Weekend plans 2nd weekend in June

SEL

Visit site
Mine are lovingly known as fattie, farty, shorty and junior so potato would fit in well ?

Shorty (aka microcob) did her longest hack since her injury yesterday. A bridlepath we normally have a blat down but she's had to walk for months. Vet wants work increased and apparently canter is better for her than her trotting pony trot so canter we did. No rodeo, just a very sweet short canter and she asked to go again when she'd got her breath back. Pranced home very pleased with herself.

Junior is having a 4yo shape change and I've borrowed a saddle from a friend until I can get one fitted. We need to work on passing the pig after a proper meltdown last week. I might hire the pig and bring it home at this rate ?

Michen

Visit site
I think naming my beautiful little horse after slang for the loo wins hands down ? Boggle was bad enough just because the poor thing had frightened big eyes coming off the Ireland lorry. To shorten it to Bog is something I fear he is one day going to several punish me for.

smiggy

Visit site
Took small brown mad thing to her first bd comp today, nice 7.30 start. She was her usual mad self, took umbrage at an arch in the corner so there were some interesting shapes ridden ? best things I can say are we didn’t come last, I didn’t die, and the bacon bap was 10/10.
tomorrow taking small slightly broken cob to parwood, same test so no manic test learning.Slightly playing Russian roulette with him as he will either be fab or be a bit lacking in energy if chest bad, then I don’t push him obviously. Another nice early start but again a bacon bap has been promised so silver linings and all ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Had our XC lesson today and, unusually for me, I didn’t really enjoy it. The venue was difficult to get to due to traffic, it was windy, Baby Horse had the day off yesterday (as I was working and then went to watch dressage at Bramham): I don’t know, something was bothering us.

Thinking about it, the venue was beautifully kept but the footprint was small. The fences were closely stacked so we never did really get into a rhythm - I’m talking I missed the kind of canter where they release their breath, use their diaphragm. There just wasn’t space, there were so many fences dotted in a small area, it was spooky, many of the fences didn’t have a ground line (which bothered me)… It was go, stop, turn, go, stop and I just didn’t feel enthused to ride positively forward in the situation.

The distances were short, so again I wasn’t able to ride forwards. When Baby Horse isn’t ridden positively forwards he either finds something to spook at or just falls to trot and takes his time. He did the former for the first few fences and the latter for the last few. You couldn’t throw your heart over a fence as you had to dodge sideways or pull up just after. It just felt unsatisfactory!

A couple of stills from video, it was OK. Good points included that it was a new venue and that he jumped what I put him at. It was our first step down into water, which he did first time of asking. Our first coffin too (as opposed to straight ditch). But, I think I prefer going to a bigger venue next time as it just seems to encourage me to ride more positively.

286487560_5588912741142894_7209988194871784234_n.jpg287013156_761745538316644_6196910899393895178_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well a sort of success.... the warm up plan worked well. I went in and warmed up then exited to the lorry park while continuing to ask her to work. And she got nappy so we had a chance to work on that. Went in and out twice more then saw the horse before me halt and just trotted straight in. I am usually too polite and wait to be called which means halting in the gap but Katie's U18s coach told her not to bother and go straight in - so I figured if a BE coach says that that's fine then it must be fine.

So that all worked well. What worked less well was the walk work straight after the 2nd canter! She was just jogging and being generally very enthusiastic. But we got some nice work IN A TEST so I'll take that.

She ran out at one of the SJ fences which was odd. Never done that befre in comp and training but she backed off the fence the instant she saw it. Wish they coukld talk sometimes!! But after a look she was fine and the rest of the round was neat and controlled. Then an awesome XC clear in the time. Super happy with her. I'll post pics when I get some x

Sheep

Visit site
I think naming my beautiful little horse after slang for the loo wins hands down ? Boggle was bad enough just because the poor thing had frightened big eyes coming off the Ireland lorry. To shorten it to Bog is something I fear he is one day going to several punish me for.

I will choose to take Bog as a reference to the geographical feature and not the type that has a flush ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A hack today, but one of our longer ones. It was perfect. The wind kept the flies away, it was warm enough, quiet, super.

