Weights and heights of your heavies

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Because I'm nosey (and a little bit bored!!) tell me the weight and height of your big lads and lasses?
I'm constantly paranoid about Hovis' weight because I'm surrounded by TBs and WBs and their owners who think anything over 500kg is obese!
My very lovely and very patient vet gets fed up of me asking if his weight is ok!
So what do your gorgeous big / feathery / well muscled BFGs measure in at?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Sorry, I have no idea, but just be very careful that Hovis does not reply, under a new login persona with something ridiculous ie ''1000kg sounds about right to me''. You know what a whizz he is with the 'puter!! :)

DuckToller

Visit site
Just because no-one else has replied I can give you my warmblood's weight as a comparison if that helps!

He is a chunky dutch warmblood, 16.1, and the weightape puts him at 570kg which I thought was quite heavy. My 16hh tb x hannovarian is also 570kg, which is probably too heavy for his type, although he isn't obese, and it shows you can't tell by eye.

So tell us, what is Hovis?

kateknights

Visit site
Hi, my chunk a monk is 15.1hh with 10 inches of bone and when his weight is right and he looks good like he does at the mo he is approx 520kgs, he is just 5 yrs am hoping he won't grow much more!. Am just waiting for some pics to come through of our show yesterday so I can do a Proust mummy post.
Kate x

kateknights

Visit site
Hi, my chunk a monk is 15.1hh with 10 inches of bone and when his weight is right and he looks good like he does at the mo he is approx 520kgs, he is just 5 yrs am hoping he won't grow much more!. Am just waiting for some pics to come through of our show yesterday so I can do a Proud mummy post.
Kate x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My Westphalian 'Kaltblut' (looks like an Ardennes) is 16hh and atm is actually off the weights on our tape. She is on a diet. When we measured her in Feb for the 1st time she measured 226cm, we estimated this to be about 800kg. She is now down to 213cm, with I must admit, a bit of fluctuation here and there, when the grass takes us by surprise and grows.
She is still too heavy, I can't feel a rib but I thin that 603kg, which is the heaviest the tape goes to might be too light. Her weight-loss is a long-term project.
The IDx (16.3) that we lost recently weighed 560kg at her heaviest but was better at 532kg.
My Clydies were both about 600kg and both about 17.0hh.
I do think that condition scoring is the best way to tell if a 'heavy' horse is the right weight although weight-tapes are good for weekly monitoring.

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Hovis is just creeping over 16.2HH and fluctuates between 575 and 590kg depending on weather / grass and work load. I'd have a fit if he went over 600kg on the tape. I keep meaning to take him to a weigh bridge to see how much he really weighs as other liveries are insistant he must weigh more than he does!

katherine1975

Visit site
We had no idea how much Kelsi weighed until her recent visit to the vets as she has always been off the weigh tape scale. Had a shock when we discovered that she is 730kg! She is 15.3hh with 9 inches of bone.
pictures004.jpg

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
We had no idea how much Kelsi weighed until her recent visit to the vets as she has always been off the weigh tape scale. Had a shock when we discovered that she is 730kg! She is 15.3hh with 9 inches of bone.
pictures004.jpg

Shes lush! And i would NEVER have put her at that weight. I have a feeling that the Destroyer is far far heavier than i think he is. Although he's deceptive - one of the horses at the yard had her saddle done on tues the same time as Hovis and her back is far far wider than his.
My vet is happy with Hovis' size but i still fret sometimes!

JLD

Visit site
MY IDXTBXcob is 16.3 and weighs 620-640 kg on tape. less than 620 he looks underweight and more than 640 he looks fat at 650 he wobbles on his tummy but still looks ok rump and crest - do horses come in apple shape ?? ! He sneaks it on very quietly on fresh air so I weigh tape him about once a month. He is a traditional old fashioned middle weight hunter build although doesnt have as much bone as you would think. if he was around 500kg I would expect to be called by the RSPCA. If he looks good - he is fine.

Alphamare

Visit site
15hh chunky cob who could do with losing a little weight but is by no means obese weighs in at 580kgs. i would like him to lose maybe 50kgs max

My Flemish horse (old type of draft horse) is still growing (16'1 currently) and at 4 is a little flabby as he is not yet ridden. He weight taped in at somewhere just over 600kgs (no muscle, i cant remember the exact weight) he looks set to make about 17hh so im guessing the weight may go up still.

My 16'2 punch was about 800kgs at last weight tape and is looking about right after coming out of winter looking far too thin.

smudge99

Visit site
My 18hh wbxshire is around 710 he was 740 and I think 760 at his heaviest when I got him, he is on a diet again and has lost some but a bit more to go but not much.

