Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

zoon

Visit site
Horse is around 600, so a bit close for my liking. I’ll wait until I can book the test as looks like things are heading back towards normality

zoon

Visit site
Actually, looking at the plate inside the vehicle, my particular model is a fair bit heavier than what I said - 2250kg GVW, so wouldn’t work at all

Maple_stirrup

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a Q5 with a GVW of 2365kg.
Bateson trailer of 860kg unladen and MAM of 2300kg. To tow I’m assuming I would need to hold the B+E License?
Thanks for your time!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a Q5 with a GVW of 2365kg.
Bateson trailer of 860kg unladen and MAM of 2300kg. To tow I’m assuming I would need to hold the B+E License?
Thanks for your time!
Yes you need B+E or L plates under supervision
Supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they drive it

Maple_stirrup

Visit site
Yes you need B+E or L plates under supervision
Supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they drive it
Thanks Rog,
My partner has his Artic License, would I be able to tow a horse on with L plates and him by the side of me for practice under the provisional?

Dwhalley78185

Visit site
@ROG I have a trailer HB505r I need to down plate it but iforwillams told me I can only down plate to 1400 is this correct, or can I go to 1300 or less as trailer unladen is 905 and pony only 250.
My partner is driving a Ford connect van with tow capacity of 1500 and GVW of 2245 can I go buy the unladen weight on this of 905 and pony 250 to come under to be able to drive on B licence or what’s the best way round it if there is one.

ROG

Visit site
@ROG I have a trailer HB505r I need to down plate it but iforwillams told me I can only down plate to 1400 is this correct, or can I go to 1300 or less as trailer unladen is 905 and pony only 250.
My partner is driving a Ford connect van with tow capacity of 1500 and GVW of 2245 can I go buy the unladen weight on this of 905 and pony 250 to come under to be able to drive on B licence or what’s the best way round it if there is one.
IW are correct as some manufacturers have only specified thier trailers for certain MAM weights such as multiples of 100 whereas Bateson are able to do any weight

I have just come off the phone with IW and 1400 is the minimum that trailer can be down plated to unfortunately and with that info that trailer is not going to be any good for B towing with a vehicle GVW of 2245

You need a smaller GVW vehicle or a lighter trailer

Dwhalley78185

Visit site
IW are correct as some manufacturers have only specified thier trailers for certain MAM weights such as multiples of 100 whereas Bateson are able to do any weight

I have just come off the phone with IW and 1400 is the minimum that trailer can be down plated to unfortunately and with that info that trailer is not going to be any good for B towing with a vehicle GVW of 2245

You need a smaller GVW vehicle or a lighter trailer

Dwhalley78185

Visit site
Thanks for the reply @ROG
I was hoping the overall weight if we was weighted on weight bridge with car unladen trailer weight and horse 3400 would be good enough ??‍♀️But Is it all down to what is on the metal plate then rog
so if I brought a car with gwv 2100 and got the trailer down plated to 1400 is that okey 3500 or do I also need to add the weight of the horse on top too then I’m over again
Many tanks

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for the reply @ROG
I was hoping the overall weight if we was weighted on weight bridge with car unladen trailer weight and horse 3400 would be good enough ??‍♀️But Is it all down to what is on the metal plate then rog
so if I brought a car with gwv 2100 and got the trailer down plated to 1400 is that okey 3500 or do I also need to add the weight of the horse on top too then I’m over again
Many tanks
2100 + 1400 = 3500 so just ok for B licence towing

Legal B towing example
Vehicle GVW 2100
Vehicle empty 1500
Max vehicle load 600
Trailer MAM 1400
Trailer empty 800
Max trailer load 600

Scottie12345

New User
Visit site
Hi, I am baffled by this! I am looking for a car and have the trailer, it is a indespension monarque and if I am correct weighs 800kg. I have my B+E license and the horse weighs 450kg I have attached the plates since they just confuse me. So what I am asking is what car is best and what would be the minimum towing limit if the car?