The best bit? I can really feel BH getting stronger. At one stage, the day after XC he would have been tired. Today, 1 hour 40 minutes striding along with a couple of bouncy trots. He took everything in his stride, even being chased by a tractor in a roadside field, turning hay. Did the two metal canal bridges, came back on the buckle end.

286939543_684541885986026_444120204228835028_n.jpg

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a great lesson yesterday at dressage club. Working on shoulder in and leg yields and bot felt good and looked good too! He was a bit tense and unsure, the weather was bad and the footing terrible which didn't help things but he tired SO hard and thats all I can ask.

Today out show jumping was great. A good learning day for me in particular. Both horses were clear in the first round and Coolie won and Henry was 3rd! Very proud of both of them. Henry had found the war, up quite challenging but he put down a good round in the ring which is the main thing.
689FDED0-475E-45A8-AB7C-B329EB272BDB.jpeg
The second round Henry was a lot steadier and I didn't get him in front of my leg enough and then didn't keep my leg on. We had a couple of rails and a stop because I didn't support him, but I know what needs to improve and we will get there. I need to get stronger myself too!
379719E5-A3A0-4B34-B8FE-AFB5185CB7FD.jpg
Coolie on the other hand jumped his little feet off, just tapped a pole, he got a bit flat in the corner and I needed to lift his poll coming into the fence but I needed slightly more breaks today than we have recently. I am happy he feels well though!
3F977E3D-B52A-40CF-8861-79F33FF9F3CF.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
We had a play on kelsalls arena eventing field yesterday morning. They're doing 30 minute hires which was just fab for us.
As it was schooling I went with a view to working at least some of the 90 fences. We had a few stops, which was frustrating but not hugely worrying. He just needs to know he can do it - he's a careful dude and looks after himself so if he's worried he says no.
Bits where we struggled we schooled a bit more and worked over.
He's not as fit or lean as I'd like - casualty of summer grass and my holiday - and he's definitely more game when he's fitter. So stops were disappointing but not hugely worrying. Importantly, nothing was an out and out No! A couple of times we popped 80s then the same 90 fence. Where the 90 was a straightforward option he was absolutely fine every time. And anything 80 he was immediately bold and brave to
FB_IMG_1655036342968.jpgFB_IMG_1655036353948.jpgFB_IMG_1655036358307.jpgFB_IMG_1655036367753.jpgFB_IMG_1655036384524.jpgFB_IMG_1655036396127.jpgFB_IMG_1655036399692.jpgFB_IMG_1655036404940.jpgFB_IMG_1654979792239.jpg

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Little Welshie and not-so-small child were out for the first time since last September yesterday; winter plans went massively to pot after child had an accident at school in October and was on crutches until Easter, and then little Welshie ended up on box rest with uveitis. They’ve been back together now for about a month, so we figured it was time to just bite the bucket and get them out for a bit of very low key unaffiliated Intro dressage to see what happened - madam got all spooky and green, then tripped over her own feet towards the end of Intro A, watching the video back I still have no idea how he stayed in the saddle! But somehow they were ok, and managed a 60.65% for 4th in Intro A and 62.17% for 6th in Intro B - not their best scores, but far more than i was expecting of them, yesterday was purely about getting her back on the box and away from her mates, and seeing how they both coped after so long away and so much changing for them both.

A few quiet days for them both now whilst I make sure the little madam is ok after her trip, and concentrate on the increasingly feral beauty that is baby Penny!

3DB60E78-300E-4432-9CF2-D32D975DBEAA.jpeg

19E697ED-2524-489E-BFB3-80D9482F72C9.jpeg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A very warm long morning at RC show gained us 4 frillies from 4 classes, 4th, 2 x 3rds and a 1st.
Most chuffed as apart from 1 flea up her backside in 1 class, she was a good girl throughout.
Had a very uncharacteristic stop at fence 5 in the workers 1st thing, but then went on to complete. Hadn't realised only 3 had gone clear and there had been many others stopping and I'd wandered back to the box. Got called back for 2nd part and was fortunate to be best of the faulters, so got a 4th, v chuffed.
M&M ridden she went foot perfect and duly won, even more chuffed
The RC pony class was in the whp ring and the clear round adjacent (which was very noisy!) so B got her knickers in a twist and attempted to pull like a train and then when that was denied, she got behind the bridle instead, moose! Managed to cover the worst up and blag a 3rd tho! ?
Glad I went, reminded me not to go showing even if it's on the doorstep, I do need an annual outing to remind me tho..... ???