Liz

Clarence09

Visit site
We have just had Dengie out to do a diet clinic on our yard, they brought along their weighbridge and I was amazed that one of the big draught horses on the yard weighed 770kg on the weighbridge but was estimated at 689kg on the weightape!

sam19

New User
Visit site
the horse I have been loaning is 16hh shirexcob when weighed with weightape he came out at 656kg but on the bridge he is 745kg he is about right for his size but goes to show that the weightape isn't always right and it doesn't take into acount how heavy is hooves and shoes are.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
My 18h.1" pure Shire mare is dosed at 950kgs. My 17h.2" pure Shire mare is dosed at 850kgs. My 17h pure Shire mare is dosed at 820kgs. My late 17h.3" pure Clyde gelding was dosed at 950kgs. My two 2 year old pure Shire geldings are dosed at 770kgs, now.

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
We've just been saying the same thing at the yard tonight.
One of the horses is 520Kg on a weigh tape and was over 600kg at the vets today.
Think we need a serious trip to a weightbridge for the whole yard! *Gulp*
Scary just how inaccurate the tapes are - 10% or so you could expect but a whole +80kg out?!

superted1989

Visit site
Markie came in at 620kg when I got him, according to one weightape. He'd been out of work for a year and is a very good doer. He's now been in work for 3.5 months, is fairly fit and has half a bucket of fresh air to eat! It's coming up to worming time, so, duly purchased my own weightape and it said 640kg! His girth now does up an extra hole each side and I can easily feel rib and hip wih the flat of my hand. My 'eye' would have guessed at around 575kg............
MarkieHuntshow008.jpg

He's 15hh

Lotty

Visit site
My mare is a 16.1hh half dutch warmblood/quarter TB/quarter welsh D. She was weighed on the weighbridge and came out at 485kgs.

dafthoss

Visit site
When I worked with some heavies the one that went to horspital for an op was 997kg although he was not a slender as hovis and had been out of work waiting for his op.

dixie

Visit site
Jack is 17hh IDxTB. Weighs about 685 with the tape but recently weighed him on a Dengie weighbridge and he was 710 with a fat score of 3.5.

JackatTotnesShow.jpg

Last edited:

tobysg

Visit site
I would not trust a weight tape as an accurate measurement. I don't use one but reading descriptions and weights that have come out from a tape here makes mine sound rather odd.

I put my 15.1 Welsh cob on a weigh bridge with a Spillers feed rep. and she came out at 580kg.

My horse is not obese and the feed rep ( and a vet has also said the same) was happy with her body condition and said that seeing her iliac crests showed that ,despite being well built, she was in fact in good condition.
She is a good doer and is not fed anything, she is muzzled whilst grazing and ridden 6 times a week and RC competition fit so not much else one can do! :)

Last edited:

Jesstickle

Visit site
weigh tapes are (and are only advertised as) a way of monitoring change and getting a ball park figure. They are not supposed to be accurate!

There are some absolutely gorgeous heavies on this thread. Am really enjoying your pics. I have TBs but I do love to gawp at people's beautiful big horses from time to time!

**Vanner**

Visit site
We've just been saying the same thing at the yard tonight.
One of the horses is 520Kg on a weigh tape and was over 600kg at the vets today.
Think we need a serious trip to a weightbridge for the whole yard! *Gulp*
Scary just how inaccurate the tapes are - 10% or so you could expect but a whole +80kg out?!

Too true they are inaccurate!

My boy is 15hh with 11'' of bone.

He weighs 590kg on weightape but was 650kg on the vets scales today! (10% out i suppose)

Last edited:

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
This is Mac. 16'1 3/4 Suffolk Punch. I don't know how much he weighs, will see if I can get him weighed at some point, but he is a good doer and can live off fresh air. He is arthritic, so have worked hard to get his weight down to help his joints.

Last Summer
19042010011.jpg

This Summer
DSC00154.jpg

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Wow Theresa you've done a great job with him - he looks SO much better!
There are some gorgeous beasties on here.

I know from the tape when Hovis is going up or down which helps me manage his intake but to find out they are as far out as some are for me raises questions re worming. Not everyone has access to a weigh bridge and if tapes are THAT far wrong how on earth to people know what to dose wormers at? I appreciate they are not sold as 100% accurate but so many yards use the tapes for worming programmes probably assuming they are "near enough".

Hovis and his friends are being trooped to the weight bridge they've put in at the tractor bay down at the other farm to take a look. I'll post results when its been done out of interest! Yikes :(

PS: Assuming i can get Hovis past the tractors to go to the weigh bridge!! :D