Weekend plans!

humblepie

Visit site
We’ve been out. Did our third unaffiliated medium epic fail by rider as I went wrong but judge didn’t sound horn so I should have just kept going but I didn’t so that confused us both. Then near end I had a complete brain fade as to what came next so retired. Only had two movements and halt left. Had reasonable scores though on bits I remembered ?

SpottyTB

Visit site
Great day had, he was much stickier this weekend but started to flow after fence 7. Definitely better over the bigger fences. He flew round, rather quickly (25 seconds to quick) but clear. His second hunter trial so I am thrilled with him!!

Feel bad for whizzing round So fast but we were having fun and the only info we had was 440m per minute... no optimum time given, so I had no idea what speed to go at really... plus all the organisers were saying “it’s a quick time” so I thought I best get on ?.

Anyway we came 8th with 10 time faults! 235205EC-7FC0-4DD9-80C1-49453030093A.jpeg

Bernster

Visit site
Good and bad today! Hedge hopping clinic. Good - we did some decent fences and we did jump one fairly meaty hedge. Bad - he was like a coiled spring for most of it, reared when another horse cantered past (he never rears!), and bucked me off after the hedge (he never bucks!). I landed face first and he bu&&ered off. Took a bump to the face and will feel it tmrw but nothing majorly damaged. Ended it there cos he was still feeling a bit full of it so I had a fag (I never smoke!) and celebrated having hopped the one hedge ?‍♀️ The sequence in all its gory glory...
7C8072F7-8978-4B9F-B9F0-BCDDCDF5B14C.jpeg380B63B5-269C-4227-A03C-8DA384BC1D8D.jpeg158CAE58-B470-4EC2-850A-D62180D16143.jpegECBDBBD2-AA96-4088-BD38-99CEFD49F1FC.jpeg

McFluff

Visit site
So that’s my first post-Covid comp done. Great to be back out, sun shone and pony was happy to be back out.
It’s a bit strange, but better than nothing. I’m definitely rusty, only done six tests in 18 months (and not a lot of competition experience before that!) and it showed.
The worst bit is having scores but no sheets yet. I got 65.6% in first test, which with a good tough judge I’m pleased with as I know where I didn’t do well. Second test felt much better. Only got 62% though so not sure what happened. Wondering if I went wrong. Don’t think I did...

mairiwick

Visit site
Very late entry to the weekend activities! Seem to have had clashes with local comps at the moment but we did have a biomechanics & flatwork clinic today.. same instructors that we had at camp and was really good to get the (several..) tweaks needed in the biomech session. Not sure there was one part of me that didn't need sorting out! But as always, as I got my stuff together, so Ness felt the benefit and we had a really good flatwork session. Regular lessons we've been working more on the canter and the impulsion, so was good to focus on our trot work a bit more - having had some loss of balance issues in med trot in a few tests. Everything felt pretty good, some parts I actually remembered to sit up and just enjoy the moment! Big grin again afterwards.. need to get my BD registration sorted I think and maybe even have a crack at Quest?

120322670_10164193757635335_106371112565195455_n.jpg

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Went hacking on Sat
120353088_1419587128227143_2590893498423251060_n.jpg

120100690_1419587034893819_8208800148863802488_o.jpg

Then Di Breeze yesterday!
Super pleased that all the plugging away over lockdown has definitely brought improvements, I've not been focusing on Topaz with the little grey one trying to event, so she's just been kept ticking over with some playing with the fun bits. The passage/ piaffe work has really improved the trot overall, she has such a good natural trot it's not something we've actively worked on to improve unlike the canter, so it's lovely to see how much bigger/ more cadence you can get with just some more strength training.

