Weight for adult riding a sec A

Native Lover

Visit site
What would be the maximum weight for a little 11-12hh sec A pony?

I have had a lady reply to my advert, about the possibility of riding him for hacking and schooling. I got given this little pony a month ago.

She is only 5 ft 3 which is fine. I just wondered about what weight he could carry. He is fairly stocky for a Welsh Mountain. He keeps himself fit running around in the field.

So what weight, I have no idea. I always say a stone a hand as a rough guide but would that be too much for a sec A?

Help please, I need to make a descision.

007-5.jpg

BringoutheBest

Visit site
Probably not much help but I ride a 12.3 welsh B (the grey in my signature) and I am about 5'3 and 7 and a half ish stone. My instructor tells me there is no way I am too heavy for him and not too worry (even though I do! :p)

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Probably not much help but I ride a 12.3 welsh B (the grey in my signature) and I am about 5'3 and 7 and a half ish stone. My instructor tells me there is no way I am too heavy for him and not too worry (even though I do! :p)

A 12.3 seriously? 7.5 stone isnt that much i agree, i do weigh more than that!! But 5ft3 isnt that small. Why do you ride it out of interest?

Native Lover

Visit site

Thank you for replying :) You look good on him . I would say most welsh B's are not as stocky as these little welsh mountain ponies. But I am pleased to see not everyone considers them a childs pony :)

BSJAlove

Visit site
A 12.3 seriously? 7.5 stone isnt that much i agree, i do weigh more than that!! But 5ft3 isnt that small. Why do you ride it out of interest?

Ha you would hate me, I backed and produced a 12hh pony, Im 5'3 and started off weighing 9.5 stone then worked my way down to 8.5. He was fine, infact he loved it. Hes now in a lovely loan home with a little boy and they have so much fun!!

OP - Id say the pony wouldnt take more then a small 7 stone. He looks alot smaller then my 12hh!

asbo

Visit site
my A is a drama queen and throws a fit if anyone over 6 stone dares to sit on her,but she is fine, shes had around 7 1/2 stone on her which includes tack, my friends sec A will happily bugger off with 8 stone plus on him,but he is chunkier than my lady.

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Thank you for replying :) You look good on him . I would say most welsh B's are not as stocky as these little welsh mountain ponies. But I am pleased to see not everyone considers them a childs pony :)

I dont think your pony looks strong in his pic Native Lover, he has a dipped back. I wouldnt put an adult on him and would question why an adult would want to ride an 11H pony!

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Ha you would hate me, I backed and produced a 12hh pony, Im 5'3 and started off weighing 9.5 stone then worked my way down to 8.5. He was fine, infact he loved it. Hes now in a lovely loan home with a little boy and they have so much fun!!

OP - Id say the pony wouldnt take more then a small 7 stone. He looks alot smaller then my 12hh!

This pony is smaller than that and going by the pic doesnt look strong

AMW

Visit site
Im 5'4 , weigh over 10 stone and ride my 13hh sect C.
I think you need to see someone on them to see how they look and also to assess how the pony goes. 5'3 might be a bit tall for a sect A though to ride it on a regular basis.
You just need to watch ridden m&m classes to see plenty adults on what would be termed child sized ponies.

Native Lover

Visit site
I dont think your pony looks strong in his pic Native Lover, he has a dipped back. I wouldnt put an adult on him and would question why an adult would want to ride an 11H pony!

I am trying to remain calm here. Are you trying to wind me up or what?

Long before Shetlands and Welsh section A's were fashionable childrens ponies for the showring.

They had a real job to do carrying shepherds up the mountains to tend there sheep.

asbo

Visit site
Just finding a few photos for you of my sec A,shes a bit fat in them as she had help getting out of restricted grazing but you will get the idea.

MuesliMoo

Visit site

I often question why people want to ride 17.2h horses.

OP - I think the best bet is to meet the lady, see how she gets on with your pony and go with your gut instinct. At 5'5 and 9stone I used to take an 11.3h native pony round our xcountry course and do rather well!

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
I am trying to remain calm here. Are you trying to wind me up or what?

Long before Shetlands and Welsh section A's were fashionable childrens ponies for the showring.

They had a real job to do carrying shepherds up the mountains to tend there sheep.

Yes i have heard those kinds of storys before. i have also heard of people riding pigs but that doesnt make me want to jump on the back of one!

11H is bl**dy tiny! I think if they weigh over 6 stone it is too much. I am all for not running ponies into the ground but maybe thats just me. 5ft 3 is quite tall for 11H, their feet will be on the ground :eek:

AMW

Visit site
Mueslimoo, I so agree with you. I have a personal rule, if I cant see over their backs then they are too big for me. I dont like big horses, to handle, ride or feed, give me a pony any day :)

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
I often question why people want to ride 17.2h horses.

OP - I think the best bet is to meet the lady, see how she gets on with your pony and go with your gut instinct. At 5'5 and 9stone I used to take an 11.3h native pony round our xcountry course and do rather well!

Ah but that is a different question entirely. A 17.2 is not really going to struggle holding weight (unless morbidley obese of course) how ever the persons riding skills would be questioned more as obviously that is a lot of horse, where as an adult wanting to ride on a 11H pony in my opinion would only want to do so if they were scared of proper horses. Which actually answers my first question.

asbo

Visit site

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Mueslimoo, I so agree with you. I have a personal rule, if I cant see over their backs then they are too big for me. I dont like big horses, to handle, ride or feed, give me a pony any day :)

My point exactly! Why dont you like riding big horses or feeding them or handling them?

Merry Crisis

Visit site
I have lived many years in Wales before I moved north. The old fashioned stamp of Sec A really doesnt resemble the pony in the pic, this pony has no depth of body and not a lot of bone. The old fashioned ponies from the Beacons were very stocky and the fact that they carried farmers is something that they might have managed to do for short periods of time, but I dont think for a welfare situation would be recommended.

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
quite simply because i dont, I have done but prefer the look, character & size of a pony

I do not want to offend but this spells unconfident to me. I understand that we all have confidence issues but that wouldnt make me want to sit on a small pony!

As meery crisis said, that pony is small!

Native lover why the need to staty calm. You did ask what we thought of an adult riding your pony, i gave you my thoughts.........

Native Lover

Visit site

Lovely photos, thankyou for taking the time to add them to this thread :)
I am not trying to cause trouble. I just want a rough guide to what he could carry. I know it all depends on him he an individual. I have my own reasons for wanting an adult rider for him.

One being he is in a field with 6 other horses and I don't want the responsibility of supervising a child where as a small adult could come and go as they please.

I was merely wanting a guide weight for him. I have a lady who is comming to meet him. If she proves to heavy to ride him. We are going to look at breaking him to drive.

rhino

Visit site
I'm just under 8st and riding a Welsh A at the moment, however it is a much stockier type than in the OP's pic. At my weight and 5'3" I feel far too big, but the pony has been very difficult for his young owner. I have done a fair bit of groundwork and longreining and will only ride for about 5 mins max, walk and trot. Aim is to get her going well enough to give back to owner full time as soon as possible and will happily never ride anything so small again!

MuesliMoo

Visit site
I do not want to offend but this spells unconfident to me. I understand that we all have confidence issues but that wouldnt make me want to sit on a small pony!

And what does it matter if someone is more confident on a pony than a horse? If the pony can happily take the adult then what's the issue? I can understand if there is a weight issue, but most native ponies can carry a lot more weight for their height than horses can.

Bridie&theMinis

Visit site
My personal opinion in this instance is that this pony doesn't look substantial enough for someone of 5ft 3' (even though we dont know her weight) to have as her regular riding mount.
I bought a 12h sec A years ago for my sister who was 8 at the time and had her for a couple of years before she moved onto a bigger pony. But my point is that I got on ours v. occasionally (e.g. if she was being cheeky or to try something out before my sister did) but wouldn't have entertained the thought of riding her more frequently as they are quite slight in build and I would have worried about damaging her back. Your pony looks even slightly than Chloe was so would be dubious to say the least.
Weight wise I would say 6 - 6.5stone. Good luck though with finding a suitable rider whatever you decide is appropriate.

ponyride.jpg

Last edited:

MuesliMoo

Visit site
250295_202889779748709_100000830668409_463317_2272765_n.jpg
Far too big on her, but weight wise not an issue, she flew round the course leading a friend on her 15.2h TB :D

Sorry OP this is getting a bit off topic now, I shall stop!

Lolo

Visit site
Have you contacted your local PC? A lot of the PC girls who are about 11 are stick thin but very competent (and will have parental supervision!). I wouldn't be happy putting much beyond 7 stone on a proper welsh A and 6 stone on the skinny little ones you get now for more than 10 minutes at a time...