Weekend plans - end of July

PSD

Visit site
same old, same old, here, pottering in the arena and pottering with the Young Ones :p Frankel has taken to his bridle happily enough so might progress to a roller. will be glued to the eventing too, got to get my value for money on the Discovery + subscription!

Had a fab ride yesterday but we were outdoors so I am hoping to get inside this evening to see if we can replicate it with mirrors to look in, feel like everything is going in the right direction at the moment with little Kira. the brilliant Olympic coverage couldn't have come at a better time really from an inspiration point of view ;)

Lesson on wednesday.

Baby horses being cute :D

226192344_4553817747963033_2540798821901451485_n.jpg

I refuse to believe this is the same zoomy foal I saw last year on here ?

Quiet weekend for me. Potentially viewing another pony - a Connie cross (same as my mare I lost) so I’m looking forward to that if it happens. I say this because they are selling so fast especially the cheaper ones!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Do we even need a thread, SURELY everyone is just watching the Eventing ?! ??

I’m off down to Somerset for a Xc party then hosting a breakfast and Buck’s Fizz SJ party, whilst cheering everyone on from afar.

In between, I’m shuttling the 5yo over to a local Xc for an exciting trial ride ??

The eventing (orvrather the time difference) is really confushing me ?I know I can watch it on 'catch up' on D+ but I genuinely can't tell if it's available on Saturday or Sunday here ...

I'm hacking on Saturday, hoping for a fairly long one as not had a 3 hour plus ride for a few weekends.

Sunday, either a shorter hack or TREC obstacle practise depending upon how we feel!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend :)

HappyDayz

Visit site
Can I join in for the first time in probably 4 years?! I’m taking my 4 year old (supposedly summer project?) to his first show. Just a local intro test.

We had our first Prosecco & polework clinic last night, he hadn’t yet been ridden with other horses and had only been over poles twice, he’s been backed for 2 months. I was happy to do 20 minutes and call it a day. Well he was such a pro! We did the whole session and finished going round one handed with a glass of Prosecco. You can’t ask for more than that!

teapot

Visit site
The eventing (orvrather the time difference) is really confushing me ?I know I can watch it on 'catch up' on D+ but I genuinely can't tell if it's available on Saturday or Sunday here ...

I'm hacking on Saturday, hoping for a fairly long one as not had a 3 hour plus ride for a few weekends.

Sunday, either a shorter hack or TREC obstacle practise depending upon how we feel!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend :)

Xc starts 11.45pm tomorrow (Saturday) and goes into the early hours of Sunday morning

I shall be watching a lot of sport this weekend, and poss pop into work to see sicknote pony as I've kinda fallen for him...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We had our first Prosecco & polework clinic last night, he hadn’t yet been ridden with other horses and had only been over poles twice, he’s been backed for 2 months. I was happy to do 20 minutes and call it a day. Well he was such a pro! We did the whole session and finished going round one handed with a glass of Prosecco. You can’t ask for more than that!

That's my kind of polework clinic!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Spent the last two days dodging Storm Evert, but some nice weather now, so will hopefully have a nice chilled weekend of hacking, plus definitely planning to get up in the middle of the night for the cross country.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Xc starts 11.45pm tomorrow (Saturday) and goes into the early hours of Sunday morning

I shall be watching a lot of sport this weekend, and poss pop into work to see sicknote pony as I've kinda fallen for him...

Thank you!

Not sure I'll be able to watch it all - I'm normally in bed by 10.30 ? but I'm hoping I'll be able to watch OT before watching the rest on D+ on Sunday.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Just in the box on the way back from Solihull so I thought I’d do a debrief.

We got a 41.3 dressage which I am a bit disappointed with as he has been so good with his dressage recently but everything was so distracting. A few good comments on our sheet.

Then we got a double clear with a couple of time faults. I trotted a few parts because would rather have a few time faults than a refusal in either phase. After fence 6 in the xc, he was absolutely flying though!