Michen

Visit site
BCA BE90 and 5th place in the prize money, offsetting the fuel price increases nicely- thanks Bog.

Excuse my language ? the last fence at BCA 90 was shared with the 100 and the novice and shared the heck out of me.

Bog, not so much.

Full report tomorrow but very proud of him, two top 5 affiliated placings in the last few weeks ❤️

[video]

290882BF-BA2C-4B50-A88B-591E3173EA98.jpeg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Couldn't resist some Lottie pics: Enjoying her mash at the end!

287623888_178823447910578_3861131168621725860_n.jpg
287595877_178823811243875_4188410374362016331_n.jpg
287952861_178825347910388_52742385451863296_n.jpg

286452766_5227574507322588_5122775481933312113_n.jpg

teapot

Visit site
Yesterday wasn't my finest day but positives to take underneath :confused:

First horse I'd only sat on once before and had left me cold. He almost got me out side door five mins in doing a stupidly unnecessary spook, which did nothing for the confidence, and spent the next hour trying to work him out (read as pick a battle with each other for no reason at all) I had bits of improvement, but was surprised how much I was feeling the week before mentally and physically so had an hour of 'why am I riding so badly? Oh god I'm riding badly, why am I riding so badly' on repeat. Great exercise of doing something different on each side of the arena to keep busy so one for the bank though.

Second lesson was a private on the advanced how do you ride this big chap. Totally didn't deserve him, he needs and deserves 100% A game. After a bit of a nudge I cantered him, and despite a brief steering failure that meant I encroached into another lesson's arena space by all of three metres (and a bitching gobby junior coach later :rolleyes:) it did me some good. Worked on collection through the seat only, plus some demi pirouettes and was beginning to come together quite nicely as I finally started to chill out. Until we had a tack malfunction. Not sure it should have happened, and I was lucky it wasn't worse nor horse react worse than he did, but decided we'd end it there.

Coach is wonderful and seems to get how I think/work a lot quicker than others have done. Nothing's ever a 'well get over it' or 'shit happens', just decent two way conversation. All while the horses coming first. The respect and understanding they have for how horses work and what they need is a whole other level and one I'm enjoying greatly. I took some time washing big lad off, and made a point of saying I had done so to said gobby staff member, which left them spluttering for words... I'll accept shared arenas and tack malfunctions when paying almost three figures a lesson etc, but I will not take bitching in earshot ;) and then buried myself in a huge bowl of chips to cheer myself up!

Last edited:

Peglo

Visit site
Well I was spewing this morning at 6 o clock. Not the best start to a show day but not overly surprising since I was drinking prosecco like it was going out of fashion yesterday ? anyway somehow managed to pull myself together and fetched my pony ready to be picked up at 8.

we got ready way too early for our first ridden class. Tali is in season and didn’t want to leave her travel companion so wouldn’t warm up nicely. She stood nicely sometimes but then would start bunny hoping and being a bit of a pest. I should’ve set her about doing something and using her brain as it helps but honestly I was in no fit state ??
Once we got in the ring she wouldn’t walk and just jogged persistently but someone else was doing a horse change so by the time she came back Tali had jogged herself out and she was so good. She cantered on the right reins, transitioned when I asked and stood waiting like a show pony. I winged an individual show and I couldn’t have asked for more from her.
we left that ring and ditched the saddle and went straight into the inhand class. She was foot perfect in it (other than trying to eat the long grass at the side, which was a successful endeavour but those chompy lips really do make me smile.)

we were 2nd last in both classes but we got a 4th and 5th rosette so I’m just delighted to get them ? we were also up against real showing horses with double bridles and not plastic saddles ? I thought Tali’s halo may have been finally tarnished when we first went into the ring but no, she is still a super golden pony.

