wearing or not wearing hats - let's discuss!

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
admittedly only unaffilliated, but even if she went well, and we started doing affilliated - I'd still rather wear a harnessed hat - and that goes for showing

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done a it of affiliated and also always worn a full harness hat and generally would do. But if I was ever lucky enough to go advanced and be allowed to wear top hat and tails, I probably would too. But I don't have a problem with people riding in beaglers if they want either.

Puppy

Visit site
On a slight tangent can I add: I'm always very put off when I see people selling horses, especially at dealers yards, and jumping the horses over decent size fences, all without a hat.

I'm sure its suppose to make you think "gosh that horse must be safe and straight forward ride for them to do that without thinking to put a hat on" but in fact it makes me think "How very unprofessional"
crazy.gif

Anyone else think that.....?!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
I only wear a protective hard hat during Trec competitions (you are obliged in France).
On outdoor trail rides (I've ridden thousands of km during the last 10years, and fallen off a few times) I normally wear a wide-brimmed hat which protects your neck better against sun-burn, and also prevents rain running down your neck!

I've met in Switzerland far more people with quite dramatic injuries from Skiing then riding accidents, and most skiers don't wear protective head gear!

I must admit, on a horse I don't know well, I might well put on a hard hat.

PS. For the Western fans, you can buy a protective fibre-glass skull cap with 3 point attachment which glues inside your cowboy style hat, thus preserving aesthetics, but protects better your head. Additional advantage, it stops your hat from being knocked off in low branches & rough stuff :))

katelarge

Visit site
Sadly if you have sensitive skin you will come up in a rash easily! I did have this problem too but in my case it was from wearing a hat that had been stored for ages. I think it had got a bit icky? If you've not cleaned your hat try going at the inside with the Charles Owen hat cleaner?

frannieuk

Visit site
IMO it all comes down to your personal consideration of the risks involved and the level of risk you are prepared to accept. I suspect that were I ever to have children I would change the level of risk I accept. Yes, ideally we would all wear our hats all of the time we were around our horses, but some of the enjjoyment is then lost. It is about a balance, and that is something that is individual to each person. IMO we are losing our freedom of choice to the over-empahasis on safety. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a free for all and I am not saying that we should all chuck our hats away but I think that adults should be free to make informed decisions and choices. I don't always wear my hat to school one of my horses, but I do wear it when loading them - my assessment of the risk involved and my choice!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Nobody over 18 (apart from me) wears a hat. Even BOF who's been hospitalised 3 times after falling off a hrose without a hat, STILL doesn't wear one. I assume that people don't wear hats because of the heat. It's a matter of choice as far as I'm concerned, like smoking or driving without a seatbelt.

loopeepee

Visit site
I would always advocate riding with a hat - however I have done, and still do sometimes ride without one.
Now that I have lost my nerve slighty due to previous horse incident on the road, and just not riding all that often, the only time I dont is if im hopping on Sullivan to take him to the field, or to the school for Nellie.
I cringe now at the fact I have gone on the road without one, and I regret doing it. Especially since incident above (I was wearing one then though). Hindsight and all...

jacks_mum

Visit site
"PS. For the Western fans, you can buy a protective fibre-glass skull cap with 3 point attachment which glues inside your cowboy style hat, thus preserving aesthetics, but protects better your head. Additional advantage, it stops your hat from being knocked off in low branches & rough stuff :)) "

now that's a damn good idea! It would also stop the sunburnt neck and wet soggy neck too!
laugh.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Casismum... I did try the Charles Owen stuff but it made it worse. I think I might try to wipe it with some hypoallergenic wipes, maybe baby ones, and see if that helps at all. I can cope with sweaty hair, just put a cap over it, but the rash drives me crazy because it itches like mad! (also doesn't look very nice when you are 23 either... looks as though you have acne!)

katelarge

Visit site
Personal choice is a very important thing and I agree about the general loss of control over our own choices in today's society. Still a bit gobsmacked that someone who's come off a horse three times wouldn't wear one though!!!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Another rather controversial thought.....
This is the same type of discussion as wearing seat belts in cars, speed limits etc.

The more you regulate and control safety by imposed laws and rules, the less the citizen takes the necessary care to think for themselves and to identify dangerous situations.

i.e. If you know it's extremely dangerous, you are very very careful.

katelarge

Visit site
No, a rash is really not nice and if your skin is very sensitive the hat cleaner will only make it worse. What about trying to line the hat? Could you cut up a non-bulky towel like a tea towel and try that? I'm at a loss if the headband didn't work though!

sally2008

Visit site
Like alot of people I always wear one to hack out or jump but often school my own horse without (unless it's a wild and windy winters night and he's likely to be particularly stupid!) mainly because I find it hard to concentrate if I get too hot. However, I would never ride I horse I don't know without wearing a hat, but I don't even own a body protector, nor to I ever see me feeling the need to get one.

