wearing or not wearing hats - let's discuss!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
1. 3 point attachement Glass Fibre inserts for "western" hats - I had a look in the current Felix Bühler catalog, but couldn't find the article. :-(( I'll check with my friend who has one in the next few days.

2. My point of view : Hat or no hat, asking an animal to jump an obstacle that it would clear only normally when desperately fleeing from a foe seems inherently dangerous. Most horses would simply walk calmly around a competition "obstacle" if given the choice rather then waste energy jumping it.
Obviously it's very exhilarating clearing a round of fences with zero faults, but at least it is toying with danger.
A good riding hat will help protect you, but you can never make an action sport 100% safe. There's always an element of risk.
Maybe horse riders are too obsessed with jumping competitions?

bettens

[ QUOTE ]
I also found that I got a rash across my forehead, I suppose like a heat rash or something, when I got a hot head as I have sensitive skin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Know what you mean

I got really fed up this year with a soggy hat, I have just bought a new one and decided to try cutting a piece of vileda super mop cloth to put in it - you can buy it as a big yellow cloth! The piece is about 12 cm square with a rounded front and sits across the forehead bit and goes up into the top of the hat.

Fantastic result, it soaks up all the sweat and you can then remove it at the end of a session, wash and replace. One cloth makes about 4 pieces to go in a hat so you can do multiple rides in a day and your head and hat stay clean and dry.

I found it to be fab.

Rach

MagicMelon

Visit site
I always wear a hat. I have ridden a few times without one (in the USA where it just wasn't "done"!) and felt naked!

I had a horrid nightmare a few months ago where my horse fell on the road and I smashed my head in half as I wasnt wearing a hat. It was awful! So that dream scared me enough!!

"i was only jumping 1m05 tonight without one, yes i know how you all feel about this but i trust the pony 150%! " but ANY horse can accidentally trip etc.! I trust my horses 100% as well however I would never consider jumping ANYTHING without a hat, no matter how low it was. Trust won't stop a horse having an accident and chucking you off. Imagine the horse stepping on your head or something.... Yuck!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
i always wear a hat, my brain is limited in its capacity on a normal day, i hardly want to forget any more (or worse)

having seen the consequences of a fall onto concrete (from slow speed) WITH a hat on, i would never ever sit on a horse without one, & i do at times wear one when handling and catching as well, a flying hoof can do as much, or more damage as a flying dismount

you wouldn't drive a car without a seat belt on, or cross the road without looking, or run a red light/ level crossing, really they are all the same, as you are putting yourself in danger, as people have discussed hats CAN be uncomfortable, and casue problems, but the ARE plenty of different types of hats, going without simply implys you haven't bothered to find one that is more comfy, which comes back to laxiness and stupidity, and the obvious one.... vanity! i'd rather look slightly comical in my comedy hat silk, than be sat, brain damaged and dribbling, totally oblivious to my surroundings.

as has already been said, freak accidents happen, thats life, accidents happen, so prevention is better in most cases, other wise we will perpetuate the blame culture we are living in, with someone sueing someone they bought a horse from becasue they fell off it... FFS its a LIVE animal, it has a mind of its own, it can decide for absolutly no reason to behave like a prat..... good example, cantering pickles this morning, same as normal, when he started bucking and accerlerated rapidly, WHY.... he'd been stung by a wasp! totally out of anyones control!

muffinino

Visit site
I had it drilled into me by my first riding instructor that I was never, ever to get on a horse without a hardhat and now I never would. The chances of me getting to show at HOYS, for example, in certain classes, or do top level dressage, where top hats are worn, are very slim, so doubt I will ever get on a horse without one. Not knocking these classes/dressage people at all and I think I might make an exception if I ever got the chance, but I can see no reason why you would risk going without out one. And yes, I have had my life saved in a fall by one, which made me ever so greatful to Fiona Griffiths for instilling hat wearing into me.