Weekend plans for last weekend in July

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm so not stylish as a rider its laughable but I just keep cracking on. Have a fab time Karran.
Good luck HP and Rara with your comps (and anyone else competing)

Bernster

Visit site
Welcome to the thread that never fails to entertain and inspire me. As a nervous hacker I am in awe of people who can do it happily. Have fun!

Funny isn’t it how we view things. Hacking brings lots of potential challenges and unexpected events. Not for the faint hearted at times but I suspect lots of hackers wouldn’t see themselves as brave.

I don’t think of myself as a brave rider but I’ll happily go hunting and on big gallopy sponsored rides (but only on a sane horse which to me means I’m not brave ?‍♀️).

FourLeafClover

Visit site
Mostly cacking oneself and preparing for next weekend... first show of this year and err, ever really! We are dipping our toes into the world of showing. I’ve taken him to quite a few dressage outings (was fine) hunter trials (VERY excited/overwhelmed, reared in the lorry park on the way down to the warmup) but not a big show with lots of rings and horses and an expectation to ride round presentably! I need to...
- practise riding with two reins, somehow keeping my snaffle rein short and curb rein sitting pretty but not doing anything at all
- put spurs on the beast for the first time (might die)
- try again with the ear plugs (for hoss, not me) as an attempt to keep focus on me next weekend and dull all the hustle and bustle
Ahhhh help!
Jumped this evening which was fun ? just little ones. They looked big to me at the time but I’m just a bit embarrassed watching the videos ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Funny isn’t it how we view things. Hacking brings lots of potential challenges and unexpected events. Not for the faint hearted at times but I suspect lots of hackers wouldn’t see themselves as brave.

I don’t think of myself as a brave rider but I’ll happily go hunting and on big gallopy sponsored rides (but only on a sane horse which to me means I’m not brave ?‍♀️).

HUNTING!! Unless you are with the littlies at the back on a lead rein you are brave!!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Good luck to all out and about and hope everyone has a great weekend

We're preparing for getting back out there eventing next weekend at Cholmondeley Castle. Took both XC schooling at Somerford last Monday. Horses are great, I'm suffering quite alot of stiffness due to not being able to swim for several months and I suspect losing some core strength; can see the effects when I watch the vids back. So will have to try to find ways to compensate for the rest of the season so I can still help the horses as much as I can. Some vids from Mon:

Reilee, hedges & a coffin
Phoenix hopping up steps
Phoenix jumping a few things
Phoenix showing off

Tried a new bit in them both as figured that the evasions that they both sometimes have jumping when try to rebalance could be due to not liking tongue pressure. Seems to be working well so far, is dressage legal and they work well on the flat in too. So will see how it works with the adrenaline of eventing added in.

Karran

Visit site

I'd love to have the bottle for hunting and cross country, but not sure I ever will. We have a cross country course at our new yard and I was looking at them in awe and wondering how anyone gets over them!
I was talking about it with Share Mare's owner the other day, we moved her on a Saturday and on the Sunday I went out on our own to walk around some fields and explore. There was lots of dancing and interesting sideways jogging and bouncing and a lot of "oh god I'm going to die" and "I really should invest in a new BP and actually wear it" thoughts but we got round and then I thought about how it took me months to pluck up the courage to hack her at our previous yard and the fairly often confidence wobbles and tears(!) I've had with her.
I've part loaned her for 7 years now so I've gained a lot of confidence in what I can and can't push through with her which helps.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend full of adventures!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
AE, Bernster, when I was competing yrs ago, I only hacked for their education. These days I'm happiest out hacking and going to clinics (funny how things change) and am hoping B Fuzzy might settle enough to drag hunt this winter.
Had a great time this morning, B and I really enjoyed ourselves :) (ropey screenshot taken from trainers bit of filming)20200725_115514.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
We had a fab time xc today, horse was super- she goes a bit green when you've been standing around for a while which is what she does coming out the start box but she really improved with that today.

B680765E-7144-45FA-87CB-DE2D19E9F99D.jpeg

We are still at the dramatic launch stage of our water training ?
01578089-8CCF-4982-9142-466D6B4928B2.jpeg

cheekywelshie

Visit site
Stressage on Sunday ohhelpmegod! The boy prefers to jump as do I but remembering a dressage test is vaguely easier than a course of jumps (unless it’s XC then I have time to think ??) . That said I cannot for the life of me seem to ride corners properly or do 20m circles!

Chippers1

Visit site
I was taken on a new hacking route today, after 20 years on the yard I never knew it existed! We were out for 4 hours which was fine except 2 hours in got caught in the most horrendous torrential downpour, talking biblical proportions ? as I was riding along, the rain filling my boots, I kind of missed the views over the valley near us but it was a lovely hack!

Also involved crossing 2 bridges (over the a46 for those near me!) Which buzz was very anxious about, I don't think he's ever been over a bridge before as he couldn't understand where the cars that were heading for hil were going but he put his brave pants on and followed the others over, very proud of him as he can be a bit of a wimp!

Fingers crossed for no rain on Monday...

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh Chippers, I hate bridges. My big sports horse was always a bit sticky over them and some of the local ones then were just not wide enough for messing ?
Our dressage lesson was ace. Supercob was literally the best hes ever been, hes coming together so well now. Our "hunting" lesson tomorrow has cancelled due to weather/ground conditions and we've managed to book course hire at eland in the afternoon instead

Chippers1

Visit site
Luckily they're bridges for cars with massive pavements and were quite today so it wasn't too hair raising but he still didn't enjoy it!