My OH does nag me if he sees me without but I take the opinion that I am big enough and ugly enough to calculate the risk for myself and take it if I choose.

katelarge

Visit site

The more you regulate and control safety by imposed laws and rules, the less the citizen takes the necessary care to think for themselves and to identify dangerous situations.

Spot on Peter. More and more people in the UK are now driving without a seatbelt, and most of them are kids. The very fact that wearing a seatbelt is a law has mde them decide not to do it.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
[ QUOTE ]
INow that I have lost my nerve slighty due to previous horse incident on the road, and just not riding all that often, the only time I dont is if im hopping on Sullivan to take him to the field, or to the school for Nellie.

[/ QUOTE ]

God, that's weird - my Surname is Sullivan and we have a dog called Nellie. However my H is called James.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
My chin strap pi**es me off, simple as, so I usually do it up around the back of the hat. I will always wear a hat done up on the youngster but here at college we have to wear a ruddy hat for everything!

kat
xx

wattsy

Visit site
a friend of mine works for Porsche and one of his customers is a brain surgeon who actually wears a crash helmet when driving his 911 on the roads! He's seen so many terrible injuries that he wouldn't consider going on the road without one which makes perfect sense really..
Personally I wear a hat when hacking, sometimes when schooling, but if there are kids around will put one on (good example and all that), but don't wear hard hat when in competition. Think one poster had a v. good point when she said that we'll prob all be wearing body protectors as standard in the next decade.. I'm old enough to remember not wearing a hat when every day riding, or if we did wear a hat, no one really bothered to pull the strap down!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm glad you said that.
If I see a picture of a guy jumping a horse over a big fence with no hat on my initial reaction (right or wrong) is pikey dealer and I move onto the next ad!

horsegirl

Visit site
Of course it is personal choice in the end but it is a stupid choice (IMO) when such a simple thing could save your life. Yes you have the freedom to make these stupid choices but why would you want to?

Quick reply - not direct at Lopod

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
[ QUOTE ]
Love the idea of the protectively-lined western hat Peter. Daughter lives in Geneva..... guess what I want for Christmas!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK folks, I'll try and find out where you get these from.
I have a couple of friends who use them, and I think you can get them from Felix-Buhler.

katelarge

Visit site
I suppose because the payback of the choice makes it worthwhile! so, potentialy being paralysed for life or worse is an acceptable payoff against a cool head, or looking good or whatever. Which to my mind makes no sense, but there are people who are prepared to make the tradeoff, and that's their decision.

frannieuk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Of course it is personal choice in the end but it is a stupid choice (IMO) when such a simple thing could save your life. Yes you have the freedom to make these stupid choices but why would you want to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point but how many of us smoke, drink, exceed the speed limit, don't wear seatbelts, eat processed foods, take drugs, swim in the sea, etc etc etc etc.??

tractorgirl

Visit site
Becki, I have/had that problem and I have just about kept on top of it by hanging my hat to dry by it's harness rather than leaving it sweaty side down on the shelf and wearing a silk scarf - not too bulky! - headband or headscarf stylee under my hat. You look a bit odd, but the way I look at it, better to look odd with a hat 5% of the time than an odd rash 95% of the time! E 45 cream helps too

Puppy

Visit site
Ah glad I'm not the only one!
grin.gif

TBH, it put me off private sellers too - though I'm not sure i could totally pinpoint and describe why!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thank you so much... I will try that! The scarf thing sounds good, or maybe I could get hold of a cotton bandana...

E45 is one of my many lotions and potions... works wonders!

katelarge

Visit site
There's no denying your point here. I probably drink more than I should and have an overdue smear - but am I worried? Not as much as I should be!

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As a responsible adult I feel that I will make my own decisions and risk assessment (aargh hate that phrase!) with regard to situations when I ride without a hat - right or wrong its my choice!

[/ QUOTE ]

But you decision affects the ones you love - if you had a serious injury, who is going to look after you, wipe the drooling food, bath you, change your nappy, etc?

[ QUOTE ]
As for it being dangerous, do you always were a hat at all points when handling horses? If not then surely handling a new or unkown horse on the ground or even just in it's stable is just as dangerous as riding a trusted and well known stead in the showing or Dressage ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think good handling does include knowing when to wear a helment on the ground.

My friend's husband is a director of trauma and has theratened to give away all her horses if he ever hears she rode without a proper helmet - he has seen the risk, including people dying.