Weekend plans

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Pepsi had a good jumping lesson yesterday! So much of riding him is just working on how I have to ride to let him do his job ? he likes everything softly softly so you can’t do too much with the front end or he ends up fighting. We’ve got the bit fitter coming next weekend, so hoping we can come up with some ideas as I’m still not 100% happy with it… thinking we might need to go the non-metal bit route but reluctant to spend the money if my thinking is wrong as you can’t get them on trial… ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bernster

Visit site
Halle-flipping-lujah (had to google how to spell that haha)!! Miracles do happen and maybe I can ride this horse ?.

Had a lesson on Sunday where we did a lot of work on the trot (didn’t even get to canter as there’s so much to deal with in just walk and trot ?). Tried Bertie in the school last night and had the best flatwork session yet! Even though it’s the most basic stuff that we’re working on, it feels like an amazing achievement to finally get a decent consistent trot, and then to get him back in balance after the canter. A glimmer of hope that I might actually be able to do a dressage test on himat some point.

I’ve been a bit down lately and dwelling on what’s not going well, so this feels like a real step forward. And I don’t feel quite so hesitant about throwing us in the deep end and going to camp this weekend. ???

j1ffy

Visit site
Sneaking on last weekend's thread...

We had another lesson on Monday evening, working through Chilli's teenager-y napping issue that's developed since our aborted dressage competition. Monday was a test as other horses were working in all paces in the smaller, lower arena at my yard and he could see them when near the fence so plenty to distract him from me. He's a hot head who seems to go very 'into' himself and into an anxious pattern once things go wrong - while simply making him move forward worked a week ago, it seemed to get him more worried this time. We found that tiny circles in walk were more effective and once we'd done that, he accepted the aids and worked beautifully in walk and trot - in a good rhythm, moving loosely and elastic in the contact (note the use of the scales of training there ;) ). Very pleased with that, and happy to only need a short lesson again to work through it!

I did a very short session to reinforce the lesson yesterday. He tried to nap twice and one small circle got him back, and he went straight into the lovely trot again. Once tiny reaction when another youngster was hacking past and spooked when we came around the corner, making Chilli brace but he went straight back to work again. Hopefully I've got the key to him now and have found away to re-engage his brain and body...the only downside was having 'Spinning Around' by Kylie in my head for the entire session! Actually it wasn't really a downside as singing it helped me relax and think forward ?