Weekend plans - end of July

Roxylola

Visit site
Have I missed a thread? I didn't see one.
I only know its Thursday because I had the day off to go for a xc clinic at somerford. Bit lumpy in places, hes just a bit on his forehand and I'm getting a bit keen to push for a long one. I need to just chill out a bit and just ride his stride (not mine). Jumped a few new to us fences though, and generally we got to and over everything so I'm not unhappy with it all.
Almost had a dip in the water, silly thing turned shorter than I needed to to a fence, made a mess of it and had 2 strides to sort myself out to jump over a tiny log in to the water ? Luckily these days Charlie carries on forward instead of stopping and dropping me so we recovered OK ?

ihatework

Visit site
Do we even need a thread, SURELY everyone is just watching the Eventing ?! ??

I’m off down to Somerset for a Xc party then hosting a breakfast and Buck’s Fizz SJ party, whilst cheering everyone on from afar.

In between, I’m shuttling the 5yo over to a local Xc for an exciting trial ride ??

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
First football match of the year with our new owners, new team and new plastic pitch. Really looking forward to it.

Awaiting confirmation on two viewers for Deza, one not til early next week.

More foot rasping lessons for Joe, hoping to do hind toes this time around.

Hack for Ludo, his arena work lately makes my face split in half, he's so great.

Northern

Visit site
I am actually doing something this weekend.
Dressage outing on Sunday, it's going to rain (surprise!). Oh well.
Our first official novice tests and won't be perfect but all part of the process.
Ponio has been learning about loading her inside hind leg lately, so lots of shoulder in on the circle and nose to wall to confirm outside rein connection. The hardest thing about this weekend will be trying to get her tail back to some sort of cleanish state...

Oh, and trying to watch the eventing too! Hope everyone comes home safely (but also, go Germany and Australia!).

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Ive just worked 9 straight days so could do with spending it in Bedford! But an early morning on Saturday instead and off down to Burgham! Gutted that Bob has sicknoted but it's a nice event and not that far away! Have quite a few friends there so it's nice to get out!
And watching lots of eventing hopefully! Alarm set already for Oli's test!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
We had a really good session with Sara-Jane Lanning the day before yesterday. Before we went I read through our AF sheets again from the weekend and decided that our focus should be getting a really good connection and having Maddie swinging over her back. So that’s what we worked on in walk/trot/canter/transitions/changes of direction. I need to think about her dropping the base of her neck a little lower and really keeping her forwards into the contact, thinking medium trot/canter instead of working trot/canter. There was a definite improvement and towards the end she did a lovely transition from canter to trot going across the diagonal. Those are often ‘splat’ transitions, but this time it was lovely and balanced and she then picked up a super forward trot afterwards. Clever pony!

We have a lesson tomorrow with our regular trainer, then on Saturday we have arena hire with music facilities at a local venue. I want to see if I can fit Maddie to Cassie's floor plan/music. On paper it should work - they both have/had very rhythmical trot paces, similar size and type, and Maddie is fairly adjustable. It doesn't have to be perfect at this stage, I would just like to see if I can make it work. I love the music Cassie and I had made, and it would be great if I can carry it forward with Maddie. Sunday will be a family day as we have my aunt staying with us for a few days.

And our first pro pic together, from last weekend (I have given up trying to buy complimentary pictures of me, so as long as the pony looks pretty, that's fine!).....

226366785_10224293066287029_3246196569200379037_n.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone, what ever you are up to! Have fun and keep safe. xx

Last edited:

J_sarahd

Visit site
We had a cross country lesson yesterday and he was incredible. He jumped everything I asked of him and was so well behaved apart from the odd napping, which is fine.

We are off eventing at Solihull tomorrow. If anyones been, let me know what its like, especially if youve done the 70. I am excited because my trainer is coming with us and we’ve had great lessons in all 3 phases in the past week.

Sheep

Visit site
Volunteering at an event tomorrow. Doing check in so there from 7am, then fence judging in the afternoon. It’ll be a long day but venue is only 20 mins away so I’ll cope!
No plans as yet for Sunday but have just spotted that there’s a training show at a venue just over the border. OH loves said venue and has been busting to get over there with the big horse. He was home from work last night so it seems like the planets have aligned..?! So possibly that; if so, we will probably do a round each. If I can find my brave pants I will do a 90 and he can do a 1m.

Asha

Visit site
Think it’s a trip to the gallops on Saturday. Sunday off to the breed show At Myerscough with mare and foal . Numbers in the sport horse classes are disappointingly low. So I guess it’s more of an experience than anything. I’ve booked a stable so they can chill afterwards and I can watch the ridden classes .

Good luck everyone out and about

ETA .. most exciting/nervous bit is 60day scan booked for today . Fingers crossed everything will be as it should

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
same old, same old, here, pottering in the arena and pottering with the Young Ones :p Frankel has taken to his bridle happily enough so might progress to a roller. will be glued to the eventing too, got to get my value for money on the Discovery + subscription!

Had a fab ride yesterday but we were outdoors so I am hoping to get inside this evening to see if we can replicate it with mirrors to look in, feel like everything is going in the right direction at the moment with little Kira. the brilliant Olympic coverage couldn't have come at a better time really from an inspiration point of view ;)

Lesson on wednesday.

Baby horses being cute :D

226192344_4553817747963033_2540798821901451485_n.jpg

Asha

Visit site
same old, same old, here, pottering in the arena and pottering with the Young Ones :p Frankel has taken to his bridle happily enough so might progress to a roller. will be glued to the eventing too, got to get my value for money on the Discovery + subscription!

