Weekend plans.....

Fiona

Visit site
How's the lorry situation chippers? Is it fixed?

Good luck everyone who is out this weekend either competing or training....

I was hoping to take 7yo and his pony out SJ this evening, but Oh looks like he won't be back in time to go 😣😣

Saturday I have an early start for dressage and SJ and on Sunday 7yo and I are supposed to be going to a showing show.

I have purchased fairy platinum and vanish spray to clean the two grey monsters...

Oh and I had a super jumping lesson yesterday with a new instructor..... One who is interested in sports psychology...

Fiona

Last edited:

Chippers1

Visit site
How's the lorry situation chippers? Is it fixed?

Well it's mostly fixed 🙂 on Weds they had the clutch/gear box out and he said the slave cylinder was trashed (which is what I thought!) But the clutch looks good and hardly worn so he advised that I didn't need to change that, saving me about £120 which is good news (he feels sorry for me so is very good at not making me spend too much!) And the last I heard they were ordering the cylinder. I was hoping it would be done by today but haven't heard anything so I'll give them a call early next week but fingers crossed it'll be done by the weekend so I can go out!
I'd like to do some practice loading before next sunday so hopefully by next Saturday it should be back.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I am off for a lesson tomorrow. It's our third with our fab new instructor. I'm loving my lessons and feeling like I'm finally starting to make progress.

Having said that we had a hideous time at Quest last Saturday and I ended up having a little weep in the back of the lorry. Rory is going brilliantly at home but our tests were both awful and I was so frustrated. He was a devil pony which resulted in me "over riding" him and fighting the whole way round the first test. Our second test was a bit better but my scores still aren't improving and I was disappointed that my collectives were identical on the second test.

Never mind. It just made me more determined. Taking a friend to lesson tomorrow to video it which should be useful and gave plenty of feedback from last weekend to work on.

We're in the same boat. I am loving our new instructor and our monthly lessons and feel like we make progress every time which just doesn't shine through in the ring. So frustrating as I know how nicely Chilli can go, it just never seems to happen! I just have to remind myself that I'm already living the dream, having a sweet horse who I love to death, finally having a beautiful trailer and a car to pull it with, going out competing. Even just a year ago I would have killed for that, so I just need to bloody well enjoy it no matter how my test goes.

I do understand it can be painfully frustrating though, especially when you just want everyone else to be able to see how fab your pony is!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Well, Chilli did enjoy a bit of mud today. So spent three and a half hours this afternoon (yay for no uni lecture today!) scrubbing and brushing and trimming and she looks lovely and clean now. Long may it last! Her owner is coming along to watch her tomorrow and hasn't seen her for a few months so I want her looking her best. :p

Her ears are still pretty yellow... But that's because she doesn't like them washed so we just cover them with a sparkly hat :cool:

52679018_1159462917546687_8420925550138228736_o.jpg

52585212_1159463004213345_3444979713204813824_o.jpg

53001489_1159463010880011_3358357236526088192_o.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
Moving yards! I've just got back from making my bed up and dropping my stuff off and Bobbie goes tomorrow. Straight back into work for her now we've got some facilities again. Sunday I'm expecting the new carriage to be dropped off so might even get to drive her then!

That's great - bet you need it with everything going on!

Pippity

Visit site
Things didn't start well with new instructor - I got stuck late at work, then arrived at the yard to discover Blue was still out and naked, so I was knocking the worst of the dust off when new instructor arrived! Tacked up in a bit of a scurry, realised I'd forgotten my boots, but was saved having to ride in trainers by finding an old pair of jod boots and chaps in the back of the tack room, then took a deep breath and tried to relax.

After that it was all easy! In his words, he uses dressage to train the horse, rather than training the horse to do dressage, which is what I'm looking for. I 'just' want her to use herself properly so she's got a better chance of making old bones despite her conformational flaws. There was lots of focus on making my aids smaller and keeping her responsive, and none of the usual cries for me to shorten my reins, which meant I was able to keep the contact much lighter, until she offered to shorten the reins by herself. By the end, she was actually able to trot in a straight line, with some help from me, which is a vast improvement on where we've been.

Now I just have to remember to keep it up, even when we're out hacking and my default is to pretty much drop the reins on her neck and let her follow the track!

rosiesowner

Visit site
We are going out to dressage again tomorrow. Second ever attempt for Rosie. Hoping to improve scores and improve on coming last 😂

I was last the last time I went! And I'm pretty sure I'll be last again today after seeing my score before we left, but it's the taking part that counts isn't it ;)

Abi90

Visit site
I was last the last time I went! And I'm pretty sure I'll be last again today after seeing my score before we left, but it's the taking part that counts isn't it ;)

Well we traded in accuracy for impulsion and bend. However she tripped in the same bit of the arena on both tests and literally fell out of the boards!! Ooops! I think I overdid the warm up as well but last time I didn’t warm up enough. Oh well it’s a work in progress!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Our first ever affiliated dressage this morning! I don't normally get nervous at shows but today I was as I knew her owner was coming to watch. She warmed up fantastically, unfortunately one minute before we were due in she suddenly had a rocket up her bottom for some unknown reason (as in cantering off with me, getting behind my leg but also tanking) and we didn’t have time to resolve it before it was our time to shine... Had she carried on the way she warmed up I’d have predicted a 65-66 score. If I'm honest, I was pretty disappointed when we finished but that's life with Chilli, you never know what you're going to get! However, 61.53% is still enough to count as our first sheet towards associated champs so that's where my focus is going!:D It'll be a great experience if we can go. Not sure where we placed yet, but I'm sure it'll be 6th out of 6 and I'm looking forward to getting our sheet in the post. Overall she behaved impeccably, just not in her test! Her owner is really pleased with how she's looking and we had a lovely morning out so definitely can't complain. I feel so lucky to have her.
Oh, and the bargain jacket got a trip out :p
IMG_8891.JPGIMG_8877.JPG

blood_magik

Visit site
I’m down to one rideable horse out of 5 😑

And just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, I’m spending my Saturday night on colic watch 🤦‍♀️ Just nipped up to the house to charge my phone in case I need to call the vet back...

as you were...

