Welcome, Hermosa

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
That's a difficult situation, but I think you're going about it in the best way. See if the existing yard can accommodate, if not, then move. You're a bit flexible with a youngster at the moment since you don't really need a school and are looking for (I assume) a field mostly. Of course you'll want more facilities later on for her, but at the moment I think you can get by with something basic.

You could inquire at local studs to see if they have anything available. Sometimes they have small herds of youngsters.

Either way, I hope you can figure something out for her. Poor girl. I think the situation she was put into would've only worked out of sheer luck. It's not the best method, but I've seen less thought out herd introductions go ok.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Just read your edit. :(

It sounds like they are totally inflexible. Two horses have needed box rest, yours has been chased out of the field and they still think that chucking the new horse in is fine!

Well if anything shows that the fault lies with them rather than you for getting a youngster it is those two injured horses. You aren't asking for the world, just sensible, controlled introductions of a new horse to the herd. OK, they need to change things slightly for what... a fortnight or so?

I'm furious on your behalf.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Honestly, this could've happened with mare of any age, IMO. Her being a youngster is somewhat irrelevant. The yard should be able to accommodate, but I've also seen some yards have a gelding herd and a mare herd, if it doesn't go well, then you're SOL, those are your options. So if they really choose that "this is what we offer and that's it" then the choice is clear...but still no simple task.

Caol Ila

Visit site
That's a difficult situation, but I think you're going about it in the best way. See if the existing yard can accommodate, if not, then move. You're a bit flexible with a youngster at the moment since you don't really need a school and are looking for (I assume) a field mostly. Of course you'll want more facilities later on for her, but at the moment I think you can get by with something basic.

You could inquire at local studs to see if they have anything available. Sometimes they have small herds of youngsters.

Either way, I hope you can figure something out for her. Poor girl. I think the situation she was put into would've only worked out of sheer luck. It's not the best method, but I've seen less thought out herd introductions go ok.

Yeah, I would be happy with grass livery so long as there was a place I could take her to do some ground work. I can't find any nearby studs on a Google search, but maybe there's something small and not on Google?

Can you livery her back at the stud where you bought her from while you figure out a long term plan?

Yes -- that's my option C (A being make a plan with current yard, and B being move her somewhere nearby).

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yeah, I would be happy with grass livery so long as there was a place I could take her to do some ground work. I can't find any nearby studs on a Google search, but maybe there's something small and not on Google?

That's the hard part, some stuff isn't advertised or easily searchable. This happened to me when I first came to Germany. You sort of have to be "in the know" or ask seasoned locals.

I even searched around Google Maps in my area for anything that looked like stable. I could then drive by and see or stop in and inquire. Sort of creepy but eh. Fortunately I found a place so I didn't have to do that.

Caol Ila

Visit site
In good news, Hermosa was very settled in her stable this morning. OH mucked out (he's getting skills he never thought he have) while I led her around the yard. We're working on backing up out of my space, as she likes to push her shoulder into me when she's a bit worried about something. She was concerned/curious about a mounting block, so we went up to it and I tapped it and climbed onto it. She took a step back and eyeballed this, and then calmly came forward again. She's not a fly backwards panic first kind of girl (unless she's really scared and being chased).

I'm just super stressed and feel knackered.

littleshetland

Visit site
In good news, Hermosa was very settled in her stable this morning. OH mucked out (he's getting skills he never thought he have) while I led her around the yard. We're working on backing up out of my space, as she likes to push her shoulder into me when she's a bit worried about something. She was concerned/curious about a mounting block, so we went up to it and I tapped it and climbed onto it. She took a step back and eyeballed this, and then calmly came forward again. She's not a fly backwards panic first kind of girl (unless she's really scared and being chased).

Aaah bless you! I’m sure it’ll all pan out. Keep positive... it’ll all be worth it in the end.

Wishfilly

Visit site
This sounds really stressful and I'm sorry this is happening. It's clear the introduction systems don't work if two horses have had to go on box rest. Could you point out that the yard would have some level of liability if she jumped out onto a public road and caused an accident?

Sounds like you were able to do some productive work with her this morning, and I hope you're able to come up with a good solution for her!

Zuzan

Visit site

I feel your pain.. I remember the stresses of young horse.. your livery doesn't sound ideal... When mine was a baby (2 yo) until N was about 5 I kept her on a local farm with owners 2.. her riding mare and retired highland gelding.