Overall so proud of him. It’s definitely made me realise that eventing is what I want to do with him. Got my eye on the 70 UA at Aston in September. But I reckon my aim of affiliating in the next few years is feasible!

So proud of both of us!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had a good ride this morning, got my chores mostly done and am now catching up on the eventing dressage... will try and have a nap after to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the XC :D

I think we have pennies dropping all over the place about passage at last, it's been a tricky journey for her (with a frustrating ulcery detour) but it feels like we're getting somewhere, hurrah! it's a fine balancing act between having her jolly enough to try, and not over-facing her with the collection so she feels she can't use her energy productively. she's up for it now though which makes it all very enjoyable even if I'm really really impatient :p

the racehorses were clattering up and down the lane outside afterwards, it was very concerning!

227436992_4557449747599833_4374801963396295132_n.jpg

Michen

Visit site
My horse put up with a lot from me today. 5 min dressage warm up, I rode like an absolute moron in the SJ burying him into fences after firing him at them. I actually felt he lost confidence in me and rightly so, he felt sticky at the XC to begin with. Anyway he forgave me I think as we then had a great round until I got completely lost and spent a while faffing around to get back ??. Clear XC though and not as many time faults as we should have had given the huge detour!

ycbm

Visit site
First football match of the year with our new owners, new team and new plastic pitch. Really looking forward to it.

We won ? really interesting to see the new plastic pitch, looks just like fantastic grass.

Awaiting confirmation on two viewers for Deza, one not til early next week.

Got someone who sounds a perfect match coming tomorrow, cross fingers for us both.,

More foot rasping lessons for Joe, hoping to do hind toes this time around.

Didn't get round to it yet.

Hack for Ludo, his arena work lately makes my face split in half, he's so great.

Super hack ??

Last edited:

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Working this weekend, but managed to ride both boys today. Fingers crossed will have a chance to ride tomorrow too.

Henry schooled for the first time in about 3 months and was as laid back as ever, it’s strange riding him after riding Pepsi so much more recently. It’s like putting on an old pair of comfy shoes or driving a Ford Fiesta, gets from a-b, does what you ask with nothing unexpected or dramatic, you know where all the buttons are…

Schooled Peps too. He seems to have realised that shooting off with his butt underneath him and his head in the air doesn’t get him the result he wants/is used to, not sure what it is he wants/expects, but me ignoring him and keeping the aids on doesn’t seem to be it. He still tries it on but didn’t do it half as much today. I’ve worked out there’s no point getting into a fight with him about it, doesn’t get anyone anywhere. There’s still a lot of tension we need to work through, but he’s starting to understand bending and stretching down a little.

Lexi_

Visit site
A nice busy day of FJing at Cholmondeley today. They had the Grassroots finals for 80, 90 and 100 so that was fun!

I was itching with about 60% of the riders at 80 and 90 to put their stirrups up about four holes and send them off to practice a proper cross country canter. Why does everyone ride so long and never get their bum out of the saddle??

Anyway, have a nice photo. We had the castle as a scenic backdrop ?

DAC6D06D-5179-4C83-9388-FCFAF931E299.jpeg

ycbm

Visit site
. Why does everyone ride so long and never get their bum out of the saddle??

I ask the same question a lot, why are people in general now riding so long, it's preventing them folding and it's less secure when they don't have their thigh in front of them.

ETA and connected, I think, I'm also seeing a lot of hands fixed at about the wither and not going forward to release the neck over the fence.

Sheep

Visit site
A nice busy day of FJing at Cholmondeley today. They had the Grassroots finals for 80, 90 and 100 so that was fun!

I was itching with about 60% of the riders at 80 and 90 to put their stirrups up about four holes and send them off to practice a proper cross country canter. Why does everyone ride so long and never get their bum out of the saddle??

Anyway, have a nice photo. We had the castle as a scenic backdrop ?

