of them". For the best part of a mile he was swerving round every single one. He has a very vivid imagination for one so generally gormless most of the time.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I have also recently discovered that curbs on the roads are offensive, especially if it drops down to a drain!! It must be the entrance to the monsters cave I reckon!

Drains are full of demons and nasty spiteful things that grab horses by the fetlocks and suck them down into the darkness - well at least that's what my mini shetti used to think.

Daffodils = no problem!!!!

diamonddogs

Visit site
Mine completely ignores daffs, so I really appreciate this timely warning. Thank you so much.

However, I couldn't get her into the yard one night. Planting, then running back, even a full rear. The problem was, someone had brought a brand new broom on to the yard without discussing it with her first.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A different car parked in the car park is the cause of much sideways-ness from my boy and rolling of the metal garage door makes him resemble a dragon :rolleyes3: Today, nothing was scary until we got to the yard and there was a yellow builder's bag with straw in it. Terrifying. Literally terrifying!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
God forbid it's dustbin day! My 18 yr old still shakes going past them, although in cow-parsley season his attention is mostly taken up by maximising his snacking when the rider isn't paying attention!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Ah but do any of you have a horse that spooks at things that are not there today but were there yesterday

Oh yes, that was another favourite of my old boy, he also hated anything white (great for road hacking....not) and patched roads - obviously the change in colour was terrifying!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Honestly there was an article recently that the supermarkets had been formally advised not to put daffs anywhere near the veg section incase people decided to eat them - they are actually poisonous!

Sad that clearly some humans are as daft as our ponies !!

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Honestly there was an article recently that the supermarkets had been formally advised not to put daffs anywhere near the veg section incase people decided to eat them - they are actually poisonous!

Sad that clearly some humans are as daft as our ponies !!

Oh god, mind you, doesn't surprise me... I used to work on a deli counter and a bloke once asked me if the bag his chicken was in was edible too. I just stared at him but it became apparent he was being serious. *sigh*

flirtygerty

Visit site
not spooking but funny just the same, my field is a mud bath with very little, if any grass, my oldies were brought in to the barn, to be fed up and off the mud, I ran out of hay, so had no choice but to put them back in the field and hand grazing, as normal she led like a lamb, until I turned towards the field gate, she gave me a look of pure horror, OH NO, NOT THE FIELD and promptly took off to the the nearest grass verge, being muddy, I just couldn't stop her (16 2 WB) I seriously strained my stomach fighting her and felt as though I'd been run over by a tank, but despite her best efforts at going back to the barn, she ended up in the field with the threat of the hunt hanging over her, bolshy tart

Last edited: