Weekend plans, 2nd weekend in March

Pippity

Visit site
Nada. Blue's tied up again. And I have absolutely no idea how.

She was sluggish to hack at the weekend and, as the vet was out anyway, I had bloods pulled as a precaution. CK was very slightly elevated but AST was off the chart. (It's gone off to a different lab for a second test, because their chart is bigger.)

All I can think is that she's hoolied too hard in the field and done it that way. I'm at a loss to know what else I can do for her. She's in a pretty much bare field, her hay is soaked for 24 hours. Her feed could have less sugar (Saracen Re-Leve) but it's the only thing she'll eat with any reliability and I have to get the vitamin E into her somehow.

I'm waiting for results on blood tests for vitamin E and selenium levels, which will hopefully point us at something else to try.

Michen

Visit site

She was sluggish to hack at the weekend and, as the vet was out anyway, I had bloods pulled as a precaution. CK was very slightly elevated but AST was off the chart. (It's gone off to a different lab for a second test, because their chart is bigger.)

All I can think is that she's hoolied too hard in the field and done it that way. I'm at a loss to know what else I can do for her. She's in a pretty much bare field, her hay is soaked for 24 hours. Her feed could have less sugar (Saracen Re-Leve) but it's the only thing she'll eat with any reliability and I have to get the vitamin E into her somehow.

I'm waiting for results on blood tests for vitamin E and selenium levels, which will hopefully point us at something else to try.

Liking for sympathy not to “like”! Sorry to read that, hopefully just a one off.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
XC schooling today was interesting… came off the box absolutely wired, and continued to be so. Showed himself up by behaving worse than the 4yo we went with. Ditch demons successfully faced though! plus once I got him forward some lovely jumps, and finished with some nice canter circles away from his friend.

I don’t understand why he gets himself in such a state schooling but take him round an XC course at a comp and he’s 90% fine… Will make a separate post for suggestions

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Just back from a very long day at Oasby - just over 3hrs each way in the lorry!! BUT great start to the season. Competitive 31.8 dressage in a section where only 1 (Oli Townend) went sub-30. Had the first two showjumps down but then woke up and pinged the rest. SJ was causing big issues though, so this wasn't a total disaster.

Then flew round the xc finding it very easy. Just picked up 1.6 time and managed to finish 6th in a section of 30 or so.. so top 20% - although getting a serious case of the "what ifs" if we'd left the first two (smallest) SJs up ?

But that's step 1 of the get to a 2*long plan completed ??

cropped-&-C6PKveGdNWYDKv3QKeRmQjCa99d2-&-49189b41-e54e-41e5-a712-56d9182aa6c1.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Just back from a very long day at Oasby - just over 3hrs each way in the lorry!! BUT great start to the season. Competitive 31.8 dressage in a section where only 1 (Oli Townend) went sub-30. Had the first two showjumps down but then woke up and pinged the rest. SJ was causing big issues though, so this wasn't a total disaster.

Then flew round the xc finding it very easy. Just picked up 1.6 time and managed to finish 6th in a section of 30 or so.. so top 20% - although getting a serious case of the "what ifs" if we'd left the first two (smallest) SJs up ?

But that's step 1 of the get to a 2*long plan completed ??

View attachment 88912
Cracking update! Well done despite skittling 2 sj !

oldie48

Visit site
Well done to those of you out XC esp RachelFerd, always great to be in the ribbons! AE, Lottie looks great.
I hacked Mr D on Friday and wasn't expecting to ride him again until Tuesday but owner messaged to say she had a cancellation for her pole work clinic and did I want to take the space. Yes, please! He was super, we even left the ground (not really, just cantered over some raised poles) but we both really enjoyed it. We even had a FC (not asked for) to correct my mistake. He's a real sweetie! Schooling on Tuesday and intending to get the lorry back on the road. Should I sell? Owner said today she'd be happy for me to take him out on my own but it probably would be more sensible to hire. Decisions!

TheMule

Visit site
Nova went to a jump exercises lesson at a new venue today- it was a bit more basic than ideal, but they had a PC show on in the next door arena so he learnt about the hustle and bustle in a really nice relaxing way and he jumped super, just working on rideability

Here he is, learning about course walks!

87EF6E70-DEFF-4336-B0CE-F02FFC531E5D.jpeg

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Spanish potato had her second ever jumping lesson today and she was so good!

We introduced her to doubles and in an effort to calm down her being so keen, we would jump through the double, then put the poles on the floor and walk over them (even stopping for a treat ?) and then jumping again. Seemed to really work.

Don't think my jumping was too bad either to say I haven't done it properly for 10 years and I'm still in a dressage saddle. Better get saving for a proper saddle now then....

Vid below :)

https://fb.watch/bJW716yXRe/

ihatework

Visit site
Had a rather full horsey weekend.
Super time at the Ingrid masterclass, came away feeling like I might want to get back on a horse properly!

Today I went to watch the 6yo homebred have a lesson. He is really starting to look quite special, he went to world class last week and got a very good report card!

Both days I have worked with the 3yo’s - they are both now being good citizens and will bridle/saddle/cross-tie without fuss and doing groundwork in the arena plus some poles.

Another week or so and I reckon I’ll be on Turnip.

