Wear High Vis - even in the summer...

touchstone

Visit site
I also believe that speed cameras are a cash generating exercise in a lot of cases, but I fail to see how hi vis can have the same money making properties, you can pick up a tabard for a couple of quid and even buy the fabric and make your own if needs be. You don't have to have the expensive top of the range versions.

I 've also used this quote recently, but I believe it applies again "There are lies, damned lies and statistics" - Personally I think a good dose of common sense should tell you whether you need to use it or not, if you decide not to then that's entirely up to you as an individual and I wouldn't like to see the use of it made compulsory, we are already far too much of a nanny state, but I find I get more respect from drivers when I do use hi-vis and so I will continue to do so. I do think we need to respect an individuals decision at the end of the day however much we might disagree.

Persephone

Visit site
I wonder if the cost of hiviz would come down if it was a legal requirement to wear it?

In France it's a legal requirement to have one tabard per seat in a car at all times. As a result they are sold for a euro each.

I always have requests to bring a load back when I go over :)

pastie2

Visit site
Lets please all lighten up, who really cares in the big scheme, far more important things to worry about. Hi viz, no Hi viz, lets hope that there isnt world war 3. How easily the human race can fall out on an issue such as this, god help us if we had a serious issue to discuss. They say dont feed the Troll, its more like dont feed the HHOers. Sometimes it makes the forum just a little bit more interesting. This thread would have disappeared into the mists of time without a little confrontation. Also I see there is a sister thread about Hi viz. Pinch and salt spring to mind. Just sometimes it might be a wind up!! Dont always take things so seriously!!

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
I also believe that speed cameras are a cash generating exercise in a lot of cases, but I fail to see how hi vis can have the same money making properties, you can pick up a tabard for a couple of quid and even buy the fabric and make your own if needs be. You don't have to have the expensive top of the range versions.

I 've also used this quote recently, but I believe it applies again "There are lies, damned lies and statistics" - Personally I think a good dose of common sense should tell you whether you need to use it or not, if you decide not to then that's entirely up to you as an individual and I wouldn't like to see the use of it made compulsory, we are already far too much of a nanny state, but I find I get more respect from drivers when I do use hi-vis and so I will continue to do so. I do think we need to respect an individuals decision at the end of the day however much we might disagree.

its nice to see some posters on here being adult enough and respectful regarding whether we agree on the yellow/pink gear. it has been a right witch hunt and all so unnecessary, i would not choose to wear it if i could still ride as i look out of my window and all i see is open mountain! i'd take my chance with staying safe, hence saving the air ambulance to have to bother to pick me up!

Queenbee87

Visit site
Firstly, can people stop using so many "!'s" please- I actually had to scroll across to read then :p

Secondly, I personally would wear Hi Viz if I hacked out for the reasons mentioned. All you can do is give the facts and if people don't want to wear it there is nothing that can be done to force them unless it is made law.

Thirdly, I think speed cameras would be more effective if they weren't bright yellow and stuck out like sore thumbs (speed cameras wear hi viz ;)) People know where they are and slow down just as far as the white markings on the road then put their foot back down. They should be slightly hidden and easy to move so that people never know where they are. If penalties were increased/ less points were allowed before a licence was revoked people would be less likely to speed.... Or knowing some of the idiots we come across, people driving at the same speed but just a higher number of drivers with no licence and insurance! Just can't win!! :D

benson21

Visit site
As many of you know, me and a friend had an accident out on the road just over 4 months ago, where both of our horses died. A car had lost controlled and hit us both. we were both wearing hi-vis, which does mean the driver cannont use the excuse that he didnt see us.

pastie2

Visit site
As many of you know, me and a friend had an accident out on the road just over 4 months ago, where both of our horses died. A car had lost controlled and hit us both. we were both wearing hi-vis, which does mean the driver cannont use the excuse that he didnt see us.

