Weekend plans : last weekend in June

palo1

Visit site
My instructor isn't available this weekend - just when I had scraped enough together for a lesson and renewed comps plan!! She is going to visit family that she hasn't seen in over 18 months so I will let her off however. :) :) I have been just pottering around for a couple of weeks working on canter transitions, cleaner leg yields and even, ta da; a nice little rein back :) :) Not sure where all that is going but I am enjoying playing with these bits with Alw. Both horses are now nice and fit so I may hack both, both days or hack 1 day and school another for each horse. Older horse will think that is a terrible plan and would vote for long, fast hacks on both days. As he has recently convinced me that there is nothing wrong with his right canter (I was a bit ??? about it for a couple of weeks) I may let him off horrible and potentially worrying 'diagnostic' schooling (always a very bad idea on your own lol). I will consult with Alw to see what she would like and try to go with that and I may even resort to hacking to a neighbour's to use their arena.

I am quite enjoying a quiet few weeks at home even though my original plans for June were slightly different. :)

palo1

Visit site
*snort*
yes, best avoided if not strictly necessary!

Thank goodness I cannot remember the last time I convinced myself it was 'necessary'...It doesn't usually end well for one's mental health but at the same time can be strangely compelling...

j1ffy

Visit site
More hacking with Chilli hopefully, dependent on weather and helping my mum to move house! I may do a short schooling session too as we have another lesson on Tuesday.

We did a longer hack yesterday and came across large farm machinery for the first time - no problem at all with that. He’s a lot buzzier than my other PREs or Danny, but very responsive and brave so he’s a lot of fun! We also saw geese, sheep, cows, a yappy dog and lots of horses. He’ll stop and look if he’s worried but is trusting enough to go past anything so far with a bit of leg and a wither scratch.

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Baby Welshie and small one were out at dressage this morning, it was their first go at Intro B and they haven't had much time to learn it, so wasn’t expecting much. Came in 6th though with 59.13% - not bad considering they were the only junior entry so ended up being combined with the open section. Most importantly though they’re both learning so much every time they go out - still lots to work on but there’s definitely potential and they’re having a lot of fun!

So the rest of today has been chilling out, then they’ve got a lesson tomorrow and a couple of weeks off trips out and about to relax and put some bits into practice.7197D919-C4C8-47F0-AB9C-6768021F040A.jpegE86B4330-80AF-4B5C-A938-3A0208375FD0.jpegB4E20AAA-FABC-4D44-907C-167613025335.jpeg

Sheep

Visit site
We had a great day out at our second ever EI event, the first was last August. Big Horse has definitely grown up a bit since then.

Dressage
Firstly, OH remembered the test so that was a good start! He isn’t really into dressage so went through the motions for a polite test with an OK score. Could easily improve with a bit more accuracy. We hadn’t put studs in as ground seemed decent but horse did have a couple of little slips so decided we definitely needed to stud for sj & xc.

87466D41-F390-4B9F-AB08-A3A6A33F1F85.jpeg

SJ
We had a few hours between dressage and SJ so went to walk the xc course, then walked it a second time with yard friends who were there too. Watched some of the 110 and 100 sj, then at about 2.30ish went to warm up.
Horse warmed up nicely and jumped a nice clear round. He has a tendency to jump very big (unavoidable when you have ridiculously long legs I suppose) but they made it round in decent enough style.

2354B872-2F0F-405D-8EDF-4161ADA51E5D.jpeg
8AA7ABEE-34EE-47AE-A5A2-6A76ED535FF4.jpeg

XC
On to the fun stuff! There was a hold up on course due to a fall in the 100 class. The unfortunate rider has broken her ankle which I know can be quite serious. After the death of Tiggy Hancock last week I think everyone was in a bit of a panic when the xc was put on hold, and all were relieved to know the rider was safely taken for medical treatment.
So, out of the start box and nicely over 1 - 10. 11 was a water complex (the second one of the course!). Big Horse decided to dip his front feet in, then take them out ? so 20 pens there. Knowing he would be outside the time anyway, OH took the long way back round and thankfully horse was more cooperative on his second go ?
Our goal yesterday was to have fun and as our first outing, on a fairly hilly course, we just wanted to get everyone home safely. So with the issue at the water & the time, we racked up a fair few penalties, but we finished and weren’t last! So all in all, a lovely day out ☺️
0A525C25-A54C-4585-BA2A-037064D0E190.jpeg2DC3EAEB-E473-439A-9A85-25E17A04E1D6.jpegBBAE77D3-CFB3-45EE-8915-4AAB37B71082.jpeg

