Weekend plans!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Darcy went to arena hire :)
Venue had left their outdoor arena open for bookings but they had a show on that was using it ?‍♀️
No bother, we went indoors instead. Jeez it was hot in there. Nice temp outside but airless and boiling inside ?
He worked his socks off. I appreciated the mirrors to check how the travers is coming along. It feels like we're on a plateau again but actually we're still progressing, its just compared to kira he feels terribly green still.

Adding in more lateral work has really improved his straightness (though its broken our canter transitions ?). He is still hard to get into the right hand but it's coming better each week and the feel in his body, rather than the contact, is nearly equal.. KOKO.
20200719_221226_compress9.jpg

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
We actually got Skylla tired! ??

Two trips to Kelsall (after Eland on thursday) and she was actually a bit knackered, it was a weird sensation as it never happens lol she has definitely earnt a few days off now, then dressage practice for Frickley!

Saturday was the grass arena eventing, back up to the 80cm, took her flash off as I'm pretty sure this is the route of the rub and wow was she rude without it ?. Plus it was raining so slightly less grip on the rein and the rude thug that apparently is excited Skylla were not a good mix! So one SJ down where she totally just ran into it ignoring me and one stop where I didn't get her together again in time, both fixable and not too worrying. Also I'm quite pleased how surefooted she is for a barefoot eventer :p, there were a couple of fences downhill, or landing downhill and she was very secure, hopefully the shoes can stay off a while longer!
Look at that butt!
110313210_1361499234035933_806827700934621528_o.jpg

110887699_1361499204035936_3031755415307422068_o.jpg

Video but mum had hold of Topaz so couldn't zoom in!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then yesterday we went back for some showjump practice, kept everything small (apparently this is small now lol, I am still a wimp SJ'ing!), as we just wanted a nice confidence building schooling round. A couple of stops where I took my eye off the ball, but otherwise she's getting pretty rideable :cool:.

Alibear

Visit site
Lessons went well on Thursday and Friday, much more settled Amber and it looks like Daisys saddle may fit, fingers crossed.
Had an awesome lesson on Friday and actually managed to ride properly for about 10 mins. I love it when you get those occasionaly glimpses of how its supposed to go. I need to keep my calves on and my thighs soft, I know this and I try but fail and my lower legs end up going tap tap tap. Stopped, had a demo, regrouped , gave it a shot feeling like I was really gripping with my calves with all my might to find out that they were just about still and on now! But Amber went beautifully while I managed it. Here's hoping I can build on this, and how awesome is my 4 year old to put up with all that. Happy day.

milliepops

Visit site
I was so not up for riding today after a crappy day at work but I figured if I didn't ride Kira then no one else was going to do it for me ;) pleased we did, I got some useful clips from pivo over the weekend and noticed a couple of things I could do better, so put them into practice today. popped my stirrups up a hole which felt insanely short but gave me a better support base for the towards-passage work. it's funny how one hole makes such a difference, I felt like I had my knees round my ears but it looks OK in the video :p

all pushing along, really focussed on the straightness today and she felt super afterwards, it's hard for her but I can see how the passage work is going to really improve her trot.

110250811_3457012167643602_4339364973906123272_o.jpg

109231042_3457011147643704_8076334066398488125_o.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
I had one of those 'not very good on paper' days that was actually a triumph.
We went combined training- dressage on grass which horse was quite jolly about, couple of mistakes, scored 36. The SJ was like my worst nightmare as my cow phobic horse had to cope with a whole herd of them coming in for milking right next to the warm up, so we gave up trying to engage a brain cell and went in. Focused on keeping it forward to stop the spooking and we had no spooking at all- all together much more professional. Sadly her being spooky makes her ultra careful so my clear round machine had 2 poles down, but that will come!