Leo Walker

Visit site
That's great - bet you need it with everything going on!

Yup. I thought I better try and focus on the good things going on rather than any eye related nonsense and its worked. I'm feeling remarkably cheerful :) And Bobbie has been a delight as usual. Slightly confused as to where the other driving ponies are and wondering what sort of show this is, but as theres food shes not that bothered really. Ive put my rug racks up and moved all my stuff in. I've even put her name plate up, although they spelt Bobbie wrong and its driving me mad so it might have to come back down!

52803584_10156337512583667_1214626969035997184_n.jpg

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I’m down to one rideable horse out of 5 😑

And just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, I’m spending my Saturday night on colic watch 🤦‍♀️ Just nipped up to the house to charge my phone in case I need to call the vet back...

as you were...

Jeepers...I really hope things start looking up for you soon BM x

Fiona

Visit site
Crikey BM, hope it resolves quickly... Big hugs x x

Well done RO, and I love the new jacket. Very flattering.

Fionn and I had an early start this morning with a dressage time of 9.30... Wee skitter went amazing in the warm up, and then dropped off my leg in the test. We did get over 65% though, and it didn't look as bad as it felt (even though the judge did ask me afterwards if I had something in my eye 🤣🤣 I have a bad habit of screwing up my face and squinting when I'm concentrating)....

Then we changed boots and braved the SJ warm up where he was a bit more forward, and jumped 2 lovely rounds at 70 with one v unlucky pole. I wasn't even too nervous 😲😲😲😲

Son's pony got her leg wedged through her rug surcingle this afternoon which was very scary... Thankfully she seems sound, hope she is still ok in the morning....

Fiona

Michen

Visit site
Not hunting this weekend so no funny near fall pics, but did get sent this very serious looking one from last weekend! We are off to an SJ clinic tomorrow, have entered our first BE for March so need to stop charging around the countryside like lunatics and actually do some training.

Boggle annoyed me so much out hacking today that when I got back to the yard I immediately took him back out hacking again. He’s anticipating getting back to his dinner too much and was so bossy and hot. When he then had to leave the yard again he screamed all the way up the hill but behaved much better on way home so hopefully the lesson will stick... 🤷‍♀️

CBB43166-BC8E-439E-9B87-6F8AD6D2CDF6.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
What a handsome boy Boggle is! And I love his name so much

His name is actually Jack! But when he got off the Irish lorry at the service station I just immediately thought Boggle. It’s a bit of a travesty that something so handsome gets shouted “bog” across the field at, but then he’s a bit of a silly horse so it suits him really! 😄 glad you like it- lots of people refused to call him Boggle to begin with but it’s stuck now ;)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Pippity - the cave trampoline sounds intriguing!!

Milliepops - your Hayley Watson-Greaves definitely needs a full report!! She always comes across as a hard grafter, and I love watching her compete on Rubin's Nite.

Glad you are back riding now Scats - that virus of yours sounds horrid!!

That sounds nasty Denbob - take it easy and enjoy your freedom!!

Thanks Humblepie - we had a fab time yesterday. Gaynor is so lovely and encouraging and I'm really happy with the floorplan we worked out. Here's a very brief clip from the session - I had hoped to get more, but my helper was told in no uncertain words to write down all the tempos and floorplans!

Well done on your Ele PB Mavandkaz!

Lovely to see you today Ester!! The masterclass with Ingrid Kimlke was great - she didn't like to use the word 'picky', but she was, and with good effect. There were definite improvements in all the combinations that she was training today. It was also entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Julesrules - I'm another one who definitely suffers from ring tension and transfers it to my horse. My instructor always reckons that competition results are always at least 6 months behind training levels, so just keep going. The more you get out, the better. xx

Chilli is looking super, and super clean Rosiesowner! Which Associated champs are you heading for?

blood_magik - that is so sad - really hoping things pick up for you and that your colic watch is just precautionary. xx

Bobbie is so lovely LW - I'm sure she will settle soon, as long as she has food! ;)

Sounds like a good day for you Fiona, less so for son's pony - my sec A did the same many years back. I think the smaller ponies seem to get themselves into these situations more easily.

Boggle sounds like many others at the moment - Spring is definitely SPRINGING!!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Vet’s been. thankfully it’s a mild case of spasmodic colic - Blue’s had some buscopan and is much happier already.

Vet must be sick of the sight of us by now - he was out yesterday as well and we’ll be seeing him again in two weeks when Henry goes in for his surgery 🙈

People will talk!

Bernster

Visit site
Cool niki, so she’s playing along as you ride? Good luck with the floor plan.

The jacket looks v smart RO.

Mad day yesterday, it felt like summer! Did some grid work over teeny raised poles working on some tips for stopping the pony club kick. Have posted on that thread but they worked really well. Well done hho.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Just back from showjumping in the sunshine, which is always a plus.

Double clear in the 80, and a highly respectable second place, then just caught the first bit of the double in the 90 bt jumped everything else clear including the stile and a bloody enormous triple bar which terrified me in the course walk. One of those fences where you think 'hang on, are we meant to be in the air this long?'

I do love the old boy, he knows his job so well and makes me smile every time I sit on him.