Attachments

• F207B0E6-B2A1-4A18-8D20-F8AC89336F6F.jpeg
    F207B0E6-B2A1-4A18-8D20-F8AC89336F6F.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
Visit site
OMG! Never ever ever again! I have bailed on the last day of the driving trials as I am not putting myself through that torture again! I can't! Honestly I have never been so bored and at times disgusted at an equine event.

Friday - We were asked to be there for 8am. I had absolutely NO idea what I was supposed to be doing, no idea what time things started etc. Got told to park in one place and then meet next to the burger van for a briefing. Then we all get told that the briefing is being held up at the dressage arena and so we all trudge off up there. When we all got up to the dressage arena the organiser dished out a few jobs and then there were about 8 of us left with nothing to do. But she didn't want to tell us not to come incase someone else didn't turn up. So most of the 8 said sod it and went home again very grumpy saying they wouldn't be back the next day nor again. I then got sent to go and help measure wheels. This is a 1, maybe 2 person job and there were 3 of us to do it. Friday was dressage day and it was like watching paint dry. Don't get me wrong the horses, ponies and carraiges were turned absolutely beautifully. There was a pair of Gelderlanders that were absolutely stunning! A Welsh Cob who was a cracking example of it's breed and a coloured cob who looked so forward and happy in it's job it was a joy to watch. The rest was boring as hell. So from 9am til 4.30pm I moved probably less than 100 yards in total. Most events will at least feed and water their volunteers. Well you could have as much tea and coffee as you liked from the burger van if you drink such things - I don't. Glad I took a couple of bottles of water and lunch with me as you could have a bacon roll - nothing else, just bacon - before the event kicked off. Before I left I asked what I would be doing the next day and I was told I was to be team lead on Obstacle 3 - the most difficult obstacle on the course. Now where is the sense in putting a complete rookie as team lead?!? With a team of more newbies! Thankfully one of the main obstacle guys took me up to the one I would in charge of and explained everything to me but it still seemed like a mine field! Luckily for me that evening I got a phone call from the organiser saying that some people had travelled over 5 hours to steward and had complained that they weren't on an obstacle so they had shifted me off of that one and onto obstacle 6 as an assisstant - happy days! Honestly I don't know the thought process being putting a complete newbie as a team lead! I haven't even ever jump judged at xc - nothing!

So roll on Saturday and again we were asked to be there for 8am. The first pony didn't set out for the marathon til 9.30am so why did we need to be there for 8am!?!?!? But oh it gets better! Now I don't know how many stages there are to the marathon but we had to be at our obstacle for 9am and the first horse wouldn't actually get to the obstacle phase until 10.30am at the earliest! The first horse to go through my obstacle was 11.11am ... PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY I NEEDED TO BE THERE FOR BLOOMIN WELL 8AM!!!!!!!! There were 8 of us on the obstacle and I was the main time keeper. That was fine by me as it was just a case of clicking a button on and off. The first ones round the course were novices, juniors and club sections and I have to say I was utterly appalled at what I saw. Not one of them was fit enough for the task at hand. Obstacle 6 was the last one at the end of the marathon and yes you would expect some tired animals but some of them were virtually on their knees with exhaustion! Honestly I felt so sorry for them! They were putting one foot in front of the other because they were genuine, honest creatures who only wanted to please. They were getting flicked with whips and shouted and roared at to go faster and they quite simply couldn't. They were done. They were spent. When I questioned if this was normal and if we could pull them up and send them home the response was - only the judge can do that and they won't do it because they want to encourage people to keep up with the sport not discourage them by eliminating them. Now that is just shocking! Putting the animals welfare at the very bottom of the list to keep the humans happy! I'm sorry but that is just not on! If a jockey is seen to be finishing or even continuing a race on a horse that is very obviously knackered they are flayed alive by the stewards!