Pirouettes are stronger and smaller so need to stay brave in the test now! Sequence changes are almost polite now
1f64c_1f3fb.png
1f92b.png
, so just a fabulous lesson overall. Need to work on maintaining the left bend in the left walk and canter pirouette so lots of left travers to be done! Also need a bit more ride fitness as Topaz was pretty horrified at working on all PSG aspects in one day
1f602.png
1f648.png
120333058_1420630051456184_6916694605831651553_n.jpg

DressageCob

Visit site
We had an educational time out dressageing yesterday. There were some mega posh horses there, with mega fancy riders, who all seemed to know each other and were talking about their training with top riders etc and I stupidly let it get to me and I got a bad case of imposter syndrome. So I rode like a numpty in my first test. Big cob still did a nice test and it was accurate but it wasn't soft enough. I also fluffed my quarter pirouettes in the walk so got 4s ? The judge was scoring less than generously all day (classes being won on 60%, no score over 67% even for the gold people on shiny horses) so I wasn't surprised to get 59% in M63. Not disappointed, since I knew it was my fault, plus we are new to this level.

Still, since it was my fault I wanted to have another go so did the M71. I had entered but wasn't going to bother since it was 7:30pm and two mediums is a bit of a push for me, but I didn't want to leave it there. That test was much softer and I rode much more positively. I was really pleased with how it went. We won our section, but only scored 60% ? I was glad to break the 60% mark with this judge though.

Photo because he's handsome ❤️

IMG_6363.JPG

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
just starting to feel the benefits of the Andy Thomas clinic, yesterday had a good ride experimenting with what we'd done on Friday and today I think I sussed the right feel in more advanced exercises. I think this is going to make quite a difference in a few ways! Just looked at half pass and piris so far but already seeing an improvement functionally and also feeling tidier as a rider :p
an ex-HHOer friend has got him coming to her place in 6 weeks so I've asked for a follow up appointment :)

K in the sunshine :)

120359589_3667669679911182_3663440443121937638_o.jpg

DressageCob

Visit site
I should have mentioned my other chap! We had a lovely lesson on Saturday and he went beautifully. His shoulder ins and half passes are coming much better. Yesterday was also the two year anniversary of eye-gate. I'm so proud of his bounce back to form. He's better than he ever was ?

Photo of the memory
IMG_6430.JPG

Reacher

Visit site
Well it sounds like a good weekend for most people .

@Pippity - sorry about your upsetting lesson- I’ve had lessons where I was reduced to tears - it’s crap.

Bernster - ouch - hope you aren’t too sore.

I’m jealous of some of you having access to wizard trainers - though it would probably be over my head! (And my current trainers are great BTW!)

Well I took mr H arena eventing on Saturday- just 80cm again - he was an absolute star. So controllable and manoeuvrable - it felt like a proper partnership- it has taken 4 years to get to this point - before everything was a bit of a battle with him being strong, me being crap and fighting him and inadvertently making him strong.
I’m a bog standard RC rider and I know it’s small beer compared to a lot of you but I’m so chuffed! As everyone is super kind and supportive here is the video!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

45FF0762-2696-4F92-A23B-7616C4DEBFFC.jpeg

Pippity

Visit site
Well it sounds like a good weekend for most people .

@Pippity - sorry about your upsetting lesson- I’ve had lessons where I was reduced to tears - it’s crap.

Bernster - ouch - hope you aren’t too sore.

I’m jealous of some of you having access to wizard trainers - though it would probably be over my head! (And my current trainers are great BTW!)

Well I took mr H arena eventing on Saturday- just 80cm again - he was an absolute star. So controllable and manoeuvrable - it felt like a proper partnership- it has taken 4 years to get to this point - before everything was a bit of a battle with him being strong, me being crap and fighting him and inadvertently making him strong.
I’m a bog standard RC rider and I know it’s small beer compared to a lot of you but I’m so chuffed! As everyone is super kind and supportive here is the video!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 55964

80cm is about 50cm more than I'd ever consider jumping, so well done! He looks so proud of himself in that photo.

I've figured out that the instructor was too kind. I need somebody who'll argue back, call me an idiot, and give me a kick up the arse. I can't cope with people being kind!

