Weekend plans : last weekend in June

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Well done to so many people on successful weekends! So nice following along with everyone.

I am quite pleased at how fulfilling groundwork is proving to be. Henry had lots of groundwork when he came to me at 3 but as his ridden career progressed, other than the odd tune up I prefer to ride! Coolie gets even less other than the odd lunge maybe once a year.

Basically all our skills need a tune up, and I can see how much benefit this work will have under saddle. Henry is getting so good at it all, and I can already see the improvements in both horses working over poles. Plus it is helping our relationships too. it's not as interesting as riding or jumping but I am pretty pleased at how well it's filling the gap until I can hop back on.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Well done everyone who got out and enjoyed themselves.

We didn't do much. OH didn't go out on his boat as everyone celebrated a little to hard on friday night. We had a lovely relaxing weekend just being around the animals. B is now happy to stand in the lorry eating. OH now thinks he's the next Monty Roberts as I've spent 9 years having issues loading B and he's done it with a packet of digestives and no head collar!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Been away at camp since Friday morning so not had a chance to read about everyone's weekend. But I will have a read later!

Fab time at Somerford running a camp. We had a cancellation literally on the day. So I chucked Scarlett on the box as Katie was working with me so thought she might have some spare time to slot into gaps in the schedule. Scarlett was just amazing! She did a XC lesson, gave leads to other horses. Was totally chilled on the 80 acres. Also did and SJ lesson with Katie. On Sunday I had time to play over a grid and then on the 80 acres. Just 30 minutes but enough to have a but of a canter round and jump a few small fences. She is just a superstar. Little clip of our weekend.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Alibear

Visit site
I'm so pleased to read about so many people having great weekends, and I can join in too. Amber was good on her hack on Saturday despite the horseflies being out in droves, which meant we had to keep moving, so we've now had our first trots and canters on a hack, and she was super. Stayed completely chilled in the canter and is very comfy; trot is bouncy but still controlled :)
Loading didn't go well on Saturday afternoon, so I dragged hubby with me in the evening and quickly got her loading and unloading. We took her for a trip around the village, loaded and unloaded again. She was nearly trotting up the ramp.
Sunday, I needed a little help to load; she just needs someone behind to click at her and someone at the front end, but she went on in under a minute, and we did it twice to keep the training up. She travelled fine and was pretty chilled when we arrived, just one little shout. There was no sign of any other horses there, but the stables were nearby, so she knew they were about. I couldn't have set up for a better first trip to a new place, all very tranquil, and she practically dragged me into the indoor school. She seemed to very much approve of all the space and the gorgeous arena and was relaxed and happy and worked nicely. She's still tired, so a little behind the leg, but gave it her best shot, and she was very settled and stayed straight and in a nice western shape. Again just a little assistance to load to come home, and she travelled fine. When we got home, I unloaded and loaded her again by myself and then turned her out.
I'll keep the loading practice up, but she's really pretty good, and I know we'll get it sussed as Daisy went through similar. It's helpful to take her out somewhere local now rather than a 2 hour each way trek, and we're planning a trip to Thetford forest on Sunday with our new hacking buddy.
I'm delighted, it was her first trip to somewhere that wasn't either where she was born and backed or my livery yard, and she was so relaxed you'd have thought she'd done it 100s of times.
Daisy's pads went on fine, but the farrier said she's still stiff when extending either hind leg. I'm still not quite happy with her action in front; she's moving much better, but I think there's one final tweak we need to make somewhere. She's happy under saddle and moving out better (she was trying to keep up with the lovely young dressage horse we were sharing the arena with yesterday :D ), but I'll keep tweaking things to see if we can get her where I want her.

Last edited:

Reacher

Visit site
Well done everyone competing and hope everyone had a good weekend.

I entered the eventer's derby on sunday (80 cm)with some trepidation due to my total lack of influence over speed in the xc in previous competition 3 weeks ago.....

The SJ went well, Mr H was quite chilled. After jump 3 I asked for and received a flying change from his stronger to weaker rein and received it, then I was a bit of a lemon after jump 5 and instead of asking for a change from his weaker to stronger rein I dribbled back into trot to change the rein. Other than that a nice clear.

Onto the XC............I was under instructions to NOT FIGHT HIM for control but let him do his job - that meant letting him set the speed and trusting him to throttle it back before the jumps - and it worked!! We again went clear, I was vaguely disappointed we again had time penalties , but (as I had been bleating on earlier to my lovely RI), he is barely 15 hh with little legs so he'll never make the time will he.... well actually we were 46 seconds TOO FAST!!!