I know Benson, and I can assure you when I am posting I ALWAYS think of your tradgedy. Of course he couldnt use the excuse, but it still happened. I wish with all my heart that you and your friend still had your horses. I also wish that you could find another sort of interest with equines, that is why I respond to your posts and recommend a sec B!

benson21

Visit site
Thank you for your kind words. My point is, if we hadnt of been wearing hi-vis, he could use the excuse that he didnt see us, and I guess we would have difficulty proving differently.

pastie2

Visit site
Thank you for your kind words. My point is, if we hadnt of been wearing hi-vis, he could use the excuse that he didnt see us, and I guess we would have difficulty proving differently.

I understood that Benson, how are you anyway? I hope you get back into the swing of things equine. I never take lightly the thing you have been through, I promise you. It is a nightmare that I hope I never have to experience.

benson21

Visit site
It is a nightmare that I hope I never have to experience.[/QUOTE]

But you still choose not to wear hi-vis????

I am doing ok thanks, back to work soon, and driving again now.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
Oh lord......I have never heard such drivel before!!! If thats the case all walkers, runners, rock climbers etc should wear it too!!! Actually anyone who leaves their house should have hi-vis on!!! I will remember that next time I want to pop down the shop for a pint of milk!!!!!!

they should. Anyone going off into a remote area should wear at least bright clothing, it does help. Most climbers/walkers are pretty good at taking bright clothing, water, a map and a compass with them, it's just sensible. Working for the ambulance service, I am quite aware of how remote parts of the country can be, and someone flagging a road vehicle or air ambulance down with a bright orange jacket is a lot more likely to be spotted. Especially if you are lying in a ditch or hedge, or long grass. Also leave a note if you go out hacking alone, of where you're going and how long you will be. I've heard of a horse returning to it's yard minus the rider, and the yard having no idea where the rider was, and that was 2 hours later and still nobody had found the rider
I'm not even saying high viz, just don't wear black/green/navy! even pale colours such as baby blue will stick out more. Of course people always hope they won't fall off, but so many times at work (and not just riding) I hear stories that make me think "There but for the grace of God..."

Hullabaloo

Visit site
If you wish to believe the published statistics that's fine ....

Oh no, that would just be silly.
I'd much rather believe information given to me by someone on an internet forum which can't be checked because they are "not for public consumption"

To me making yourself seen on the roads is just common sense and good manners towards other road users.

hudsonw

Visit site
Does the trailer/horse box hi-vis arrows work? I was thinking of getting some for my trailer but hubby doesn't seem to think people take any notice?
I ride in hi-vis but only a band around my hat, but might get some leg wraps for the neddie after reading this post.

Meraut85

Visit site
I definitely wear high vis out an about! Its a shame that some drivers ignore it even when it says in huge writing- PASS WIDE AND SLOW!
Both myself and my horses are always bright and easy to see! better safe than sorry!
ive seen a couple of girls riding in my village without high vis- and one without even a saddle!! very dangerous especially with some of the windy blind bend roads we have!

Natch

Visit site
PeterNatt, we dont all live in conjested areas, please let us have our own judgement on whether we do or dont. Do we really want to protect ourselves in bubblewrap. I personally want to get on my horse and go, I dont wear Hi Viz if I go huntng, sorry but the Hi Viz and health and safety has taken the joy and pleasure awayfrom even blowing your nose!

Personally I'd ride in bubble wrap if it could prevent injury to me, slow drivers down or get an air ambulance to me quicker :D

As it is I'll stick to me high viz waistcoat, a bargain at £1 from Ikea: not too sure how much profit they will be making from that.

Oh, and I'm one of the weirdos who wears it even if not hacking on the roads. There's some seriously big and potentially scary machinery on a farm and if my normally 'proof horse decides to have a paddy regarding it the sooner the driver sees me the sooner he can do something about it to help me(like stop that bl00dy awful racket :D). That and its a lot of acres to search if I part company with him and am left in a field/ditch somewhere with a serious and time-critical injury; I want to be found ASAP!

Anyway, high viz actually increases the happy endorphins you get from riding. source: Naturally (2010)

I'm afraid I must be a miserable old bugger though, as I have never had any sort of pleasure from blowing my nose :(

Tamarisk

New User
Visit site
I just want to say that as a result of this forum I decided, last year, to start wearing some hi viz when out running and riding. I hav'nt gone mad, just a tabard, my horse is a big grey and I wear bright leggings for running. BUT, I absolutely, categorically, notice a different reaction from drivers.