Attachments

• 0808FE93-2DE1-4ED6-8C1D-4EBC0BC25223.jpeg
    0808FE93-2DE1-4ED6-8C1D-4EBC0BC25223.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 11E74451-9E9A-4C5B-A709-60AF9383E851.jpeg
    11E74451-9E9A-4C5B-A709-60AF9383E851.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1

ROG

Visit site
Hi, I am baffled by this! I am looking for a car and have the trailer, it is a indespension monarque and if I am correct weighs 800kg. I have my B+E license and the horse weighs 450kg I have attached the plates since they just confuse me. So what I am asking is what car is best and what would be the minimum towing limit if the car?
From the internet I get that the trailer is 800kg empty and from your plate it is 2300kg MAM

Where did you get the plates from as you said you attached them ?

You will need a vehicle that can tow at least 1300kg

There are hundreds of vehicles that have at least that tow weight

Scottie12345

New User
Visit site
From the internet I get that the trailer is 800kg empty and from your plate it is 2300kg MAM

Where did you get the plates from as you said you attached them ?

You will need a vehicle that can tow at least 1300kg

There are hundreds of vehicles that have at least that tow weight

the plates were attached when I got them, typing fast I meant I have attached photos of the plates. Sorry. Thank you so much for the quick reply. I can now get car shopping and know that I will be towing safely

ROG

Visit site
the plates were attached when I got them, typing fast I meant I have attached photos of the plates. Sorry. Thank you so much for the quick reply. I can now get car shopping and know that I will be towing safely
I did wonder about the plates but that now cleared up

It is easier with a B+E licence as the rules are much easier
Do not exceed the MAM of the trailer
Do not exceed the max tow limit of the vehicle

Horseyhattie

New User
Visit site
Hi there! I am trying to work out if my Honda CRV 02 will safely tow my old Bahill pony trailer, with a Dartmoor pony on board. Also would like to know if this can be done on my normal license or if I should go and get my trailer license.
many thanks for your help!

ROG

Visit site
Hi there! I am trying to work out if my Honda CRV 02 will safely tow my old Bahill pony trailer, with a Dartmoor pony on board. Also would like to know if this can be done on my normal license or if I should go and get my trailer license.
many thanks for your help!

I need these weights -
Empty trailer weight
Max plated weight of trailer or if none then the load ratings total of all the tyres
Pony weight
Max vehicle tow weight listed on V5 DVLA keepers doc
GVW of vehicle
Weight plate on vehicle usually hidden in a door frame or under bonnet which has 4 numbers on it - I need the top 2 numbers

Horseyhattie

New User
Visit site
Cripes I best get looking! Thankyou for your help. Is it best to go to the weigh bridge to find out my trailer weight? From looking in my car book thing I think towing weight is 1500? Pony weighs 280 ish.
will go and try and find all other weights.
Many thanks!

ROG

Visit site
Cripes I best get looking! Thankyou for your help. Is it best to go to the weigh bridge to find out my trailer weight? From looking in my car book thing I think towing weight is 1500? Pony weighs 280 ish.
will go and try and find all other weights.
Many thanks!
Does the trailer have a max weight plate on it?

jojo5

Visit site
Hi are you able to give advice on suitability of either a 3.5t small lorry ( Renault/Fiat/Merc type but box, not the van shapes) or an IFW 506 ( pulled by a Defender) to transport a 16hh Belgian Draft cross weighing around 750 kg. Thanks.

ROG

Visit site
Hi are you able to give advice on suitability of either a 3.5t small lorry ( Renault/Fiat/Merc type but box, not the van shapes) or an IFW 506 ( pulled by a Defender) to transport a 16hh Belgian Draft cross weighing around 750 kg. Thanks.
You will get more responses on the main forum

ROG

Visit site
I have checked the plate and it says min 950 - max 1900. This is more than I thought! My car book says 1500 is max to tow. I forgot to get the numbers from the bonnet!
I assume that will mean it is 950 empty and max MAM of 1900
It will need down plating by Bahill but I think they are no longer trading so that is a no go - unless your car has a GVW of 1600 or less and that is highly unlikely!
Options - drive under B+E rules or get another trailer where the manufacturer is still trading

Horseyhattie

New User
Visit site
I assume that will mean it is 950 empty and max MAM of 1900
It will need down plating by Bahill but I think they are no longer trading so that is a no go - unless your car has a GVW of 1600 or less and that is highly unlikely!
Options - drive under B+E rules or get another trailer where the manufacturer is still trading
Thankyou again. However still a bit confused- what do you mean by drive under B+E rules? If I used a different vehicle is the trailer still ok to tow?