Reacher

Visit site
Where, flying Harvey there - looks ace

Thankyou ? I’m so proud of him i’m welling up ?

80cm is about 50cm more than I'd ever consider jumping, so well done! He looks so proud of himself in that photo.

I've figured out that the instructor was too kind. I need somebody who'll argue back, call me an idiot, and give me a kick up the arse. I can't cope with people being kind!

Yes he does look proud ?
Glad you’ve figured it out (that sort of instructor would make me ??? ?)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If you're including Andy Thomas in that (who IS a wizard!) he's a physio so it can't go over your head!:cool: just sets you up so you can be more effective doing the stuff you're already doing :) for me it has showed me that my horse is better than I thought she was :oops: shouldn't be a surprise that half the problem is me, really :p

Reacher

Visit site
If you're including Andy Thomas in that (who IS a wizard!) he's a physio so it can't go over your head!:cool: just sets you up so you can be more effective doing the stuff you're already doing :) for me it has showed me that my horse is better than I thought she was :oops: shouldn't be a surprise that half the problem is me, really :p
Ah I misunderstood- sound excellent anyway

Reacher

Visit site
Ok you lot, stop saying ‘only’ ! Inside track Eventing has a great post about it not being only, or just, and what an achievement any of it is.

great round reacher and I love the fleece.

Sorry! Ooh - i will look up inside track eventing, I’ve not seen them.

Thank you re the round - the fleece came from Lidl but he knows he is a champion ?

Bernster

Visit site
Hee. I’ve copied it below. She has some great posts but this one really struck me..inside Track Eventing -

??'? ???? ?? ???? ?????? "????" ??? "????".

"?'? ???? ????? ??? 80?? ?????"

"?'? ???? ????????? ?? ?????? ?????"

"?? ?'? ??? ? ???? ???????, ? ???? ?? ??? ??? ??????"

How many of us have said something similar to the above?

I have uttered every single one of these phrases, and then some.

The worst one was when I won a 80cm SJI Championship - I felt so proud, and then this small voice in the back of my head said "???? ?????'? ?????, ??'? ???? 80?".

Today I'm here to tell myself and everyone else that we need to stop saying "only" and "just" when we talk about our efforts and achievements.

We work damn hard. We show up in the early mornings, late at night, in rain wind and hail. We worry about our horses' feed, we get physios vets and farriers to mind and monitor them. We read everything on the internet to better educate ourselves, and we get lessons to become the best we can be.

We care deeply about our horses and work hard to ride them the best we can. We ride and compete at a level that we are capable of, and that is safe for us to have fun and be competitive at.

So no, we are not "just" doing a certain level or class. We worked hard and we have every right to be proud of the journey it took to get there, and of our achievements.

There is no threshold for qualification to be considered a "real" rider or competitor.

If you enter an arena at A and proceed down the centre line, you are doing dressage.

If you enter an arena and jump a course of fences, you are showjumping.

If you do a dressage test, jump a course of fences, and go cross country, you are eventing.

Do not diminish the work, love and care that you put into this sport. Do not minimise your accomplishments, or belittle what it's taken you to get to where you are today.

When you say "just" or "only", you don't just minimise your own accomplishments or put yourself down, you also set an example to others that they too are "just" and "only".

You are not "just". You are not "only".

You are.

So go do it. Enjoy it. Smash it ❤️

oldie48

Visit site
Totally agree with Bernster no "just" or "only" allowed, but I was impressed with your horse's buck, ouch!
MP, does AT use activation bands, or are they something different? Rose's sharer has activation bands, they come in different sizes depending, I guess, on your height. She says she'll give me a session with them but for the time being I'm happy to watch her getting to know Rose. Actually, it's going really well. She loves riding Rose and is getting some super work. she had a lesson with JS at AM Dressage this morning and is really upping the standard of work. She's a much better rider than I am and less than half my age so I am thrilled to have found her, just sorry her own horse is off work ATM. Rose is shattered!