Firstly, they thank me first!! (I always thank them when they slow but they thank me now when passing!), they slow down far, far earlier. I even had a motorcyclist stop the traffic to let me cross a main road (me and horse nearly fainted!). In general they simply react to the fact that you have made an effort too.

When I run, people make a huge effort to go round me on the country roads and don't just try to run me into a ditch.

So I will never go out now, whatever the season/weather/time of day without, because it makes a massive difference.

If one more person does this as a result of the forum then that has to be good.

Kenzo

Visit site
Hi viz and BP everytime for me, got that used to wearing my BP now, I'd feel naked without it, always my viz because it asks drivers to slow down and I'm not blessed with the best road worthy horses in the county put it that way.

Crackajack

Visit site
The way that i look at it is...if you are silly enough to go hacking/riding on the roads with no hi-vis then if a driver hits you do not blame them!
I am one of the lucky ones - we have a large field to the rear of our yard which we can go round...i don't wear hi vis then as if anything happens he will end up back at the yard.
If i go out i always make my horse wear the hi vis sheets you can get - it cost me £20 and there is no excuse for not seeing my horse's big fat yellow ass in that! lol

diamonddogs

Visit site
How many horses?

hi%20viz.ashx

I have to drive down a very narrow twisty lane hone from the yard and the other night I notice a flash of hi-viz through the hedgerow. I was totally convinced the horse and rider were round the next bend, but they must have been a quarter of a mile away. When I reached them, there were actually two riders, both teenage girls who obviously thought they looked very cool in their hi viz! Also, one horse's exercise sheet had a tail flap, the other didn't and the first one was even more visible.

defender

New User
Visit site
Hi Vis or No Hi Viz , If a driver hits you, you blame them ..as it is NOT your fault ..there is no excuse for bad driving ..please do not invent one.

Tharg

Visit site
Hi Vis or No Hi Viz , If a driver hits you, you blame them ..as it is NOT your fault ..there is no excuse for bad driving ..please do not invent one.

Riders should have responsibility themselves, it is up to each road user to make themselves as visible as possible.

If there is an accident on the road it is not always the drivers fault, horses can spook etc or the rider may be useless.

I fully support making the BHS Riding and Road safety test mandatory. To drive you have to have a license but what degree of competency is there for riders when they are on the road or other public place.

hairycob

Visit site
I agree with Tharg.

Defender - if a driver was absolutely crawling past you, giving a reasonably wide berth & you horse decided that a large leaf was a pony eater & shot across the road into the path of the car would that still be the drivers fault. I've seen it happen luckily the car driver was doing about 5mph & stopped about 2" from pony but poor guy was shaking.

Anyway hi viz helps so many more people see you than just driver & even though I am lucky & can do relatively little road work I know farmers who will stop their tractor/sprayer if they see you coming, I've had dog walkers in woods comment on how they could spot me through the trees & get their dog on a lead before I got to them. And unlike Pastie I'm not a perfect rider & have fallen off hacking occasionally. Should I be injured at least someone will be able to find me.

Pedantic

Visit site
Just like Pastry, I am a perect rider as well, just like Mary Poppins "practically perect in every way" but for the reasons stated by Hairyjob, I always wear HiViz when out hacking, not in the menage or jump field at the yard though.

Corrrrr blimey, going out in the dark as dark as Dick Van Dyke covered in soot singing Chim Chimeny chim chim cheroo with no viz on is for nutters, all together now, just a spoonfull of sugar.............................

Tharg

Visit site
Makes the medicine go down!

Then theres the damage to PR by riders who don't do their utmost to make themselves visible or use correct hand signals/acknowledge other road users.

Pedantic

Visit site
Makes the medicine go down!

Then theres the damage to PR by riders who don't do their utmost to make themselves visible or use correct hand signals/acknowledge other road users.

Maybe a thread on peoples attitude to others generally when using the roads cycletracks and Bridleways in general... "some" peoples atttiude on bikes when I am walking my dog on the bridleway in the mornings tsk tsk tsk