Oo enjoy eland, looking forward to my trip there in a few weeks ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Mixed day at Frickley. Relaxed, obedient dressage. Not a great score but lots to like in terms of attitude and potential. Lovely clear SJ within the time. Then 2 random stops at easy fences XC. Both rolltops? So 40 pens and a shed load of time pens. Ah well. 6 opportunities (3 rider, 3 horse) for things to go wrong in eventing means the days when EVERYTHING comes together are all the more sweet!

Next stop Solihull.....

116131889_3209413365805389_6718391603587559574_n.jpg
115804921_3209413425805383_1449215116656225835_n.jpg
116343719_3209423625804363_7624826047381566606_o.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Good point, 6 opportunities to go wrong, never thought of it like that. Sounds like some very positive stuff though and then some thinking about the stops, but annoyingly horses won’t say what it was, so who knows!

Lexi_

Visit site
Oh that’s a bit frustrating AE! Was it a case of just sailing along and forgetting to use her legs at the easy fences?

Lots of positives though - better luck next time!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I didnt see the stops but Katie said she was riding positively to every fence. But who knows. Dolly is an adolescent now at 6 and sometimes they just randomly say no I guess! Still, all good experience for both of them.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
So we did it and completed Frickley! Technically it was one of those, terrible on paper days, but I’m still chuffed with the wee grey beastie.

Dressage, was aiming for a 35, managed a 37 ??‍♀️. Nothing terrible, just needs to be smoother and more obedient ??.

Showjumping I am super duper proud of a clear round ?. She went a little green in the ring, so needed riding to them and she gave them plenty of air!

XC, managed to start on the back foot with two stops at the first ?, but she didn’t down tools and we did get over it! Onwards to the next and although she went super green on me, she carried on jumping! Picked up another two stops on course, she needed a quick look first ??, but was allowed to carry on so we did complete the course ????.

I’m genuinely really pleased with her, this was her first ODE on grass and although she was a bit overwhelmed she did try ‘quite’ hard for me (I do think I might have worked harder than her on the XC though ??). Ok yes, I’d have loved a 20 dressage and clear XC but that’s what we’ll aim for at Skipton ????.

2860B80D-7F55-4115-8641-F62454798278.jpeg
3D0248FA-017C-4AED-B4BE-F48A0AA8D508.jpeg

PS I’m ditching the tweed, I’m a diehard modernist apparently when it comes to riding attire ?, shopping for a flattering technical navy one next!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Looks like some great weekends being had and only half way through.

Quiet weekend of hacking for me, but had a fab jump lesson end of the week. After my dodgy stop in the jump off last weekend worked on jumping from angles, which when I remembered to actually ride properly was fine. My lovely beast seemed to enjoy the challenge too.

Feeling brave so a short vid from one of the lines we were jumping...and apparently this was 'keeping it small'.

Bernster

Visit site
Yay well done. Great pics.

if you have tips on the stopping around the start, do share, that’s our party trick too ?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Yay well done. Great pics.

if you have tips on the stopping around the start, do share, that’s our party trick too ?

I just kicked a lot ??‍♀️.

I think this one just took her by surprise as the start box was around the corner, so she didn’t have loads of time to look at the fence. I was very determined we were not going all that way, spending all that money to get eliminated at the first ??

Sheep

Visit site
Fabulous work HP, hope you’re v proud!! My OH is hoping to do an ODE this season if he can, will also be his first affiliated one.

Dressage yesterday was one of those frustrating ones where I felt he went better than scores suggest ??‍♀️ the big guy worked his socks off for me. Slightly better mark than last week in the prelim at 66.something and about 0.3% lower in the novice. The comment “shows potential at this level” on the prelim test was a bit disheartening to be honest because I’d like to think any sound horse is capable of that ? But hey ho. That’s what happens in a sport where you pay to be criticised ? midway in the field in prelim and second last in the novice, just behind the girl who won the prelim so that made me feel a bit better ? I wish it had been same judge as last week, would have been interesting to compare notes, but hey ho, every day is a school day...

A160CC8A-76B0-466D-ADB7-806D6E861CF8.jpeg
1544F693-A69F-4C95-BD56-3A4153F7A485.jpeg

Some of you lovely folk might be able to give me some advice actually. So big horse needs to be ridden with a fair amount (ie loads) of leg. On watching the videos, I have developed an awful habit of swinging my leg reaaaaally far back. I think this is in part due to the fact that he’s a giant and I’m short. Obviously I need to focus on keeping my leg in the right place, but does anyone have any handy hints or tips to help with that? Thanks in advance!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Some of you lovely folk might be able to give me some advice actually. So big horse needs to be ridden with a fair amount (ie loads) of leg. On watching the videos, I have developed an awful habit of swinging my leg reaaaaally far back. I think this is in part due to the fact that he’s a giant and I’m short. Obviously I need to focus on keeping my leg in the right place, but does anyone have any handy hints or tips to help with that? Thanks in advance!!

this happens to me too, though opposite problem - long legs dangling off short horse and I do it because I'm trying to make contact with her!

I don't have any magic solutions but I try and feel the difference in responses when I keep my leg in the right place. she's much more responsive to forwards and sideways when I am not applying my leg halfway to her stifles ;) so when I feel like I'm not getting the response I expect, I remind myself to check where my legs are (and usually move them forward, d'oh!) i'm hoping that by having it in the back of my mind all the time I will slowly manage to retrain myself.

That and generally continuing to make her more responsive so I need less leg in general, cos then I'll have more brainspace to think about other things anyway.

Sheep

Visit site
Thank you MP! It’s reassuring in a way that this is a problem for others (especially as your riding & knowledge is 100x better than mine!).
Yes I think getting him a bit sharper off the leg will be key and I like the theory of using his response to check I’m actually asking correctly. Need to retrain my brain also!!
Years of riding a wee pocket rocket looper has probably made my leg aids rubbish - that wee horse (now mostly retired) was so sharp off any aid that you just had to think leg and she would be off ?