View attachment 76746

I read something recently I think from Harry Meade - he said if you can ride comfortably on the flat in your xc length, you are riding much too short.
Edited: should say much too LONG!!!

Long day today for me, doing check in then fence judging - was there from 7am until about half 5 but a super day at the inaugural event for a new venue. Hoping to pop over there tomorrow for a bit of schooling.

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
I will be hopefully looking at unbacked 3-4 yos tomorrow. My new youngster that I've only had since April has gone extremely PSSM-ey. Awaiting DNA tests but realistically it's only going to go one way as a stallion in his breeding is apparently notorious for passing it on. So...he's going on loan as a companion/very light hack & yet again I'm looking for a new partner in crime.

Bernster

Visit site
Had a good hack session with Bertie. I’ve been going really slowly for various reasons inc non horsey life being busy, but today as the ground was good, we did a couple of circuits round the hill field in trot and canter. First circuit in company and then on our own. He was super, he’s quick and forward but controllable. He did get a bit anxious when he realised he was on his own, once we‘d started walking, but nothing major and he held it together. Then had a crack at long reining as part of his physio work. Again a bit unsure to start but settled soon enough and I can see that it could really help improve his balance in the school.

Am booking stuff for Aug and have xc lesson (prob take finnegan as don’t feel ready to xc Bertie), a sponsored ride and arena hire booked.

Roxylola

Visit site
Good luck catembi, you deserve a good one.
Well done michen for surviving another round - if we don't ever try something a little harder how do we get better, same goes for getting it right all the time - getting it wrong is an opportunity to improve.

Northern

Visit site
Back from my dressage outing and very pleased.
Felt very rideable and had a super warmup. Unfortunately got the wrong canter lead in the first test (completely my fault for not preparing) which made the 15m circle wonky. She felt really solid in the contact for the first time in a competition today and the canter has improved so much, all the hard work paying off!
60% and 62% in our first official novices, not world beating but super for us :)
She's such a good pony and got some extra dinner tonight.

LLD.JPG
(Yes we're working on more nose pokey in our stretchy circles ;) )

scats

Visit site
Hacked out yesterday. Millie was in one of her moods. Storms out in front most of the way and then randomly decides that something is terrifying (the grid she sees several
times a week) and proceeds to freeze and then go up the second my leg went on. Then tried to put me on the bonnet of a parked car so friend nipped in front and Millie then got in a strop on coz she wanted to be in front so stormed past my friend and was an angel again until a junction on the way back when she opted for further gymnastics because I dared to wait for my friend to catch us up. Once again, she was desperate to be back in front when my friend overtook us to give us a jump start (junction isn’t the best place to sit out a nap!) I’d love to put that horse on a psychiatrists couch!

So I’ll be spending the next few weeks doing lots of short circular road routes, and trying not to amuse the locals too much with our Spanish riding school displays.

PSD

Visit site
We won ? really interesting to see the new plastic pitch, looks just like fantastic grass.

Got someone who sounds a perfect match coming tomorrow, cross fingers for us both.,

Didn't get round to it yet.

Super hack ??

Hope the viewing goes well today!

j1ffy

Visit site
We’ve been out hacking. Friday was windy and evidently Chilli thinks wind = spooking. Nothing bad at all, he’s very willing to go as long as my leg is on and I’m ready to hold his hand if needed!

Yesterday we did our longest solo hack to date and he was fab. He did do his first ‘proper’ spook at some scary fence railings by a pond but I gently deployed the bum-basher and he went straight past, so very pleased. We saw horses, deer, muntjac, guard-geese and lots of traffic and he didn’t bat an eyelid. He’s so fun to ride, I can’t wait for him mature and strengthen as we’re going to have lots of fun together!

The yard has just announced some unaff dressage in late August so I think we’ll make our very low-key competition debut then. I’d better do some more schooling in between…

Hacking photo for added interest! Amazingly we didn’t get a soaking.
720AF2DE-3B8E-4980-8718-F199E6E0CFED.jpeg