Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Said FB post really surprised me, I genuinely didn't realise that after all this time people still have completely random ideas about what is and isn't legal, including those who state they have police and trading standards connections!

As it has now poofed, I hope a few people perhaps found their way to this thread.

Crackerz

Visit site
Said FB post really surprised me, I genuinely didn't realise that after all this time people still have completely random ideas about what is and isn't legal, including those who state they have police and trading standards connections!

As it has now poofed, I hope a few people perhaps found their way to this thread.

I think i was the one that pointed people here, if it's the same Facebook post! :D

ester

Visit site
It was deleted ROG, which given the amount of random information flying around was probably the best thing.
It was someone who thought that they could tow up to 3.5T train weight who had been told no she couldn't tow any trailer on a B licence, and rather a lot of people agreeing with the latter, suggesting she needed a licence to transport livestock etc etc.

*waves at crackerz, I can't even remember which group it was on, I thought it was cambs one. I was the one that said you got their first ;)

Alibear

Visit site
Just wanted to say thankyou to ROG and the reminder of post 3000, your comments and the linked VOSA guide has saved me £250 to needlessly down plate my new trailer. :)
I may print the guide and keep it in the glove box.

ROG

Visit site
Just wanted to say thankyou to ROG and the reminder of post 3000, your comments and the linked VOSA guide has saved me £250 to needlessly down plate my new trailer. :)
I may print the guide and keep it in the glove box.
£250 to down plate a trailer !!!! - whose make of trailer is that ... an Arab sheiks ?

Crackerz

Visit site
It was deleted ROG, which given the amount of random information flying around was probably the best thing.
It was someone who thought that they could tow up to 3.5T train weight who had been told no she couldn't tow any trailer on a B licence, and rather a lot of people agreeing with the latter, suggesting she needed a licence to transport livestock etc etc.

*waves at crackerz, I can't even remember which group it was on, I thought it was cambs one. I was the one that said you got their first ;)

I think it was a general chit chat & tack type of page? I'm on all sorts of horsey FB pages haha. Definitely sounds like the same post, i started replying to a couple of people saying they were giving incorrect info, then i realised over three quarters of people were saying she couldn't, so i just decided to link to here :D

ester

Visit site
I think it was cambs horsepoo. I don't do chit chat and take :eek: I had to leave, I couldn't take it :D :D

there cannot have been two :D
yup the numbers were staggering.

Fiona

Visit site
Hi ROG...

I have a towing query that I really hope you can help with.

Sorry to bother you, but I know you share my liking for the Skoda Octavia as a tow car, and I'm having a bit of a problem with mine.

Its booked into the Skoda dealer on 16th for them to check it out, but I'm wondering am I on the right track...

Basically, hubby has owned a Golf 4 motion, and a Skoda Octavia 4x4, both of which have been amazing tow cars. On grass, up hill on grass, towing a horse trailer or a builders trailer with tonne bag of stone etc.....

We have now changed to a 2015 Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4, and twice now have got it completely stuck on grass when towing. Once at pony club with one pony on board, and once with tonne bag of stone on dry grass going uphill (both situations have been fine with prev cars in the past).

Anyway that's the background.

When the car gets stuck, the front wheels are spinning, but back wheels not moving at all. This says to me that the car is not swapping from 2wd to 4wd.

I've done a bit of research and the Haldex box that is used in 4x4 VW/skoda is well regarded, but have read about the pump failing, and coincidentally when my Scout was serviced in March the oil in the Haldex box was changed (a different dealer to the one I'm going to next week, as I wasn't impressed with them, and hubby also prefers the other one).

Do you think I'm on the right track suspecting a potential Haldex problem, or is the car just crap at towing (I'm really hoping it isn't this btw, as hubby has now got one too, so we are a 2 Scout family haha).

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks :)

Fiona

ROG

Visit site
Fiona it does seem as though there is a gearbox issue - it could be that a Skoda main dealer may be your only EXPENSIVE option !!

View

Visit site
ROG,

Please will you PM me - I think that you may be able to point me in the right direction for something, but this isn't B+E related.