I was absolutely thrilled with him :D

XC start
Harvey does Warwick Hall XC (Start) 80 cm 27 June 2021 - YouTube

XC finish
Harvey does XC at Warwick Hall (80 cm) (finish) 27 June 2021 - YouTube

blood_magik

Visit site
We had a good outing on Saturday.

Blue got a little upset in the warm up as it was a bit chaotic but settled once it quietened down. The first third of our test was a little messy as I tried to go a little too deep into the corners and unbalanced him ?‍♀️ But I thought the canter work more than made up for it.

We had a tiny miscommunication in the trot circle on a long rein and broke to canter but overall I was pleased as he was an absolute idiot on the Friday - I actually ended up cutting things short and getting off as I was getting frustrated with him and he was getting upset. ?

So not an amazing score (63.4-something) but an improvement on our first test and we got through the walk without jogging. Think he ended up 2nd in his section.

56804351-70CD-48E4-8D0C-3F1B743B420B.jpg

Then Raz. He warmed up nicely but went tense once we went into the main arena for the elementary so it was a case of nursing him round until he settled and softened. Overall I was really happy as he stayed lovely and soft once he relaxed and I thought he did a decent job considering we barely practiced and it was only our second time out. Ended up 2nd on 65.15 under a tough judge.

He then got a little cocky during the second warm up and started diving sideways in the half passes ? but we managed to salvage the softness *just* before we had to go through for M75.

I was really happy with how we did - the movements are all there now and we managed to keep everything soft for the most part but man, he made me work for it ?

We had a couple of mistakes - our walk piris only got 4’s and then I pushed too much in the final extended trot and we broke to canter but that wasn’t really anything to write home about considering he hasn’t done a medium test in almost 2 years. Ended up 3rd on 62.3 under the same tough judge (1st on just over 65%).

6A413ED0-A1B0-437D-AF9F-EAD32D4AE59E.jpg

Same again next weekend for Raz so I’m hoping we can polish a few things before then ☺️

humblepie

Visit site
Late to the party but an early alarm clock on Sunday and off to the RoR finals at Hickstead. Good job we set off in good time as had a lorry problem en route which very luckily OH managed to sort out. Meant didn’t have the chilled hack round the showground followed by proper warm up but fortunately my horse doesn’t need a long warm up and had enough time. A cheeky spook right in front of the judges wasn’t helpful but he went nicely enough for the ride judge to move up to fifth so Hickstead rosette and prize money. Top four from the two sections went through to the international arena so just missed out on that. Was nice to be warming up alongside the show jumpers and seeing all the amazing lorries. Some fab reports from the weekend, lovely as ever to see so many disciplines.

racebuddy

Visit site
so nice to see everyones weekends m anyone else finding it ridiculsay expensive ive spent 300 in a week on entries , need a few weekends off to save before the next lot , i as up early to ride this am before work at 7 am , so excited as we go away next week with horses and dogs , first week off since the original lockdown began xx

Squeak

Visit site
Late to the party but an early alarm clock on Sunday and off to the RoR finals at Hickstead. Good job we set off in good time as had a lorry problem en route which very luckily OH managed to sort out. Meant didn’t have the chilled hack round the showground followed by proper warm up but fortunately my horse doesn’t need a long warm up and had enough time. A cheeky spook right in front of the judges wasn’t helpful but he went nicely enough for the ride judge to move up to fifth so Hickstead rosette and prize money. Top four from the two sections went through to the international arena so just missed out on that. Was nice to be warming up alongside the show jumpers and seeing all the amazing lorries. Some fab reports from the weekend, lovely as ever to see so many disciplines.

Congratulations on the 5th. I'd been half planning on trying to qualify this year and after reading your report and that you enjoyed it I might try a qualifier or two next year.

humblepie

Visit site
Congratulations on the 5th. I'd been half planning on trying to qualify this year and after reading your report and that you enjoyed it I might try a qualifier or two next year.
Thank you. He is my second RoR show horse so have done a lot of it and always happy to chat about the series shows etc.

Visit site

Congrats! Its always nice to do with an RoR! At least you will have had an easy time getting entered etc compared to those in Scotland! The RoR are a shambles up here!

Squeak

Visit site
Thank you. He is my second RoR show horse so have done a lot of it and always happy to chat about the series shows etc.

Thank you, that’s a really kind offer and that would be brilliant to be able to pick your brains before I enter.

I started looking it up this year but as I usually event I really was clueless!