Had a fab ride yesterday but we were outdoors so I am hoping to get inside this evening to see if we can replicate it with mirrors to look in, feel like everything is going in the right direction at the moment with little Kira. the brilliant Olympic coverage couldn't have come at a better time really from an inspiration point of view ;)

Lesson on wednesday.

Baby horses being cute :D

226192344_4553817747963033_2540798821901451485_n.jpg

Crikey Heras grown , she looks amazing! How big is she now ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Nothing much here.

School today, hacking on Saturday and likely day off on Sunday. Still prepping for next comp in Aug(dressage competitions are like hens teeth around here)...but I am also not that dedicated and won't drive more than 2 hours one way :p

Yesterday we rode in the outdoor school since the bugs were bearable (for whatever reason they are fierce out there), and horse enjoyed that. He's such a chill dude compared to what he used to be ? canter work is starting to pay off with better quality changes and more strength and sit in collected canter. Trot half-pass right/travers right is some odd weak spot for us, so we've been working on that. Took a different approach yesterday and felt what it can and should be for a few strides. Just have to build on it. Canter half-pass isn't so bad, but the work we are doing should improve that too. Also looked at some renvers work which is coming along well. So basically, suppling work. He can "do" all of these moves, but I want better quality.

Also going to hop over some small jumps. Horse isn't the bravest jumper but also doesn't hate it, and I'm sick of dressage and obsessing over every detail, so we need some fun/different stuff. Think I'm going to add in some working equitation exercises/obstacles too.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
We had a cross country lesson yesterday and he was incredible. He jumped everything I asked of him and was so well behaved apart from the odd napping, which is fine.

We are off eventing at Solihull tomorrow. If anyones been, let me know what its like, especially if youve done the 70. I am excited because my trainer is coming with us and we’ve had great lessons in all 3 phases in the past week.

We did the BE80 last season and it was a lovely event.SJ on a surface. Course rode well. Not too big but there was 1 quite tricky bit with a skinny /corner brush at the top of a steep curving hill. Not sure if that's in the 70 but if so, you need to ride up the hill over on the right and swing back left to the jump to get a good line. If you just canter up the hill in the middle you'll be lining up for a run out

Alibear

Visit site
Lesson tomorrow followed by a hack in the afternoon and nothing planned for Sunday. Had a quieter week after camp so short hack on Monday, Chirovet on Tuesday and an in-hand & loading lesson on Wednesday. Felt rough as anything yesterday so a day off which means I need to get my derriere back in the saddle this evening :D Struggling with confidence at home currently with no real reason for it. I need to carry on the 1 handed work we started at camp. I need to catch up with yard owner to plan our cracking the hacking project for the summer :)

Michen

Visit site
BE90 at Calmsden. I haven't been around a 90 in about 5 years, last time I did a 90 ODE was at this very venue and Bog and I both hit the floor in the SJ after he got caught up in a pole.

I'm absolutely bricking it, my stomach is already churning and I'm thinking a lunch time glass of wine may be in order to try and soothe my nerves.

Why do we do this!!!!!!

I also haven't jumped a 90 showjump in years either. So underprepared but don't feel I can take Bog around another 80 as he's being so arrogant into fences!

Sprat

Visit site
Will be watching the eventing when I can. Lesson with Super-Instructor tomorrow and a trip to the gallops with a friend on Sunday. I think a day off this evening while I haul my fat backside to the gym.

I'm supposed to be at areas next weekend but I'm having a crisis of confidence over whether to go. AWFUL trip out to Onley last weekend (Bean really does not like this venue) where she was just unrideable, I came away really deflated. Areas next week is at Onley. I'm going to chew the fat with S-I and decide on what to do. I'm not overly fussed about going as I think a break from competition is needed, but on the other hand I've spent the £40 to enter which I won't get back. Musing on taking her and seeing how the warm up goes and make a call then on whether to do the test or not. Lesson tomorrow is going to be focused on some fun stuff to try and pull me out of this funk!

Sprat

Visit site
BE90 at Calmsden. I haven't been around a 90 in about 5 years, last time I did a 90 ODE was at this very venue and Bog and I both hit the floor in the SJ after he got caught up in a pole.

I'm absolutely bricking it, my stomach is already churning and I'm thinking a lunch time glass of wine may be in order to try and soothe my nerves.

Why do we do this!!!!!!

I also haven't jumped a 90 showjump in years either. So underprepared but don't feel I can take Bog around another 80 as he's being so arrogant into fences!

Best of luck - looking at previous pictures you have posted he will breeze 90 fences

Michen

Visit site
Best of luck - looking at previous pictures you have posted he will breeze 90 fences

Thank you. He's done a fair few 90's with his semi pro rider when he was younger, and jumped an immaculate double clear around his first and only BE100 so he is very capable but I am a sack of potatoes! I don't even jump more than a x pole in the warm up, I can only jump decent fences when I literally have to!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thank you. He's done a fair few 90's with his semi pro rider when he was younger, and jumped an immaculate double clear around his first and only BE100 so he is very capable but I am a sack of potatoes! I don't even jump more than a x pole in the warm up, I can only jump decent fences when I literally have to!

I'm the same! But I doubt you will notice the increased height once you are out there, and Boggle certainly won't!

J_sarahd

Visit site
We did the BE80 last season and it was a lovely event.SJ on a surface. Course rode well. Not too big but there was 1 quite tricky bit with a skinny /corner brush at the top of a steep curving hill. Not sure if that's in the 70 but if so, you need to ride up the hill over on the right and swing back left to the jump to get a good line. If you just canter up the hill in the middle you'll be lining up for a run out

Ooh thank you. I will keep my eye out for that when I am course walking tomorrow. I have seen a few of the jumps just by stalking instagram/topshot photography and they look nice. Except for the sheep feeder which is similar to what we stopped at when we went to Eland.