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

HappyDayz

Visit site
I hope I have got these number right! We are looking at getting a Nugents Spirit 25 trailer and potentially a freelancer 2. Were not sure if the freelander is enough to toe with or if it would even be legal with the trailer gross weight at 2700kg. We would only be travelling one horse (650kg)

1 BE
2 1850kg
3 not too sure?
4 2000kg
5 2700
6 1100kg

ROG

Visit site
I hope I have got these number right! We are looking at getting a Nugents Spirit 25 trailer and potentially a freelancer 2. Were not sure if the freelander is enough to toe with or if it would even be legal with the trailer gross weight at 2700kg. We would only be travelling one horse (650kg)

1 BE
2 1850kg
3 not too sure?
4 2000kg
5 2700
6 1100kg
You have 2000 to play with on BE

1100 + 650 = 1750 leaving 250 spare

100% legal

HappyDayz

Visit site
Is there any chance you can clear up the confusion around the veichles 2000kg two capacity and the trailers 2700kg. I’ve seen so many posts saying if the trailers number is higher than the car then it’s illegal no matter what the load in the trailer?

Fiona

Visit site
Fiona it does seem as though there is a gearbox issue - it could be that a Skoda main dealer may be your only EXPENSIVE option !!

There is definitely a haldex fault (either pump or wiring).... I'm so glad I wasn't imagining things....

Car booked in again in 2 weeks time.

Fiona

HappyDayz

Visit site
Okay! And then to add to my confusion! Would that set up be legal for a post 97 license to tow if there was a pre 97 license with them?!

ROG

Visit site
Is there any chance you can clear up the confusion around the veichles 2000kg two capacity and the trailers 2700kg. I’ve seen so many posts saying if the trailers number is higher than the car then it’s illegal no matter what the load in the trailer?

No such law or rule

What those numpties are saying is that because it is POSSIBLE for the trailer to be loaded with more than the vehicle towing capacity can safely cope with it is illegal ...... hmmmm ... ok lets look at POSSIBLE ......

Cop stops me in a 30 limit
Cop - can your car do 70?
Me - yes
Cop - then I am arresting you as it is POSSIBLE you can do 70 in this 30 limit
Cop - what is in the boot?
Me - a rifle in a gun case as I have just come from my regular shooting range
Cop - then you are further under arrest for POSSIBLY using that for criminal purposes

ROG

Visit site
What insurance is needed? Car is fully comp?
All drivers who will doing the driving need to be insured to do so but if the insurer is not notified that it is being used by a learner then it can invalidate the insurance - insurers usually say thanks for info and ok at no extra cost

HappyDayz

Visit site
One final question ROG (sorry! There may be more!) would the freelander / Nugent setup be suitable for a driver with B licence gained in 2014 without supervision and L plates?

ROG

Visit site
One final question ROG (sorry! There may be more!) would the freelander / Nugent setup be suitable for a driver with B licence gained in 2014 without supervision and L plates?

I think the FW has a GVW of 2505 and added to the trailer MAM of 2700 is a total of 5205 which is way above the 3500 limit for a B licence

JessMoo

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG

Could you help me?

I have a Vauxhall Insignia 2L CDTI.
Kerbweight: 1658kg
Gross weight: 2285kg
Towing capacity (braked): 1600kg

I also have a Ifor Williams 401.
Weight unladen: 770kg
Max weight: 1600kg
Weight loaded allowance: 830kg

And horse.
Horse weight: 440kg

Totalling 3495kg at a maximum if my car has all passengers etc.

I can tow on a B license legally? I’m 25 and passed my car test in 2009.

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

Could you help me?

I have a Vauxhall Insignia 2L CDTI.
Kerbweight: 1658kg
Gross weight: 2285kg
Towing capacity (braked): 1600kg

I also have a Ifor Williams 401.
Weight unladen: 770kg
Max weight: 1600kg
Weight loaded allowance: 830kg

And horse.
Horse weight: 440kg

Totalling 3495kg at a maximum if my car has all passengers etc.

I can tow on a B license legally? I’m 25 and passed my car test in 2009.
Your total MAM/GVW for licencing purposes is 3885 so over the 3500 limit for B towing

Down plating the trailer to 1200 will not help in this case as that would only leave 430 for the trailer load which even if you could get it down plated to 1215 would be TOO close for comfort

REMEDY - you either need a vehicle with less GVW or a lighter trailer which can be down plated by its current manufacturer
EXAMPLE - a Bateson Derby is 675 empty and can be down plated to 1200 leaving 525 for the trailer load

JessMoo

New User
Visit site
Your total MAM/GVW for licencing purposes is 3885 so over the 3500 limit for B towing

Down plating the trailer to 1200 will not help in this case as that would only leave 430 for the trailer load which even if you could get it down plated to 1215 would be TOO close for comfort

REMEDY - you either need a vehicle with less GVW or a lighter trailer which can be down plated by its current manufacturer
EXAMPLE - a Bateson Derby is 675 empty and can be down plated to 1200 leaving 525 for the trailer load

Thanks! Can I drive this with L plates and my dad/mum in the passenger seat as they have the old license?