There were a couple of ponies held up because they were going too slow and they people competing in the more advanced sections were over taking them. Now to me when your pony/horse has gone the best part of 6k trotting and cantering the LAST thing you do is stand still for more than a few seconds. You are asking for them to tie up. But no. They were quite happy to let their ponies stand unmoving. They should have kept walking. One of the other team members with us does a lot of driving and is now retired from competitions was equally as disgusted at what was going on. Don't get me wrong there were plenty who were fit enough for the job but there were a good 6 or 7 I would have retired and sent back home long before they got to me as their ponies were just done. I know I will probably get jumped on for this but some of the drivers and back steps were not exactly the lightest of weights and they wouldn't have been able to ride the ponies that were pulling them. Hopetoun is a very hilly track.

Near the end I did feel sorry for one pony tandem team. They came flying down to us full of running and the cart absolutely hammered into one of the straining posts and broke a shaft. The driver was shouting at his back step to get down to the ponies heads as he was asking them to stand and they didn't get it as to them they were part way round an obstacle and just wanted to get going so they were bouncing and mini rearing on the spot. Did the back step do her job? No! She took one look at the ponies bouncing, stayed 3ft away from them and kept screaming for help. Most of us were already well on our way to help and as soon as someone stood at each ponies head they shut up and relaxed, they realised they were done and just chilled. What is the point in having a back step who is scared of the ponies? If there had been no one else around to help they would have been in serious trouble! I took charge of the second pony but when it came to stripping harness I was clueless! Luckily someone came around my side to help as it was all just clips, buckles and reins. When things go wrong to be fair the whole horse trials team got things dealt with quickly and efficiently. The ponies were lead away and the cart was loaded up onto a trailer to be taken back down to the stable yard once the last team had gone.

I opted out of going back today as I don't think I could take another day it. I have NO idea what time things were supposed to kick off, what time there were supposed to finish, no idea what I would have been doing etc. The organisation of the help was an absolute joke. And to top it off no matter how many times I said my name is El. simple, E L, you can even shorten it down to one letter if you like - L the organiser and her buddy kept insisting on calling me Ellie ... I F ING WELL HATE ELLIE!!!!!!!!!! Honestly it is the one thing I hate, loathe and despise being called!

I know not every driving trials will be like that but this one has certainly put me off of volunteering to help again for life! Never, ever, EVER again!

Sorry for a bit of a doom and gloom posting!

Reactions: TPO

Sheep

Visit site
That’s such a shame, EOAS. I think we all understand we should volunteer to support our sport, when organisers don’t make good use of that it is very frustrating. I can understand why you didn’t want to go back again.

Bernster

Visit site
I have had the best time at eventing camp!! Have tonnes of videos, but here's footage from a SJ lesson with Ros Canter who was super. I did say that he can struggle with not being the most athletic... Well, horse said "hold my beer...." ?

Cracking video RF. I’ve had two Ros Canter lessons, first was at a Banfield camp - we’ve gone the best we ever had with our jumping. I think she’s just awesome.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Saturday's hack was a nice fittening ride with pony very keen and offering lots of trots and canter at every opportunity.

Today's was a bit slower paced as I think pony may have regretted quite so much enthusiasm the day before ? But we took a picnic and I met my Mum, Dad & my OH half way round (parent's dog used to come out hacking with me but is now quite old, so we drive her out and meet up when we can - she loved the picnic!). Shame it rained as the sandwiches were slightly soggy but a lovely way to spend a weekend none the less.

Pony has definitely his day off tomorrow ❤

nikicb

www.facebook.com
It's great to see so many people out and about enjoying themselves, and I hope the new horses are settling in well.

Maddie and I have had a busy week! On Tuesday we went for a lesson with our regular trainer where we continued the theme of keeping Maddie forward and pushing from behind, instead of just looking pretty! Wednesday was treadmill day, on Thursday she had a stretchy lunge and we did some in-hand training, and then Friday we schooled at home.