Also dropped my spaniel off at the vets ? she has been lame and a CT scan confirmed HIF, so surgery for her tomorrow.

4C08E85A-5598-43B0-A8B1-0C12CD6D4043.jpeg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
A much needed better day today. Yesterday hit me harder mentally than I expected. But nothing spending the afternoon on the beach with horse and dog can’t fix!

He was a complete gentleman today, despite the wind and sand blowing everywhere. Did some “schooling” down there too, and despite a couple of attempts to use his shoulders against me, did eventually settle and work nicely. Transitions, circles etc. Halo somewhat restored.
89B55938-7101-4CDC-A17F-A31C4AFABEA5.jpeg

SEL

Visit site

I'm sorry to hear this. It's P1 isn't it? There's nothing else going on is there? Sometimes pain can trigger episodes. CK relatively normal but AST up would point to something happening a few days before testing. Robaxin used to help mine bounce back.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear this. It's P1 isn't it? There's nothing else going on is there? Sometimes pain can trigger episodes. CK relatively normal but AST up would point to something happening a few days before testing. Robaxin used to help mine bounce back.

The vet's suggested a muscle biopsy to see if there's something going on in addition to the P1. I'm waiting for the results of the vitamin E and selenium tests before deciding for sure, but I'm leaning towards it.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a great lesson at dressage club! Henry is starting to feel very smart about everything, he has grown up a lot in the last year. I think a year mostly off did him good.

We worked on getting his frame lower and rounder, instead of short and tense, then building in some leg yielding while maintaining a longer neck. Then some counter canter to finish. He felt very strong and once I let go of his face he stayed soft and round. So I need to remember to have slightly longer reins and ride with my legs more.

Sheep

Visit site
We went to Tyrella yesterday for a school round xc, OH on board tho, not me! EI had a pre-season 2 phase on Saturday, OH had entered but withdrew as my Nan was very ill and we weren’t sure what would happen. Sadly she passed away on Friday evening and after much deliberation we decided to go yesterday for schooling.
Horse was super, he has a great attitude and felt very keen and confident. He is coming on leaps and bounds with water, he has always needed a good look first but is increasingly happy to bounce in first time now which is great.
Our friends daughter came along too with her horse, who is still a little bit green but made brilliant efforts and displayed a super attitude to tackle most of what she was presented with calmly and carefully.

3CFF2BE9-7E9E-491F-B407-27D9AAC6D88A.jpeg

They didn’t do a huge amount, the course was quite short and so they more or less popped each jump once (mix of 80s and 90s) and then wandered down to the beach (accessible directly from the course!).

58E1FD5E-979A-4252-A76C-1ECB93EF6D82.jpeg

Our friend’a daughter then had a quick pop on our big fella. She is a super little jockey and did an excellent job, she’s a much better rider than us so it was lovely to see ☺️ Though she looked very tiny on all 17hh of Big Unit ?

D3FD9F78-8E0C-4F39-8CD6-DC8D7EC9DFE5.jpeg40103651-CF56-4789-B446-06CFA8AA3E80.jpeg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
What an amazing camp we have had. This was a dress rehearsal for eventing. The dressage test went really well last weekend so I needed to see what she would be like on grass and round a course.

On day 2 of camp the instructor (my usual RI) built a course of 80+ with 12 fences including a 1 stride double, 5 stride related distance in a straight line, a related distance on a curving line and a turn back. Harder than you'd normally see at an event. We warmed up and then just rode the course and she was fab. Listening, waiting, jumping confidently. Then in the afternoon I went back onto the 80 acres and we did some 7-8 fence lines going all round the field to see what she would be like on long runs between fences. And she was great. I had no problem maintaining control and even finished over the rail-ditch-rail after opening her up to see if I could get her back and she came back to me nicely.

So I have entered Northallerton in 3 weeks and am super excited. Also terrifed but I'm going to be no matter how long I leave it. I had my ladder of steps to achieve before entering an event and we have ticked them all off so I am as ready as I'll ever be. I've got to this point quicker than I epxted to - I honestly thoughtcamp woukld show me where we needed work! Which is what happened first time I took Amber to camp. I was basically told to sell her! But it just could not have gone any better. So, so happy.

275544363_4980162822063759_3589793345369618987_n.jpg
275870372_4980162875397087_4159891322241566622_n.jpg
275787032_4980162985397076_1335649486263466571_n.jpg
275540670_4980163128730395_6665892640662927441_n.jpg

daffy44

Visit site
Sheep, I'm so sorry about your Nan, but thank you for posting those pictures, a massive nostalgia hit for me! I remember riding on the beach at Tyrella when I lived in NI, it was one of my absolute favourite places, I loved riding on the beach and in the sea at Tyrella, are there still masses of spectating seals when you ride there?

Sheep

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your nan.
That beach looks incredible- where is that .
Thanks AE. Lottie looks fabulous in your xc pics, she’s coming on leaps & bounds!

The beach is at Tyrella in Co. Down - on a clear day you get fabulous views of the Mourne Mountains too - gorgeous setting. Pic below is from a previous outing a few years ago :)

6BBD204D-05DC-4DA6-AE77-0A38FAC34323.jpeg

@daffy44 thank you for your kind words. There was no sign of seals unfortunately but will keep an eye out next time we are there!