Pippity

Visit site
As part of my plan to get Blue hacking on her own, I took her out this evening with someone walking on foot and gradually dropping behind us. She had a bit of a reverse when we met a tractor behind a hedge but listened when I pushed her on, and she didn't bat an eyelid at the bus going past while we were halted at a t-junction. It was a really positive experience for both of us, and I'm proud of her!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well I failed on my goal of getting Arts through the weekend unscathed ?. But at least just a surface scratch this time, but right under where the saddle flap lies:rolleyes:. I gave it a poke and she didn't try to eat my face so I rode anyway (felt mildly guilty but it didn't seem to bother her). Haven't schooled for a while as the call to hack at this time of year is just too great, so had a bit of a play in the arena. After 5 mins of definitely not concentrating - 'look a thing, oo another thing, oh what's going on over there, ooo a thistle I can eat' - she was really good. Right rein canter is actually starting to get quite rideable now, and left rein is getting better gradually. Really want to get out for a lesson/clinic now but do I dare plan anything?!

Pebbles is aceing her horsebox training, I'm probably doing more than I need to with her but I've been paranoid about loading since Dabs kept me stuck in the forest for 7 hours when he was 5.

And as for Dabs, well he's lame ?. Right hind by the looks. So will have to get him a work up in the next week or so. For now he is chilling to see if it improves at all but it has stayed at the same level for the last 3 days so...:(

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
As part of my plan to get Blue hacking on her own, I took her out this evening with someone walking on foot and gradually dropping behind us. She had a bit of a reverse when we met a tractor behind a hedge but listened when I pushed her on, and she didn't bat an eyelid at the bus going past while we were halted at a t-junction. It was a really positive experience for both of us, and I'm proud of her!

That's fab! :cool:

milliepops

Visit site
Well I failed on my goal of getting Arts through the weekend unscathed ?. But at least just a surface scratch this time, but right under where the saddle flap lies:rolleyes:. I gave it a poke and she didn't try to eat my face so I rode anyway (felt mildly guilty but it didn't seem to bother her). Haven't schooled for a while as the call to hack at this time of year is just too great, so had a bit of a play in the arena. After 5 mins of definitely not concentrating - 'look a thing, oo another thing, oh what's going on over there, ooo a thistle I can eat' - she was really good. Right rein canter is actually starting to get quite rideable now, and left rein is getting better gradually. Really want to get out for a lesson/clinic now but do I dare plan anything?!

Pebbles is aceing her horsebox training, I'm probably doing more than I need to with her but I've been paranoid about loading since Dabs kept me stuck in the forest for 7 hours when he was 5.

And as for Dabs, well he's lame ?. Right hind by the looks. So will have to get him a work up in the next week or so. For now he is chilling to see if it improves at all but it has stayed at the same level for the last 3 days so...:(
bloody horses :( hope it's nothing serious.

Chippers1

Visit site
I don't think it was a fair question for Toby - too many new things at once. It's made full use of the 'brush' rule so it's 70cm not 50 (I measured it!).

I was there when the owner of Eland was cutting this and he said he was doing 20cm over - I said that I thought that was a little unfair! You go expecting to do a 50cm course for confidence building if you're nervous or on a young horse and end up having to do a 70cm...:rolleyes: apparently because they are supposed to brush through then it's fine...tell that to Buzz! I'm sure it's supposed to be 10cm and not 20...

Toby looking good otherwise! That little trailer jump freaked me out but Buzz didn't even look at it :D

Everyone else looking great too!

Buzz got measured up for a new saddle yesterday so that's exciting.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I was there when the owner of Eland was cutting this and he said he was doing 20cm over - I said that I thought that was a little unfair! You go expecting to do a 50cm course for confidence building if you're nervous or on a young horse and end up having to do a 70cm...:rolleyes: apparently because they are supposed to brush through then it's fine...tell that to Buzz! I'm sure it's supposed to be 10cm and not 20...

Toby looking good otherwise! That little trailer jump freaked me out but Buzz didn't even look at it :D

Everyone else looking great too!

Buzz got measured up for a new saddle yesterday so that's exciting.

You cant brush through it anyway. Its thick wood and they know not to touch it. It might give a little but they almost all clear it. Unlike the brush at number 3 which they can and do brush through. I wonder how they know?!

Eland is renowned for building tough courses but in a lesson it really was totally unnecessary to ask Toby to jump it. At this stage all I want to do is give him nice, confidence building experiences as he learns XC is fun! And introduce new things one at a time not all in one jump.

