Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Batgirl

Visit site
Yes - many of them - max GVW 1900kg

Just explain that for about £50 and a little work to remove and fix plate that the process to down plate is dead easy

I would have IW tel number on a piece of paper along with the process

Amazing thanks! I just don't want someone saying 'can I tow it with X car with my B license' without being able to tell them the facts and figures!

Much appreciated.

Blind old bat

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm hoping to swap my little 3.5 box for a 4 x 4 / trailer combo and I'm completely confused and would be very grateful for some enlightenment! I haven't bought anything yet but I'm looking at a Subaru Forester 2l TD 2013 and I'd want to pull an ifor 403 with a horse weighing about 550kg. So, doing my best with your numbers:
1. B & E I think - full granddad rights as I'm ancient.
2 1540 minimum kerb weight - is that the right thing?
3. I don't know where I'd find this as I don't own the car!
4. 2000 kg
5. The gross weight is 1600, is that the right thing?
6. 767 kg

Sorry to be so vague but I'm a bit clueless!

ROG

Visit site
Hi, I'm hoping to swap my little 3.5 box for a 4 x 4 / trailer combo and I'm completely confused and would be very grateful for some enlightenment! I haven't bought anything yet but I'm looking at a Subaru Forester 2l TD 2013 and I'd want to pull an ifor 403 with a horse weighing about 550kg. So, doing my best with your numbers:
1. B & E I think - full granddad rights as I'm ancient.
2 1540 minimum kerb weight - is that the right thing?
3. I don't know where I'd find this as I don't own the car!
4. 2000 kg
5. The gross weight is 1600, is that the right thing?
6. 767 kg

Sorry to be so vague but I'm a bit clueless!

Simple answer = you can load a max of 833kg into the trailer

XxCoriexX

Visit site
So I am having a car dilemma, I currently tow my 600kg mare in my ifor 511 with my Tiguan escape which has a towing capacity of 2500kg. However my car is getting old and is starting to fail me. My dad has made me the offer of having his Tiguan which is the r line blue tech tdi 2014 model but the towing capacity is only 2200kg. My question is - would it be legal and safe and would you do it?

ROG

Visit site
So I am having a car dilemma, I currently tow my 600kg mare in my ifor 511 with my Tiguan escape which has a towing capacity of 2500kg. However my car is getting old and is starting to fail me. My dad has made me the offer of having his Tiguan which is the r line blue tech tdi 2014 model but the towing capacity is only 2200kg. My question is - would it be legal and safe and would you do it?

With a B+E licence you can load a max of 1200 into the trailer

alicepalice

New User
Visit site
Hi there

I am looking at purchasing a 2015 Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 with the initial aim of towing one horse(545kg), two if this is at all possible. If you could tell me how to best achieve both scenarios that would be massively helpful.

1 - B but can aim to get BE
2 - 1451 (kerb weight)
3 - 2096kg
4 - 650kg
5 - TBC
6 - TBC

ROG

Visit site
Hi there

I am looking at purchasing a 2015 Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 with the initial aim of towing one horse(545kg), two if this is at all possible. If you could tell me how to best achieve both scenarios that would be massively helpful.

1 - B but can aim to get BE
2 - 1451 (kerb weight)
3 - 2096kg
4 - 650kg
5 - TBC
6 - TBC

4 - 1800kg braked is more likely than 650kg unbraked

B licence =
Need a trailer plated at or down plated to 1400 with an empty weight of 800 or less so perhaps HB401/3 or Bateson Derby or cheval liberte single etc etc which will leave a trailer load of 600+

B+E licence =
To carry two you will need a trailer that is perhaps 900 empty with a plated weight of 1800 or more then it can be loaded with a max weight of 900 but as your horse is 545 then that only leaves 355 for a very small pony
To carry two horses at 550 each then you need a trailer that is perhaps 900 empty with a plated weight (MAM) of at least 2000 along with a vehicle that has at least a 2000 towing capacity

Gem19822002

New User
Visit site
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help.

I'm trying to work out if I can tow legally and safely on just a B license, with a Ford maverick 2.0 xlt with a tow weight of 1500, not sure about its gross max weight I think it may be 1490 ish and was thinking a light weight single trailer as only want to tow one 16'2 600kg ish horse.

Have tried to ring dvla, dvsa and Ford but none of them seem to know and pass me on to the others

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help.

I'm trying to work out if I can tow legally and safely on just a B license, with a Ford maverick 2.0 xlt with a tow weight of 1500, not sure about its gross max weight I think it may be 1490 ish and was thinking a light weight single trailer as only want to tow one 16'2 600kg ish horse.

