Weird lines on side

scats

A few weeks ago, I noticed Millie had developed these strange lines on her sides. She was clipped about 5 weeks ago and I don’t think it was anything to do with that as they didn’t come up straight away.
She’s been naked pretty much since being clipped, aside from a rain sheet in wet/wind combinations (maybe 2 days in last 5 weeks?). There’s nothing to rub on in the stable and I’ve not noticed her rubbing in the field.
You can’t feel the lines. When you run your hand over them they just feel normal and flat. It’s literally the hair that has raised, rather than the skin. They appeared before her new saddle was fitted, so can’t be that, plus I’ve only ridden in it once since. They actually aren’t even under the saddle area, but I’m trying to think of any possibility. I’ve not ridden in any new boots or washed any of her things in anything.
She did move fields a few weeks ago, perhaps around the same time they appeared though I can’t actually properly remember. It’s a field she uses regularly, albeit had a few months break.

A FB browse has had a few people mentioning these as fascia lines relating to some sort of pain. She is sound, seems absolutely fine in herself, not girthy or sore to touch, nor does she appear at all stressed. She is just normal Millie.
The only thing I am considering is that perhaps she is inwardly a little stressed due to being on a diet (you wouldn’t know to look at her…)

She has weighed hay and a muzzle in the day on good grass. I’m aware that she will probably be standing for a good few hours at night with no hay but I give her chopped straw and she doesn’t touch it.
Stress perhaps from the diet? Or something in the field?

Not great pictures but you can sort of see what I mean.
2DE177DB-C0F1-4A1F-A652-FD64D9741431.jpeg
52EEFBD4-0E5B-475A-B0EA-13A66FBA0E04.jpeg
Apologies that pictures have turned round but you can see what I mean. Almost identical place on both sides, like a rug rub but she isn’t wearing one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

scats

Just to add aswell that it is unseasonably warm and she’s a very hot horse who sweats easily, hence no rug since clipping. She’s stabled in a barn that is around 2degrees warmer inside than outside and I have been checking regularly that she isn’t cold. She’s never tucked up or shivery, her coat everywhere else is lovely and flat and she feels nice and warm to touch, so I don’t think it’s a cold problem (just incase anyone thinks I’m cruel for not rugging her with a blanket clip!)

Elf On A Shelf

Scrunched up hair from when she is laying down? But given that most horses go down on one side more than the other they wouldn't be even on both sides.

scats

Do they come up and down or are they the same all the time?
They stay the same all the time.

Scrunched up hair from when she is laying down? But given that most horses go down on one side more than the other they wouldn't be even on both sides.
I thought that at first, as she does lie down a lot, but it’s weird that they are equal both sides.

GoldenWillow

Very possibly a daft thought of mine but could the clippers have caught that section of hair differently and as it's grown it's become more apparent.

If it was heat or something external causing it would that not make it likely to change over the course of a day?

Just wondered as on J's sides I find one bit hard to clip well due to the way the hair grows.

Tiddlypom

My senior mare gets these sometimes, and the IDx mare had them temporarily a few weeks ago.

No idea what they are. The horses showed no signs of discomfort or in any way being unwell.

They are both PPID mares, which I hope is not relevant to your case, scats.

I had wondered if they were somehow related to old long grown out clip lines, as they are so regular.

ycbm

I think you jump and started doing more of that this year? Do your legs swing back a bit? The lines are exactly where I would expect from a bit of a swoop from a boot and maybe she has sensitive skin?

scats

I think you jump and started doing more of that this year? Do your legs swing back a bit? The lines are exactly where I would expect from a bit of a swoop from a boot and maybe she has sensitive skin?
I only pop logs out hacking really and haven’t jumped anything since around August.
I did wonder if it was from my boots but we’ve mostly done walking hacks for the last 6 or so weeks so I’ve not really had to use any leg at all and they are further back than where my leg sits.

My senior mare gets these sometimes, and the IDx mare had them temporarily a few weeks ago.

No idea what they are. The horses showed no signs of discomfort or in any way being unwell.

They are both PPID mares, which I hope is not relevant to your case, scats.

I had wondered if they were somehow related to old long grown out clip lines, as they are so regular.
I wonder if it’s a metabolic thing? I treat her like she has EMS, even though she’s never been tested, but she’s a good doer and prone to weight issues even when on a very restricted diet.

SEL

My draft gets lines just like this on his bottom when he isn't moving around much. A bodyworker thought they might be fascia as a result of his lymph system being a big sluggish. He's got his double winter coat coming through and has rolled in the mud so it's hard to tell if they're still there, but I have started spreading the hay in the field to encourage a bit more movement. Could yours be getting a bit tucked up at times?

scats

My draft gets lines just like this on his bottom when he isn't moving around much. A bodyworker thought they might be fascia as a result of his lymph system being a big sluggish. He's got his double winter coat coming through and has rolled in the mud so it's hard to tell if they're still there, but I have started spreading the hay in the field to encourage a bit more movement. Could yours be getting a bit tucked up at times?
I don’t think I’ve ever seen her tucked up to be honest. She’s an odd shape in general- her body is really deep. I can’t even imagine how she would look tucked up, very odd I suspect.
Lines are still there today, just as prominent.

Oh, interesting! Our retired heavy weight gelding gets these. They look exactly the same, except on the lower barrel area, behind the girth. Only on his near side. He isn't rugged, clipped or ridden. I always assumed they were from laying down, so maybe not. He was retired due to nearside, hindlimb lameness. Wondering if it is connected now reading your replies.