Yesterday we headed off for our second competition, accompanied by top groom eldest son. Maddie was pretty chilled in the warm up - I need to get a bit more assertive with her when we are out and about and actually ride her, but I still feel I am testing the waters a bit and don't want to create more energy than I am happy with at the moment. I felt that our first test could have flowed a bit better, and we had a brief break in one of the canters, although we picked it up again pretty quickly before the next movement started, but I just felt my riding was a bit 'meh'. The second test was in a different arena, and the judge rang the bell before we had even gone 10m even though we were on time, so that threw me a bit. There was also a fair bit to look at down one side of the arena, but although Maddie backed off a bit in places, I felt I rode it with more conviction and definitely thought it was the better test of the two.

We went back to the lorry, untacked and loaded. Both top groom and I were hungry after our early start, but unfortunately the café was cash only and neither of us had any on us, so we planned to stop at the services on the way back instead. My second test sheet was available before my first one, and I was really disappointed to see we had scored only 62.76%. I didn't think it was a record beating test, but I definitely felt it was better than that. Imagine my surprise when I was given my first test sheet, with a red rosette attached! Not only did we score 68.40%, we also won the class overall and got £27 prize money, so we were able to buy a sandwich and a cuppa after all!! I have since watched the videos and am still perplexed with the scoring in the second test, so I will go through them and the sheets with our trainer. Other than ticking another outing off the list, I had also hoped to get enough points for a second Area Festival qualification, and we did that on the first test alone, so all's good in that respect.

Maddie has now got a week or so off. She has a body worker appointment on Tuesday and her jabs on Wednesday. Other than that she will most likely be eating and resting after a busy three months. I on the other hand spent almost 5 hours today writing for our trainer at a local venue, and really should take advantage of a horse activity free week to blitz the house!!

1624813893881.png

Top groom making my pony look tiny!!

206679875_2050994298372920_5276573057636178528_n.jpg

1624814163653.png

And a picture of our Spanish walk training from earlier in the week.....

1624814211071.png

GinaGeo

Visit site
It’s been a Podrick centric weekend.

He went Cross Country Schooling to a new venue yesterday. Just working on filling up the confidence banks and learning to jump nicely out of a rhythm. He would prefer to risk assess each fence first, so just building his confidence and working on him believing me when I tell him it’s safe.

And today he went on the Hunt Ride over at Belvoir Castle, we met a friend and had a a jolly time. He was very grown up and polite - thoroughly enjoyed himself but remained civilised - can’t ask for more.

D980BEFD-EC08-40AE-98F9-C61D9D6E0EE9.jpeg

rara007

Visit site
Well I had a fantastic time at Hopetoun from the ‘other side’. Half way through our 10 hour trip home and he’s travelling well. We all commented on the volume and positivity of the volunteers- it was very appreciated and really noticeable.
We got a dressage PB, came a close second on the marathon and equal best cones of the day to secure our First National level win together.
Sorry I didn’t have enough signal to get on here otherwise I’d have invited you round :(
I know it’s probably not much consociational but we really did have a fantastic time.8B300642-CD69-4217-8ECD-A7D207C95E1C.jpeg5D32A27C-4250-4201-99E5-5103E0E98237.jpg
75652DF2-283B-4D09-B0B9-181426A24E5E.jpg18E25773-24ED-4870-B234-07DE1FC78650.jpegAE502C06-1AEA-4FF6-9685-72F9D6DC42F6.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well I had a fantastic time at Hopetoun from the ‘other side’. Half way through our 10 hour trip home and he’s travelling well. We all commented on the volume and positivity of the volunteers- it was very appreciated and really noticeable.
We got a dressage PB, came a close second on the marathon and equal best cones of the day to secure our First National level win together.
Sorry I didn’t have enough signal to get on here otherwise I’d have invited you round :(
I know it’s probably not much consociational but we really did have a fantastic time.View attachment 74752View attachment 74754
View attachment 74755View attachment 74753View attachment 74757
Blooming well done ?????

