Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Peachespony

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG, We’re on the verge of buying a new car and I’ve forgotten all of the useful information I learnt last time I did all my calculations with your help!
I was always of the understanding, that you cannot tow a trailer with a plated max weight that is more than your car can tow (even if you’re towing empty / half full etc). That is why people would re plate the the trailer to a lower weight? Is this correct? Thanks in advance 😊

RHM

Visit site
I’m thinking about selling my 3.5 box and getting a trailer. I have a Volvo xc40 with tow capacity of 1,800kg but it’s electric! Am I mad or are they fit for the job? Obviously it will reduce the range but I don’t do long journeys very often.

Widgeon

Visit site
I’m thinking about selling my 3.5 box and getting a trailer. I have a Volvo xc40 with tow capacity of 1,800kg but it’s electric! Am I mad or are they fit for the job? Obviously it will reduce the range but I don’t do long journeys very often.
Oh I'm so interested to see what people think of this! TBH other than the range, I can't see why it would be a problem (assuming it's a lightweight trailer and only one horse)? Volvos tow well, and electric should theoretically be better for towing than diesel. In my mind, the question is, exactly how bad will the range be?

Reactions: RHM

RHM

Visit site
Oh I'm so interested to see what people think of this! TBH other than the range, I can't see why it would be a problem (assuming it's a lightweight trailer and only one horse)? Volvos tow well, and electric should theoretically be better for towing than diesel. In my mind, the question is, exactly how bad will the range be?
Yes thinking about a Bateson and only one horse. All the reviews of the hybrids towing are great but like you say what could it do to the range. It’s got over 300 mile range without towing. But it’s VERY hilly near me!

Aniseed

Visit site
I'm in the process of buying a new car for towing. It will also be my everyday car and I do at lot of miles for work so I need something relatively economical. Currently have a Nissan Qashqai which I love and I've seen that they do a 4x4 version which may be an option. My set up is:
Ifor Williams 506 - weight 920kg
Horse - 15.2hh approx 550kg
Tack pack with 1 saddle - no idea but would guess 30kg
Total weight - 1,500
2015 Qashqai 1.6 4x4 manual - towing capacity 1,800kg
The trailer and horse would be within the recommended max 85% and I will only ever tow one horse. Just wondering if it's a bit too close. The x-trail capacity is 2,000kg which would be another option but it's less economical. Thanks in advance

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi ROG, We’re on the verge of buying a new car and I’ve forgotten all of the useful information I learnt last time I did all my calculations with your help!
I was always of the understanding, that you cannot tow a trailer with a plated max weight that is more than your car can tow (even if you’re towing empty / half full etc). That is why people would re plate the the trailer to a lower weight? Is this correct? Thanks in advance 😊

Hi there,

I've just checked and it would appear that @ROG hasn't been on the H&H Forum since around May '23 - unless under a new name of course.

I just thought I'd let you know. He was so helpful with working out towing capacities for forum members, and advising on the in's and out's of the towing rules and regulations. Perhaps he'll return to the forum at some point in the future.