Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
I just looked at the Sorento GVW online and it is between 2510 and 2600+ so this set up is a no go from the outset for B licence towing

You need a vehicle with a lower GVW

ROG

Visit site
I just looked at the Sorento GVW online and it is between 2510 and 2600+ so this set up is a no go from the outset for B licence towing

You need a vehicle with a lower GVW
I suppose if you got a trailer such as the Bateson Derby which weighs 675 empty and had the MAM down plated to 990 and had a shetland pony weighing a max of 315 then that would be legal with a 2510 GVW vehicle and a B licence

cobsarefab

Visit site
Hi please could someone tell me if it would it be legal to tie using this set up on a b licence. A Mitsubishi asx gwvr 1870kg towing a single horse cheval liberte trailer with a 500kg cob inside?
Got a picture of the information because not sure which you need
NjYVrtB.jpg
thank you

ROG

Visit site
Hi please could someone tell me if it would it be legal to tie using this set up on a b licence. A Mitsubishi asx gwvr 1870kg towing a single horse cheval liberte trailer with a 500kg cob inside?
Got a picture of the information because not sure which you need
NjYVrtB.jpg
thank you
1400kg MAM for trailer
1870 GVW for vehicle
Total = 3270 so under the 3500 limit for B towing

Trailer is about 650 empty and horse is 500 so 1150+ total
As long as vehicle can tow 1200 or more then ok

Looks legal to me for B towing

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
Thank you for your time and for the quick reply :)

Just thought I would double check with someone else, although I researched this at length before buying.
For anyone is interested I have a Ford Mondeo and an Ifor Williams 403 which had the plate downrated by Ifor Williams. My little mare weighs 490kg so we are well within the weights.

Not all Mondeos are the same weights, it took me a while to find a suitable one but it tows the single trailer very well. My horse travels brilliantly in her 403 as well.

What Mondeo do you have?

Amy_08

Visit site
Hi Rog

Does this work it’s a BMW X3 3.0 carrying one horse in an Ifor 505:

1 B+E
2 kerb weight vehicle 1805kg
3 2280kg
4 2000kg
5 Plated mam of trailer 1905kg
6 Unladen weight trailer 905kg

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog

Does this work it’s a BMW X3 3.0 carrying one horse in an Ifor 505:

1 B+E
2 kerb weight vehicle 1805kg
3 2280kg
4 2000kg
5 Plated mam of trailer 1905kg
6 Unladen weight trailer 905kg

You can legally load 1000kg into the trailer

HB505 is usually 2340kg so it must have been down plated to 1905kg at some point but it beats me as to why !?

L5ura

Visit site
Hi Rog

Your assistance would be much appreciated please!

Is it true that you can tow on a B licence if the actual weight there and then of the vehicle, trailer and all contents amounts to less than 3500kg or is that a myth? I'm looking at a Honda CRV and Bateson Ascot (I've got my B+E booked for my own peace of mind but thinking of interim options if I fail!!)

1 B
2 kerb weight vehicle 1718kg
3 2170kg
4 max towing capacity 2000kg
5 Plated mam of trailer 2300kg
6 Unladen weight trailer 925kg

so if my unladen vehicle and trailer weigh in at a combined 2643kg and i'll only tow one horse at 600kg - as long as me (driver), fuel and accessories don't add up to weigh more than 257kg would I be legal on a B licence?

(if I'm not legal on a B licence, is it legal if/when I pass the B+E test?)

I look forward to your reply and many thanks in advance :)

Laura

it's so confusing, with lots of different people's opinions!!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog

Your assistance would be much appreciated please!

Is it true that you can tow on a B licence if the actual weight there and then of the vehicle, trailer and all contents amounts to less than 3500kg or is that a myth? I'm looking at a Honda CRV and Bateson Ascot (I've got my B+E booked for my own peace of mind but thinking of interim options if I fail!!)

1 B
2 kerb weight vehicle 1718kg
3 2170kg
4 max towing capacity 2000kg
5 Plated mam of trailer 2300kg
6 Unladen weight trailer 925kg

so if my unladen vehicle and trailer weigh in at a combined 2643kg and i'll only tow one horse at 600kg - as long as me (driver), fuel and accessories don't add up to weigh more than 257kg would I be legal on a B licence?

(if I'm not legal on a B licence, is it legal if/when I pass the B+E test?)

I look forward to your reply and many thanks in advance :)

Laura

it's so confusing, with lots of different people's opinions!!
2170+2300=4470 so well over the 3500 limit for B towing

Down plating the trailer will not work as the empty trailer is too heavy

Your set up as it stands is under B+E rules so you need a supervisor with you

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured to drive unless they actually drive the vehicle

With a different trailer you could tow on a B licence - perhaps a Bateson Derby which is 675 empty and can be down plated from 1700 to 1330 leaving a max of 655 for the trailer load

L5ura

Visit site
Ahh so it is a myth then - it goes on what the vehicle and trailer could potentially weigh if fully loaded, not what it weighs at that point in time.
That's great thank you for your reply Rog, much appreciated.
At least it's reassuring that I will be legal with that combo when I have passed B+E - just adds pressure to test day not having that as a back up option....unless I can find an unsuspecting victim to sit with me to supervise.....haha

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Hi ROG, can I ask a question about nose weights. I’ve just been told that my car’s tow bar is rated for a nose weight of 90kg. My trailer’s hitch is rated at 150kg. How can I work out what the nose weight is with horses on board? Can I used a nose weight gauge when horses are on board? Is that safe?

For info the car is a Tesla model X and the trailer is a Cheval Liberte XL gold diaganol.

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, can I ask a question about nose weights. I’ve just been told that my car’s tow bar is rated for a nose weight of 90kg. My trailer’s hitch is rated at 150kg. How can I work out what the nose weight is with horses on board? Can I used a nose weight gauge when horses are on board? Is that safe?

For info the car is a Tesla model X and the trailer is a Cheval Liberte XL gold diaganol.

A nose weight gauge is the only sure way
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kampa-caravan-nose-weight-gauge-AC0225-/302642996852

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Thanks ROG, how do you safely use the nose weight gauge with horses on board? I’ve always heard that loading horses when the trailer isn’t attached to a car is very unsafe. I’m worried that balancing the hitch on a weight gauge and then taking the jockey wheel up would be carnage!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG, how do you safely use the nose weight gauge with horses on board? I’ve always heard that loading horses when the trailer isn’t attached to a car is very unsafe. I’m worried that balancing the hitch on a weight gauge and then taking the jockey wheel up would be carnage!

Never used a gauge but I think it simply goes under the hitch when stationary so what is loaded should not matter

friesianfan69

Visit site
Hi Roger just watching a fb post about towing and licences etc.
There are sooooo many differs in peoples opinion on it, on what is and isnt legal.
Can i ask how do you know the correct information?

ROG

Visit site
awww thanks yes i just had a look thankyou.
So what i mean was do you do towing tests or similar?
Where do you learn your info from i mean lol

I was a LGV C CE and BE instructor from 2005 to 2008

My info is triple checked with DVLA, police traffic and often the DfT via emails with my MP

I always use a public forum for Q&As because we are all human and can get things wrong from time to time

If I cannot give a definitive legal answer then I will make it clear that I only THINK the info is correct

Does that answer all of your queries?