My RI uses a nice analogy- she talks about putting jumping credit in the bank with easy, inviting fences that you ride well. And taking credit out of the bank with awkward, tricky or scary fences or ones you mess up by getting out of balance or catching them in the mouth. You need to stay in credit overall. I've not put anywhere near enough credit in the bank yet to expect Toby to jump a ditch to a 70cm hedge with a drop.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Hope Dabs is ok :(

I'm so pleased with J at the minute. Rode in the school to do some poles on Sunday and YO and her husband were using chainsaws etc. to cut down some bushes in the field next door. He could see them and was fine but as soon as we got in the arena one of the flirty mares was calling him, and he was calling back. Honestly he felt tense and ready to go. I wanted to get off. I didn't. I asked OH to put some poles out and we went up into trot and made him (and me!) concentrate on what we were doing. He was a star. Even when one of the chainsaws was started just as we got level he just stopped and jumped a bit looked and when I said it was ok he walked past, snorted but was chilled.

The YO even came up to us after and said "He was a very good boy wasn't he"... apparently she doesn't give out praise lightly! She also said my OH was brilliant with J (which he is).

And then yesterday I did some clipper desensitising. He hates the vibrations so I got some Lister Harmony Plus clippers which are low in sound and vibration but good for feathers/ hairy cob legs! on a lunge line and in the middle of the yard just started off a bit away, turning them on and waiting for him to just soften and then turned them off. He did move around a bit but the aim is not to chase but move with him and not turn them off until he is still. He only moved once and then realised its less effort and over quicker if he stands. He is a clever coblet that one!. Asked someone else to hold the lunge line, fairly loose so he didnt feel trappe. He let me run the clippers (not blade end) down one front and one back leg with no worries. no moving or kicking his legs.

This morning started the same as above (video) and then he let me run the clippers (again not the blade side) down all 4 legs without anyone else holding him, and with no issues. He didn't move or even flinch.

Clever J :)

Ambers Echo

Visit site

Really sorry to hear this. Hope its nothing serious.

Chippers1

Visit site
Exactly, it's not really a brush! I'm doing the 70 in the next competition and dreading that fence as I know it's 90, wish I wasn't there when he was cutting them! I agree that it's too much in one go. It caught a lot of people out at the last hunter trial too.

That's a really good analogy and I should think about it when i'm out xc schooling as Buzz can still have his moments :D

Roxylola

Visit site
Bum, I fancied the 70 in their hunter trial - take it that's the one you were entering, mid august?

Chippers1

Visit site
Yes the one on the 8th of August, can't believe it's full already! I was waiting until I got paid to enter :(

Roxylola

Visit site
Yes the one on the 8th of August, can't believe it's full already! I was waiting until I got paid to enter :(
Yeah, I was going to hang on as to if I should do the 70 or 80 til after a xc training session tomorrow at somerford (incidentally with AE's fab instructor)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Ah Katie is on at 12.00. I'm taking Toby schooling while Katie has her lesson. We are doing the Team ODE as well. It is so much fun. I've done it the last few years.
Enjoy your lesson!

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh we might sort of see you at the change over. I'll be the one wrestling the black and white tank ?

Bernster

Visit site
I think lots of folks are entering in force now, making up for all that time in lock down. I’m starting to plan things although not booked onto much just yet. Am on the hunt for a camp coming up soon too ?. Obv by then the ground will be rock hard so cant do anything ?

oldie48

Visit site
Keeping fingers and toes crossed for Dabs, I hope it's nothing serious.
Lovely to see you all out and about again and some great pics.
Rose has been busy again and the work has put on topline and muscle over her back, both saddles are tending to slip back but she doesn't seem unhappy. I think the VIP is helping. Saddler is really busy so I am having to take her up to his place unless I want to wait weeks, which is not an option. Physio is recovering from being double barrelled, so we are on her list for when she's back in work. I took Rose to AM dressage yesterday and she went well, each week she is showing a bit more inclination to carry herself and stay in front of the leg. I've booked a three day stay for after my appt with the saddler. My little post lockdown treat!
Best news is that we spent an hour on TROT this morning, went to new places, met cows at a distance (and no she didn't like them much but was sensible) I am feeling more confident with each trip and we are tackling more adventurous hacks. Next week we are going to have a canter having done several trots without incident. I am very pleased with Rose as she is just taking it all in her stride although I'm a bit useless with gates!