Weird lines on side

scats

Visit site
A few weeks ago, I noticed Millie had developed these strange lines on her sides. She was clipped about 5 weeks ago and I don’t think it was anything to do with that as they didn’t come up straight away.
She’s been naked pretty much since being clipped, aside from a rain sheet in wet/wind combinations (maybe 2 days in last 5 weeks?). There’s nothing to rub on in the stable and I’ve not noticed her rubbing in the field.
You can’t feel the lines. When you run your hand over them they just feel normal and flat. It’s literally the hair that has raised, rather than the skin. They appeared before her new saddle was fitted, so can’t be that, plus I’ve only ridden in it once since. They actually aren’t even under the saddle area, but I’m trying to think of any possibility. I’ve not ridden in any new boots or washed any of her things in anything.
She did move fields a few weeks ago, perhaps around the same time they appeared though I can’t actually properly remember. It’s a field she uses regularly, albeit had a few months break.

A FB browse has had a few people mentioning these as fascia lines relating to some sort of pain. She is sound, seems absolutely fine in herself, not girthy or sore to touch, nor does she appear at all stressed. She is just normal Millie.
The only thing I am considering is that perhaps she is inwardly a little stressed due to being on a diet (you wouldn’t know to look at her…)

She has weighed hay and a muzzle in the day on good grass. I’m aware that she will probably be standing for a good few hours at night with no hay but I give her chopped straw and she doesn’t touch it.
Stress perhaps from the diet? Or something in the field?

Not great pictures but you can sort of see what I mean.
2DE177DB-C0F1-4A1F-A652-FD64D9741431.jpeg
52EEFBD4-0E5B-475A-B0EA-13A66FBA0E04.jpeg
Apologies that pictures have turned round but you can see what I mean. Almost identical place on both sides, like a rug rub but she isn’t wearing one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

scats

Visit site
Just to add aswell that it is unseasonably warm and she’s a very hot horse who sweats easily, hence no rug since clipping. She’s stabled in a barn that is around 2degrees warmer inside than outside and I have been checking regularly that she isn’t cold. She’s never tucked up or shivery, her coat everywhere else is lovely and flat and she feels nice and warm to touch, so I don’t think it’s a cold problem (just incase anyone thinks I’m cruel for not rugging her with a blanket clip!)

scats

Visit site
Do they come up and down or are they the same all the time?

They stay the same all the time.

Scrunched up hair from when she is laying down? But given that most horses go down on one side more than the other they wouldn't be even on both sides.

I thought that at first, as she does lie down a lot, but it’s weird that they are equal both sides.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Very possibly a daft thought of mine but could the clippers have caught that section of hair differently and as it's grown it's become more apparent.

If it was heat or something external causing it would that not make it likely to change over the course of a day?

Just wondered as on J's sides I find one bit hard to clip well due to the way the hair grows.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My senior mare gets these sometimes, and the IDx mare had them temporarily a few weeks ago.

No idea what they are. The horses showed no signs of discomfort or in any way being unwell.

They are both PPID mares, which I hope is not relevant to your case, scats.

I had wondered if they were somehow related to old long grown out clip lines, as they are so regular.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think you jump and started doing more of that this year? Do your legs swing back a bit? The lines are exactly where I would expect from a bit of a swoop from a boot and maybe she has sensitive skin?

scats

Visit site
I think you jump and started doing more of that this year? Do your legs swing back a bit? The lines are exactly where I would expect from a bit of a swoop from a boot and maybe she has sensitive skin?

I only pop logs out hacking really and haven’t jumped anything since around August.
I did wonder if it was from my boots but we’ve mostly done walking hacks for the last 6 or so weeks so I’ve not really had to use any leg at all and they are further back than where my leg sits.

My senior mare gets these sometimes, and the IDx mare had them temporarily a few weeks ago.

No idea what they are. The horses showed no signs of discomfort or in any way being unwell.

They are both PPID mares, which I hope is not relevant to your case, scats.

I had wondered if they were somehow related to old long grown out clip lines, as they are so regular.

I wonder if it’s a metabolic thing? I treat her like she has EMS, even though she’s never been tested, but she’s a good doer and prone to weight issues even when on a very restricted diet.