Have tried to ring dvla, dvsa and Ford but none of them seem to know and pass me on to the others

Many thanks

Nip out to the car and find the weight plate which has 4 numbers on it - I need the top 2 numbers (usually hidden under bonnet or in a door frame)

OR

I need the max permissible mass and max tow weight on the DVLA V5 keepers doc

Gem19822002

New User
Visit site
On the v5 the only figure stated is mass in service which is 1540, the max. Permissible mass is just above this but doesn't have a figure next to it.

It also doesn't state any of the technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer figures either.

The actual vehicle is currently in the garage just having a few things fixed to get it through an mot so can't look there either.

I rang Ford to try get these figures but they couldn't help.

ROG

Visit site
On the v5 the only figure stated is mass in service which is 1540, the max. Permissible mass is just above this but doesn't have a figure next to it.

It also doesn't state any of the technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer figures either.

The actual vehicle is currently in the garage just having a few things fixed to get it through an mot so can't look there either.

I rang Ford to try get these figures but they couldn't help.

What does it state on the vehicle weight plate ???? - top two figures of the 4 listed please

Gem19822002

New User
Visit site
The car is in a garage at the moment getting fixed so can't actually go out and look. I can pop over to the garage tomorrow and get the figures then.

ROG

Visit site
The car is in a garage at the moment getting fixed so can't actually go out and look. I can pop over to the garage tomorrow and get the figures then.
Whilst it is there ask the garage to find the plate as they have probably spotted it already - in fact a phone call will get you the figures if they read them off to you

ROG

Visit site
FORD MAVERICK

I am going to have a GUESS that the top two numbers on the plate will be 2000 (GVW) and 3500 (GTW) meaning it has a max tow limit of 1500

IF that is the case then it should be relatively easy to tow a 600 horse in a lightweight trailer on a B licence

Using an IW HB401/3 (as an example) down plated from 1600 to 1500 and it being 780 empty will leave 720 for the trailer load

AH - just seen your reply posted
The top two figures on the vehicle weight plate are.

1965kg
3465kg

Many thanks
Not a bad GUESS on my part and my answer remains the same

Gem19822002

New User
Visit site
Great thank you, so can go ahead at start looking for a light weight trailer.

So grateful for your help having been pulling my hair out trying to actually get the right help.

ROG

Visit site
Great thank you, so can go ahead at start looking for a light weight trailer.

So grateful for your help having been pulling my hair out trying to actually get the right help.

That is why I am here = smiley face

The procedure for down plating a trailer is as follows -

You contact the manufacturer with all the trailer details including the serial number
You remove/drill out the original plate
You send plate plus money (usually between £10 and £50) to the manufacturer
Manufacturer sends you new plate
You fit new plate by using a pop rivet gun

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Hello. Quick question. With a Landrover Discovery II and an Ifor 511 am I going to be too heavy to tow on a normal car license even if the trailer is empty? I think the car weighs up to about 2220kg "kerb weight" and the trailer is 1000kg unladen...

I know I definitely can't tow the horse but it would be useful if I could tow the empty trailer at this juncture.

Thanks for any light that can be shed!

ROG

Visit site
Hello. Quick question. With a Landrover Discovery II and an Ifor 511 am I going to be too heavy to tow on a normal car license even if the trailer is empty? I think the car weighs up to about 2220kg "kerb weight" and the trailer is 1000kg unladen...

I know I definitely can't tow the horse but it would be useful if I could tow the empty trailer at this juncture.

Thanks for any light that can be shed!
Licences go on the plated weights not the actual weights which your are referring to

Car plated GVW + Trailer plated MAM cannot total more than 3500 for B licence towing

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Licences go on the plated weights not the actual weights which your are referring to

Car plated GVW + Trailer plated MAM cannot total more than 3500 for B licence towing

And the plated weights are the same as maximum weights? So it doesn't matter that the trailer is unloaded?

Bob notacob

Visit site
That is why I am here = smiley face

The procedure for down plating a trailer is as follows -

You contact the manufacturer with all the trailer details including the serial number
You remove/drill out the original plate
You send plate plus money (usually between £10 and £50) to the manufacturer
Manufacturer sends you new plate
You fit new plate by using a pop rivet gun

Alternatively you simply have a plate made up with the lower weights you want ,(ebay) rivet it on ,job done. This is entirely legal . These "plates" are merely a statement of the restrictions within which the trailer is to be operated. If they are lower than those of the manufacturer ,this will go unchallenged.

ROG

Visit site
Alternatively you simply have a plate made up with the lower weights you want ,(ebay) rivet it on ,job done. This is entirely legal . These "plates" are merely a statement of the restrictions within which the trailer is to be operated. If they are lower than those of the manufacturer ,this will go unchallenged.
Totally ILLEGAL to do that in the EU/UK