We did the intro's over a fence first so pretty much what Hermosa did for herself .. Once my friend's mare accepted mine it was utterly trouble free .. so a small local herd set up for me and N worked really well.. ground work was done on the farm yard, on the farm track and later on the lane .. we did a couple of boot camps with a local trainer who was handily married to a farrier who did the hoof handling training as N was like Hermosa pretty much unhandled when I got her. The training we did was pretty much NH type stuff.. sacking out.. throwing rugs around, spook busting a bit of clicker / target training etc.

I would be looking for a similar set up with a youngster somewhere low key but with enough going on to be able to desensitise to other horses coming and going a bit etc.

Hope this helps thoughts with your both.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I feel your pain.. I remember the stresses of young horse.. your livery doesn't sound ideal... When mine was a baby (2 yo) until N was about 5 I kept her on a local farm with owners 2.. her riding mare and retired highland gelding.

We did the intro's over a fence first so pretty much what Hermosa did for herself .. Once my friend's mare accepted mine it was utterly trouble free .. so a small local herd set up for me and N worked really well.. ground work was done on the farm yard, on the farm track and later on the lane .. we did a couple of boot camps with a local trainer who was handily married to a farrier who did the hoof handling training as N was like Hermosa pretty much unhandled when I got her. The training we did was pretty much NH type stuff.. sacking out.. throwing rugs around, spook busting a bit of clicker / target training etc.

I would be looking for a similar set up with a youngster somewhere low key but with enough going on to be able to desensitise to other horses coming and going a bit etc.

Hope this helps thoughts with your both.

That would be a perfect set-up for her. But how do I even go about finding such a place? These obviously don't exist on the internet.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm spiralling into regretting life choices. Why did I buy this horse and not an older one, even if I had to do it sight unseen? I feel really stupid, like lockdown has made my brain malfunction. I really thought I could manage a two-year old. :(

Meeting with yard manager at 4:30. Guess that'll be the come to Jesus moment. I could always try tears.

Caol Ila

Visit site
No, because Gypsum has a field buddy, and Gypsum can't be in herds because she's the one who chases horses over fences. And having her run around in a strange herd with her age and arthritis is just asking for trouble.

spookypony

Visit site
Aww, I'm so sad to hear how stressed you are about the situation. Try to keep in mind that between you and the wee mare, all is well just now and she worked well with you and seems sweet. The unhelpfulness of the yard is no personal reflection on your abilities to handle a young horse.

As to what to try: would the YM be amenable to your building an electric corral in a corner of the same field (can be as simple as just taping off a corner with a straight line)? I'd use a double fence to be safe; just make sure it has enough zap to keep the bullies out until they have a while to sort out their horse politics.

If moving yards seems like a better idea, maybe a smaller private yard would be a nicer environment, and you could take both of yours...Could you PM me the approximate area you are looking?

planete

Visit site
Have you looked on the local Facebook horsey groups? You could even ask whether somebody has somewhere suitable. I spent a few weeks with just a stable and a 3 year old once. I used to take him out twice a day for a couple of hours in hand and walk and graze him anywhere around the area until I found him suitable turnout. Not ideal, but we both survived in one piece and as a bonus he was dead easy to back and ride away later. i am aware this may not be possible for you if you are working. Sorry I wish I could help, I know I would be tearing my hair out in your situation.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This could easily have happened with an older horse too, don't be hard on yourself.

If the yard keep on with their current line with this then they are being unreasonable and that isn't on you, it's just how they have decided to be for whatever reason. There will be a solution

Good luck with the yo later

Zuzan

Visit site
I'm spiralling into regretting life choices. Why did I buy this horse and not an older one, even if I had to do it sight unseen? I feel really stupid, like lockdown has made my brain malfunction. I really thought I could manage a two-year old. :(

Meeting with yard manager at 4:30. Guess that'll be the come to Jesus moment. I could always try tears.
Don't do that .. you will find a way through this with Hermosa.. I went thro some challenges with N but 16 yrs on from the unhandled 2yo arriving in the remote N Highlands I have the horse of a lifetime and am so pleased I managed to get thro those challenges..

Re finding a suitable set up .. take some time to look at maps and drive around looking for likely setups .. connect and network as far and wide as you can .. this isn't an internet search other than looking at maps for areas that would work.. quite lanes etc .. is it worth finding your local riding club as many members of our local RC are horses at home or livery at someone elses home .. there are virtually no yards near me .. apart from a couple of big very regimental ones that are a bit of nightmare.. maybe talk to Hermosa's breeders as they may have some ideas / connections.. stick with it. In the meantime both your safety is paramount.. hope the yard meeting goes as well as possible.