Visit site
I know it’s probably not much consociational but we really did have a fantastic time.View attachment 74752View attachment 74754
View attachment 74755View attachment 74753View attachment 74757

Well done on your results! I did see your pony in the dressage and was impressed at his seriously flicky toes!

To be fair every single competitor said thank you as they left each obstacle which made everyone smile! For me it was just the total lack of organisation for the volunteers that annoyed me. I had no idea who anyone was as we were not given start lists, no idea of any of the equines names at all. They were never mentioned. No idea what I was supposed to be doing each day and a hell of a lot of hanging around doing nothing at all. For all the random events I have helped out at that was most definitely the worst for organisation. And being constantly called Ellie ... that just finished me off ???

rara007

Visit site
It’s a bit strange as we were given a stewards list?!? I guess they assumed you’d know where the paperwork was online :( I get the feeling most of the stewards had been going for decades. It was particularly poorly supported entries wise this year which is possibly why they ended up a bit over stewarded. Down south there’s been corners cut in the name of covid (ie there is rarely a farrier at the halt, tbh I can’t remember when my carriage was last measured post dressage in the UK) but evidently not up north! I was pleased with my little horses fitness- it’s hard to train for 17km at Hopetoun in Essex where there’s no hill! The first section ran 3km along the river then what felt like a 4km climb and even the walk section was uphill. Heart rate was 78 into halt and 54 after 5min and was under 75 by time we were back at the box after it all. Didn’t get to watch any bar the last couple as the entry was so small, tired horses are never good and we’re always told over use of the whip or flogging a tired horse won’t be tolerated :(

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
Great lesson today with Millie. It all just seemed to click into place and she went beautifully.
I realise I’ve been throwing my contact away again (it’s an ongoing battle) but I was strict with myself and the difference in Millie was so obvious... which just proves to me that it’s her useless rider always letting her down!
My trainer was very complimentary and said she was really proud of how far we have come, which was lovely. I would go as far as to say it was probably the best Millie has ever gone. She was brilliantly behaved to tie to the wagon, which isn’t always the case, so it was a great day all round.
The parental unit came to watch, which was lovely. Despite not being particularly horsey, they are loyal supporters.

I also bumped into 2 friends there that I haven’t seen for ages, so that was really nice.

Why does a day off go so fast??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
huge congratulations rara :) pics are fabulous.

nothing earth shattering here. a couple of useful sessions in the arena for Kira, just battering a few more things into my brain (and hers) consolidating the stuff we did last week and applying it to test movements. Feels like a bit of a leap forward with the tricky right pirouette, there's nothing wrong with the piri itself, it was just that the canter was evaporating before we could get there. experimented with the tempis a bit to see if a similar approach improved them (yes :p).

had a nice time hanging out with the Small Things and doing some slash 'n' burn at the oldies' field ready for the last bit of fencing. I did my first tractoring of the year chain harrowing and pulling out some scrubby trees.
it's ridiculous having 7 horses but I do love spending time with all of them.

K modeling our favourite Esky

204269964_4459017970776345_4471055143854897718_n.jpg

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Again, kept it deathly quiet because I’m a massive wuss but me and my super mare completed our first ever one day event. Only 4 years late but y’know… can’t rush things ?

Unafilliated, dizzying heights of 50cm again. Was a excitable unrideable tw*t in the dressage for a 38.

2 poles down in the SJ due to my bad riding (and the jumps not being big enough for her really) but I kept my forward rhythm.

A very, VERY leisurely clear XC ensued. If I am going to keep this up I need to lose a serious amount of weight, get fit, take decent painkillers and learn to ride the frigging mare forward. I was last to run for the day and I’m surprised they didn’t call out a search party we were so long.

4th place in a wee class of 7.

Not brave enough to share dressage or SJ videos as I rode like a goat, and you’ll be here till next millennia watching all the XC videos, so enjoy some stills of a fab day, and a small snippet of me jumping the wall of doom *ever so slightly better than three weeks ago… but still with lots of room for improvement!

Skye celebrated in style upon her return to the field.