SEL

Visit site
My draft gets lines just like this on his bottom when he isn't moving around much. A bodyworker thought they might be fascia as a result of his lymph system being a big sluggish. He's got his double winter coat coming through and has rolled in the mud so it's hard to tell if they're still there, but I have started spreading the hay in the field to encourage a bit more movement. Could yours be getting a bit tucked up at times?

scats

Visit site
My draft gets lines just like this on his bottom when he isn't moving around much. A bodyworker thought they might be fascia as a result of his lymph system being a big sluggish. He's got his double winter coat coming through and has rolled in the mud so it's hard to tell if they're still there, but I have started spreading the hay in the field to encourage a bit more movement. Could yours be getting a bit tucked up at times?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen her tucked up to be honest. She’s an odd shape in general- her body is really deep. I can’t even imagine how she would look tucked up, very odd I suspect.
Lines are still there today, just as prominent.

Cherisheddust

Visit site
Oh, interesting! Our retired heavy weight gelding gets these. They look exactly the same, except on the lower barrel area, behind the girth. Only on his near side. He isn't rugged, clipped or ridden. I always assumed they were from laying down, so maybe not. He was retired due to nearside, hindlimb lameness. Wondering if it is connected now reading your replies.

scats

Visit site
I’m resurrecting this thread because the lines are back. They did eventually disappear over the winter, but returned about 4 weeks ago.
Vet Chiro is coming next Tuesday so I’m going to pick her brains about them.
Lines are in exactly the same place, both sides. Horse hasn’t worn rug for a while. If you touch the lines, you can’t feel them. So the hair doesn’t feel ruffled at all. Weird!

Birker2020

Visit site
I was wondering if it was something like a low hanging or protruding branch that she is either catching herself on or deliberately rubbing against it to ease an itch.

I once found my first horse with a large but superficial scratch/cut from his wither to his shoulder. I eventually found the offending item, a branch of a tree that had sheared off to become a sharp point which he must have caught himself on.

scats

Visit site
I was wondering if it was something like a low hanging or protruding branch that she is either catching herself on or deliberately rubbing against it to ease an itch.

I once found my first horse with a large but superficial scratch/cut from his wither to his shoulder. I eventually found the offending item, a branch of a tree that had sheared off to become a sharp point which he must have caught himself on.

Thing is, it’s both sides, completely identical place. The hair isn’t ruffled like she has disturbed the hair. You can see the lines but you run your hand over them and it feels like smooth hair. I’m positive that she isn’t causing it by rubbing on anything. If she is, then she’s doing it equally on both sides and in a way that the hair looks lined but doesn’t feel lined (if that makes sense). They are also kind of under the widest point/curve of her body, as it moves down to her underside, so not the part of her belly that is sticking out that you’d expect her to scratch or get caught on.

I’ll get some updated pictures tonight.

scats

Visit site
I'd put money on fascia, I can't see what else it could possibly be. Fascia is amazing stuff.

That’s my thinking too. I can find a lot about fascia in horses, but struggling to find any examples of a horse showing these lines.

Now I’ve got to figure out what is causing it/what I’m doing wrong for it to recur. I’m wracking my brain to try and find any links from back in the autumn and now, but can’t think of anything.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
That’s my thinking too. I can find a lot about fascia in horses, but struggling to find any examples of a horse showing these lines.

Now I’ve got to figure out what is causing it/what I’m doing wrong for it to recur. I’m wracking my brain to try and find any links from back in the autumn and now, but can’t think of anything.

I've seen similar on the neck, can't remember the details.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use a cranial sacro therapist she also does shiatsu and laser acupuncture and my horse gets weird lines in places afterwards so it probably is fascia.

scats

Visit site
Little update on the lines. Vet Chiro came out yesterday for Millie’s check. I had a couple of niggles that Millie wasn’t pushing as much in things like the medium trot and I felt I was asking and not getting what she would normally offer. She had remained enthusiastic and keen to hack so I had kept her schoolwork to a minimum for the last few weeks and pretty much just hacked out.
Vet Chiro agrees that on a circle she’s not quite pushing through as much with the left hind and in the canter she was trying to keep her back quite still. Her back was tighter than normal so this may explain the fascia lines.
So just on the safe side, Mark Andrews is coming out in a few weeks time to have a look at her. I’d rather jump on this niggle now, than leave it and potentially have a bigger problem further down the line.
Vet Chiro has told me to carry on hacking as normal, but to avoid schooling until Mark has had a look. It will be interesting to monitor how these lines progress, anyway!

scats

Visit site
I thought I’d update this. The lines remained until week 5 after her arthramid injections for coffin joint arthritis. I noticed at the end of that week that the lines has seemingly vanished, so it does appear they may have been a sign of pain/discomfort.

It’s quite useful to have a little sign to look out for!