I missed my jumping class but the next class up had some doable jumps as they ranged from 40-60cm so we did that class instead. You got to pick which jumps you did and how many times to go over each and were awarded points per jump. You had a set amount of time to gather as much points as possible. It was a really fun one. If my brain hadn’t been so prosecco’d I could have picked a better combination but she jumped everything I put in front of her and didn’t knock any down and we ended up 5th out of 7.

I’m not going to lie, I was so happy to get home and have a snooze on the couch with a cat ? but a successful day.

@Michen Bog is just so fun to watch. Well done you guys.
@Ambers Echo Lottie is stunning. Fab pics!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Full reports in the producing 5/6 yos thread - but Isaac has had a bumper weekend - 5th in the BE90 at Berriewood with a double clear on saturday, and then a win in the yard dressage comp with 69.8% under a listed judge in his first ever Novice test. He is just feeling so much more established now - will definitely get him out to some BD shows again in the Autumn and try and get our area festival/regionals points at Novice. Lovely to be sat on a horse which moves well enough to hopefully be able to creep up the scores a bit more when he strengthens up.

Oh and the trip to Berriewood was the maiden voyage of my new lorry which was delivered to me by Tristar on Friday, which is super exciting. Old lorry went off to the mechanics today to get put through its plating - and has a new owner on the yard subject to getting through the plating. Sad to say goodbye to her though - its farewell Ruby and hello Deidre! She's quite a bit bigger and very shiny and new at the moment... although I do keep hitting my head on the cupboards as I haven't quite got used to the layout yet!!

Forgot to say @Michen - Bog looking fantastic and making very light work of that XC - congrats on the prize money, that's never something to take for granted in eventing!!

Michen

Visit site
Full reports in the producing 5/6 yos thread - but Isaac has had a bumper weekend - 5th in the BE90 at Berriewood with a double clear on saturday, and then a win in the yard dressage comp with 69.8% under a listed judge in his first ever Novice test. He is just feeling so much more established now - will definitely get him out to some BD shows again in the Autumn and try and get our area festival/regionals points at Novice. Lovely to be sat on a horse which moves well enough to hopefully be able to creep up the scores a bit more when he strengthens up.

Oh and the trip to Berriewood was the maiden voyage of my new lorry which was delivered to me by Tristar on Friday, which is super exciting. Old lorry went off to the mechanics today to get put through its plating - and has a new owner on the yard subject to getting through the plating. Sad to say goodbye to her though - its farewell Ruby and hello Deidre! She's quite a bit bigger and very shiny and new at the moment... although I do keep hitting my head on the cupboards as I haven't quite got used to the layout yet!!

Forgot to say @Michen - Bog looking fantastic and making very light work of that XC - congrats on the prize money, that's never something to take for granted in eventing!!

Thanks and congrats to you too! Will go hunt down your report in the other thread.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We managed a respectable 4th (64%) and 7th (63.4%) in the prelim and novice. Mostly just losing balance on corners (he's a lot to get round a short arena) but did some nice work and stayed with me and tried. (Frank would totally have lost his sh*t discovering there was a car and flowers in his 'home' arena). Hopefully they will run some more as we don't have transport but he definitley enjoyed getting tarted up and prancing about.

This photo is mostly to demonstrated to those who remember Frank, the very much fit in a square box 14.2 how Jim is ermm definitley not that, and it's genuinely a bit concerning that he doesn't feel *that* big anymore. ?

287816000_10166449951955438_724083005189394299_n.jpg

Michen

Visit site
We managed a respectable 4th (64%) and 7th (63.4%) in the prelim and novice. Mostly just losing balance on corners (he's a lot to get round a short arena) but did some nice work and stayed with me and tried. (Frank would totally have lost his sh*t discovering there was a car and flowers in his 'home' arena). Hopefully they will run some more as we don't have transport but he definitley enjoyed getting tarted up and prancing about.

This photo is mostly to demonstrated to those who remember Frank, the very much fit in a square box 14.2 how Jim is ermm definitley not that, and it's genuinely a bit concerning that he doesn't feel *that* big anymore. ?

287816000_10166449951955438_724083005189394299_n.jpg

Very cool to see pony pics from you again!