Caol Ila

Visit site
What were those challenges, Zuzan?

Yeah, DabDab, logically, I know that many an older horse has run through or over a fence. But I'm feeling overwhelmed and out of my depth.

But hey, she can jump. Don't have to free jump her now to know she can hop four foot. Not that I ever wanted to do that.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Long shot but might it be an idea to try your older mare's field - a corner separated off with electric fence ? If she and your older mare could work it out (and you will never know till you try) that could be a game changer for the whole thing ? Don't lose heart, you've made a good choice and this could just turn into a soon forgotten blip...

Caol Ila

Visit site
I can't wait for this to be a funny story rather than a source of me melting down.

That isn't a bad idea. Gypsum and her buddy are only out two ours per day at the moment, which isn't ideal. But it would be a lot better than nothing.

Edit: OH pointed out that the field isn't just used for Gypsum and her field mate. Other horses are rotated throughout the day. So it would need to be uncornered every day. Those particular paddocks are not very big.

spookypony

Visit site
Edit: OH pointed out that the field isn't just used for Gypsum and her field mate. Other horses are rotated throughout the day. So it would need to be uncornered every day. Those particular paddocks are not very big.

That would be easily done: get a piece of tape with one of those gate handle hooks at either end. Then you don't even need to turn the fence off to attach the length of tape. Just slip it into a few posts first, and then hook the handles to the main fence: done!

littleshetland

Visit site
Surely the yard owner can't object to a small part of the field being fenced while the youngster settles in? or the rested paddock being used for just a few days? Hope your meeting later goes well.....you could try bursting into tears or getting them in a head lock until they give in to your demands (humour!)

DressageCob

Visit site
I'm surprised you didn't have to quarantine a new horse. It's a big ask, arriving one day and then very swiftly out into an established herd. I've always been told you turn out with one other and then gradually introduce the others so they aren't overwhelmed.

I'm glad nobody posts my horses on forums calling them a "nasty piece of work" too. Horses are horses. They have herd dynamics. It's for the humans to control the situation so that it is safe for all of the horses. It sounds like your yard set you up to fail there.

The same herd with a gradual introduction may be possible, but I would feel quite uneasy knowing that she can jump out if troubled. Hopefully she won't do that again. But if the yard isn't being helpful then I would go elsewhere. I don't think her age is a factor here; it's not that she did silly baby things. Any submissive horse could have been chased in the same way.

She certainly lives up to her name. Lovely head and that's a flashy trot she's got. I hope you find a good solution for her.

abb123

Visit site
Can you find out when the horses come in/out and see if you can put yours out when most have either come in or still in their stables? an introduction with far fewer horses might out be less stressful. Could yo arrange to go down super early and get her out with one of the friendly horses that has been offered up and then bring her in before the others go out?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Feeling very defeated and exhausted. Gradual one-by-one introduction is not possible because the staff don't have time. They'll put like ten in the field in one go. Sectioning off any section of any paddock is not possible. Don't have enough grass. Putting her out with some shetlands that have babysat youngsters in the past is not possible (youngster in question belonged to now-ex yard manager). They don't mix livery horses with school horses. Putting her in one of the existing paddocks is not possible. Again, with the grass.

Wish I'd got the wee gelding, in a way. He would have gone into one of the gelding fields with less drama.

Wishfilly

Visit site
So, presumably they'll pay your vets bills if she gets injured? (I know you obviously won't risk this, but it feels like they are being very unreasonable).

Will the situation get any better as the ground improves into summer?

I would put out a wanted ad on facebook, looking for private livery yards. Look for local groups- there's a couple where people post advertising or looking for livery in my area.

be positive

Visit site
Without wanting to state the obvious why did they agree to taking in a youngster at livery if they are not prepared to even consider giving her a chance to settle in, as a former YO I am furious on your behalf as if I knew a new horse was coming in I was always half expecting to have to make some changes/ compromises until I had got to know it, this is a bad time of year to bring in a new one possibly the worst time to introduce an extra one into a herd which any sensible YO should know and have either refused to take her in or be prepared to get involved with making it work.
It will be about the money but with their attitude I am surprised they have not yet had a serious injury, you do seem to be unlucky as your other mare is presumably settled there which has been an issue in the past, you don't deserve this:(

Caol Ila

Visit site
They asked me to guarantee that she would be okay in the mare herd because they had no paddocks available. I agreed to this, but I couldn't 100% guarantee anything with a horse *I* didn't even know. If it's one you've had for a while, you can predict what it might do, but if it's one you just bought, you will have no idea.

There have been some injuries.