WEG - Would you send your horse into a hurricane?

Sheep

Visit site
Can 100% understand their viewpoint, their statement is very well worded I think.
These 2 sections stood out for me the most:
"We have decided that we are not prepared to send our horse half way across the world in to a potentially catastrophic hurricane that may or may not hit the area that he will be staying"

and

"We wish all riders and horses well at the games and pray that we have been over cautious in our decision"

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I agree.

Whilst we'll take risks for ourselves, we shouldn't put any other creature in harms way.

Obviously that vould be extrapolated into any horse related activity, but there's a world of difference between a BE cross-country round and being in a hurricane.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I agree with Sheep, I thought it was a very well worded statement. I wouldn't be sending a horse out there at this point. It must be awful for those already out there, worrying about what might happen.

ihatework

Visit site
I agree with Sheep, I thought it was a very well worded statement. I wouldn't be sending a horse out there at this point. It must be awful for those already out there, worrying about what might happen.

It’s a matter of timing for them and the fact that they were last minute reserve. So I understand their decision, it makes sense.

The bulk of the WEG horses are already there so don’t have much choice and are probably in the best place, all things considered, being inland with good stabling and support on site.

The Tryon disaster predictions are unfolding as many have been quietly discussing for some time. Those event riders not selected are hopefully feeling better about it now as they trot up their horses at Blenheim, on great ground, good facilities and nice weather.

I would not be surprised if xc day went the same way as the endurance, the turf is just way to new to withstand what is coming its way

9tails

Visit site
I'm shocked at what they think is acceptable accommodation for the grooms. I note that alternative accommodation is offered 35 minutes shuttle bus away, which obviously won't work in an emergency.

As the ladies tent is 12 bunk beds and there's a men's tent as well, that means the organisers have "underestimated" by almost 50 grooms!

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Very sensible. I'd be surprised if that's the only horse not to be sent.

I actually can't see how the xc can be run. So fully expect to see it cancelled.

conniegirl

Visit site
Is anyone else also finding the website really hard to use? Wont show me results properly and not wont show me any results at all! what a shambles!

yep same, I'm at work so cant watch the live feed so just wanted to be able to check the printed results every now and then. Its been stuck on the NZ rider (3rd rider of the day) for ages now

MyBoyChe

Visit site
No I wouldnt. I remember the Bradleys refusing to let Milton travel to the Olympics in Seoul back in the 80s and how they were criticised for their decision. But at the end of the day the horse belongs to the owners and if they arent prepared to take the risk then everyone else should respect the decision and shut up.

rachk89

Visit site
I wouldn't have sent the horse either. It's fine for those already there, they travelled before the hurricane is hitting there and before it was known how bad it would be. But getting on a plane to fly into a hurricane isnt the best idea. It's not safe.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I was asked if I would lend my Grand Prix horse to a para for the Beijing olympics ... I said no - it’s a huge deal to me to send a horse across the world - if it had been London I’d’ve said yes - he was a ideal para horse - nothing fazed him and he was totally push button and if he wasn’t sure his only ‘evasion was to grind to a halt... but there was no way I was putting him through that journey and to do so if there was a storm coming - not a chance in hell.

Auslander

Visit site
I was asked if I would lend my Grand Prix horse to a para for the Beijing olympics ... I said no - it’s a huge deal to me to send a horse across the world - if it had been London I’d’ve said yes - he was a ideal para horse - nothing fazed him and he was totally push button and if he wasn’t sure his only ‘evasion was to grind to a halt... but there was no way I was putting him through that journey and to do so if there was a storm coming - not a chance in hell.

Spooky! Alf went through the selection process to be one of the squad horses for the Beiijing Paralympics. He failed the vet, so didn't go

hobo

Visit site
So far the biggest problem with the weather at Tryon is the heat & humidity. The horses seem to be coping well and there was some lovely eventing dressage today with calm horses doing lovely tests.

Saw some of the endurance horse being led round in hand after their aborted race, but had done 110km the looked relaxed and well.

The storm has been down graded to a cat2 but if it rains hard at Tryon it could get a bit of a mess. So fingers crossed that that the storm will be a damp sqid.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Has anyone read about the nz endurance rider who couldn't afford the return flight for their horse so arranged to sell it in the states? Not sure how much is true!

sport horse

Visit site
[Content removed]
I think if you follow the FEI news that there will not be another WEG. No country has bid for it and the FEI are now asking for bids from countries willing to host more than one discipline. ie Dressage and Para Dressage.

Last edited by a moderator: