Weight for adult riding a sec A

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
My personal opinion in this instance is that this pony doesn't look substantial enough for someone of 5ft 3' (even though we dont know her weight) to have as her regular riding mount.
I bought a 12h sec A years ago for my sister who was 8 at the time and had her for a couple of years before she moved onto a bigger pony. But my point is that I got on ours v. occasionally (e.g. if she was being cheeky or to try something out before my sister did) but wouldn't have entertained the thought of riding her more frequently as they are quite slight in build and I would have worried about damaging her back. Your pony looks even slightly than Chloe was so would be dubious to say the least.
Weight wise I would say 6 - 6.5stone. Good luck though with finding a suitable rider whatever you decide is appropriate.

ponyride.jpg

Exactly.

rhino

Visit site
Ah but that is a different question entirely. A 17.2 is not really going to struggle holding weight (unless morbidley obese of course) how ever the persons riding skills would be questioned more as obviously that is a lot of horse, where as an adult wanting to ride on a 11H pony in my opinion would only want to do so if they were scared of proper horses. Which actually answers my first question.

Yes, because all ponies are perfectly behaved and all horses need confident, experienced riders :rolleyes: You really have no clue! Some of the most difficult 'horses' I've had for schooling have been ponies; it's nice to get back to my big warmblood as he is a doddle! :D

asbo

Visit site
at the end of the day when the person comes to try your pony you will know, i know a fair few little uns who have adults riding them full time and have back/saddle checks done often as saddles can be an issue as well, these ponies are not the type to stand by and take it,they let you know when they arent happy,the photos of my oldest is the last time she sat on fizz as fizz was not happy lol.
good luck and let us know how it goes x

Native Lover

Visit site
250295_202889779748709_100000830668409_463317_2272765_n.jpg
Far too big on her, but weight wise not an issue, she flew round the course leading a friend on her 15.2h TB :D

Sorry OP this is getting a bit off topic now, I shall stop!

Great photo :0) Hes a cracking jumper.

I just want this pony hacked for excercise though. I have no problem with teens riding him but they all want to ride the big TB and warmbloods these days. I just don't want the responsibility of young children ie lead rien/first ridden types.

Native Lover

Visit site
Heres a photo for you to consider my 14 year old hacking our 9.2 hh Shetland

She is about 5 ft 1 she weighs about 6 stone on a good day, unfortunately she only visit in the school holidays.

user28811_pic32066_1272637728.jpg

Dolcé

Visit site
My daughter weighs between 8.5 and 9st depending on the time of year and is 5'6, she will show our 11hh Section A stallion under saddle, in fact that is the only reason he will be kept entire, so that she can. 'Proper' Section A's are well capable of carrying up to 10st, certainly for a short period of time, if not longer. A child could not show a stallion ridden and so he would only ever be able to be shown in hand if he remains entire and daughter doesn't ride him and if cut then his showing career would be over, that would just be a waste!

Lots of adults ride ponies TOD, I personally prefer ponies to horses because of personalities but find horses are often far easier to handle than the ponies, both on the ground and ridden. I ride 16-17hh because all our horses range between the two, I do sometimes hop on the 13.2 haffy though and she gives a totally different riding experience, far more fun. Her girth takes up my leg and so I don't look big on her at 5'6 and she is more than capable of carrying my weight (although I wouldn't dream of getting on one of the welshies!)

SarahRicoh

Visit site
I think that over 7stone would be to heavy for your little guy but saying that the fitter/more muscled the pony is the easier they can carry weight so take that into consideration.

Trot_on£dressage

SarahRicoh

Visit site
*cont

T_o_d- i think thats ridiculous saying only reason adults ride ponies is because of confidence issues. I am 5ft5 and between 9.5-10st and i have a 14.3hh ish. I am slightly tall on him but no way too heavy and no child would ever be able to ride him. This is the case for many ponies. Theyre too much for kids so adults ride them. Plus for adults who wan to hack around ponies are easier and cheaper to keep, you can get on/off easier,easier to lead a child from a pony than a massive 17hh and as other people have said some people prefer ponies. I know id rather havea pony any day!!

Karran

Visit site
I'm 5'3" and I prefer ponies as I can bounce up without needing to look for a mounting block as I struggle to haul myself onto something taller! :)

Native Lover

Visit site
My daughter weighs between 8.5 and 9st depending on the time of year and is 5'6, she will show our 11hh Section A stallion under saddle, in fact that is the only reason he will be kept entire, so that she can. 'Proper' Section A's are well capable of carrying up to 10st, certainly for a short period of time, if not longer. A child could not show a stallion ridden and so he would only ever be able to be shown in hand if he remains entire and daughter doesn't ride him and if cut then his showing career would be over, that would just be a waste!

Lots of adults ride ponies TOD, I personally prefer ponies to horses because of personalities but find horses are often far easier to handle than the ponies, both on the ground and ridden. I ride 16-17hh because all our horses range between the two, I do sometimes hop on the 13.2 haffy though and she gives a totally different riding experience, far more fun. Her girth takes up my leg and so I don't look big on her at 5'6 and she is more than capable of carrying my weight (although I wouldn't dream of getting on one of the welshies!)

Thank you for replying, I would have thought about 7- 9 stone for him to carry for gentle hacking. But as others have said I shall have to wait and see what his re action will be. How big a saddle he can take etc.

Surely though it is much better for him to be ridden than left in a field to grow fat and get laminitis and such. They lady is quite happy to spend time long riening and lunging him so he is fit before she rides him. If she is to big to ride we have discussed getting him broken to drive.

I got given him, I said yes to stop him ending up in the sales. He is such a good boy to handle on the ground. I want him to have a one to one relationship with someone who will enjoy him more than anything

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Wowwwwwwww rewind a little bit, My husband learnt to ride as an adult and I always teased him he would never be a good rider as he didn't learn on ponies, and he even agrees now as an experienced hunter, its the smaller horses that can get him off!! Ponies teach us how to ride and stay on when they spin and muck around, horses imo are much more straight forward and easier to stay on etc.

So the remark about ponies and confidence issues is total rubbish, ponies rock!!

winkles

Visit site
I have no problem with teens riding him but they all want to ride the big TB and warmbloods these days.

I think that's a little bit unfair to say. Not all teenagers are obsessed with the larger breeds, just as not all adults are. I'm sure plenty of younger-yet-competent people would be interested given the opportunity :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Fair enough, but I think that 1 reply is probably more reflective of the lack of sharers in your area than of which breeds the teenage demographic prefer ;)

I doubt that very much! Most young teens round here are hankering for 16hh horse and wouldn't be seen dead choosing to ride an 11hh Welsh.

My own little Welsh A has an attitude problem at over 8 stone.

Kenzo

Visit site
It's not just a weight issue, you need a saddle that fits both the pony and the rider, which is why the rider would have be small if you think about how a saddle works, I can't imagine an adult in the size of saddle your pony would require unless they were very short and very very slim with a very tiny bottom!....that said, they are out there, nothing against adults on ponies as some of these little Welsh ponies are too dam wick and strong for a child to ride.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am trying to remain calm here. Are you trying to wind me up or what?

Long before Shetlands and Welsh section A's were fashionable childrens ponies for the showring.

They had a real job to do carrying shepherds up the mountains to tend there sheep.

Yes, that is quite true, and we used to send children up chimneys too...

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
quite simply because i dont, I have done but prefer the look, character & size of a pony

Glad it's not just me. I've nothing against horses but I much prefer ponies, always have done.

I've got myself a gorgeous Sec C. I've two kids who can move on to him when they have outgrown their Sec A so he'll be a real family pony.

team barney

Visit site
I wouldn't advise putting more than a absolute maximum of 6.5 stone -including all tack as well as the rider - on your pony. From the photo shown he is very weak through the back, he is not built for weight carrying, his conformation is simply not up to it. I wouldn't put more than 5 stone on him if he were mine, but he could probably be pushed to carry the 6.5 (including tack) if necessary. At that weight though any schooling would be done strictly out hacking, no school work whatsoever.

Whatever you decide please don't put a large saddle on him (he looks like he would struggle to fit even a 14" saddle), with that back you will do him untold harm (back problems don't tend to stay only in the back the progress through their legs, feet and entire bodies).

If you want to keep him fit there are other ways of going about it. Either long rein him, break him to harness and drive him or have a child ride him, pony squashing is not the answer.

A stocky upto height Welsh A with good conformation can take an adult rider of up to 8.5 stone (including tack), but the pony pictured couldn't, he has neither the substance or the conformation to cope with such weight.

Clodagh

Visit site
The often repeated line of 'They used to carry shepherds up the hills' well, can you imagine how much your average welsh sheep farmer weighed at the beginning of the 1900s? 9 stone was probably it, they would not be great big men of 20 stone, so the whole line is a complete waste of space!

On the other point, I always say children should learn to ride on horses because they are so much easier than ponies, ponies were not designed for children at all, quick thinking, clever and on the ball, whereas a 18hh warmblood probably struggles to remember how to put one hoof in front of the other (I exaggerate a little perhaps)...ponies are generally much harder work than horses IMO.

team barney

Visit site
Don't follow the ignorant belief that an equine can carry a stone per hand, it is a ridiculous fallacy and whoever still repeats it really needs their sense questioned.

No one who gave a damn about their horse's welfare would put an 8 stone rider on a 32 inch pony after all.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Don't follow the ignorant belief that an equine can carry a stone per hand, it is a ridiculous fallacy and whoever still repeats it really needs their sense questioned.

No one who gave a damn about their horse's welfare would put an 8 stone rider on a 32 inch pony after all.

Exactly! Well said. I find it really annoying when people spout this kind of rubbish just because it's been passed down from other people who are equally as ignorant.

Last edited:

Dizzle

Visit site
I doubt that very much! Most young teens round here are hankering for 16hh horse and wouldn't be seen dead choosing to ride an 11hh Welsh.

My own little Welsh A has an attitude problem at over 8 stone.

Up until I was 17 (I'm 5ft 8 and would have weighed about 7 stone)I had a 12.2hh Welsh B possibly the most fun I've ever had, he was a cheeky scamp but safe as houses (by safe as houses I mean he didn't gallop off after bucking me off so I could hop back on and finish the gallop! :D)

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
If I remember correctly I thought the Pony Club used to say 8 st was the max for a 12.2. I think the rule came in around Prince Phillip games.

I rode our 13hh Sec B when I was about 9 st but only for short periods - usually after he'd been naughtly with daughter!

11 hh I would say about 6 stone.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm an adult who rides an Exmoor occasionally but I wouldn't get on the equivalent sized Section A. OP, as mentioned its saddle fit as well as weight of rider with tack although of course, there are some great pony synthetic saddles available. I would be wary of putting much on that pony -it's also difficult for small ponies to balance if the rider is comparatively tall in the body.

I much prefer ponies to handle and ride than horses- many horses are just too thick. back in olden days (ie the 70s/80s) a 17h horse was a rarity unless you were a big bloke that wanted a hunter. most of us got by on 16hs and natives although mostly people weighed less too. there was a saying to 'never buy what you can't see over'. I have no interest in massively overhorsing myself on some huge warmblood who needs pampering to the nth degree.

maybe some of you could be reading the likes of Deb Bennett and what she has to say about big horses and soundness.