Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

Can I call on your expertise? I keep looking at this, and I have all sorts of numbers on scraps of paper, but still no clearer as to what we can actually tow

Husband has B+E licence (held since 1992)
Car is a 2015 2.2 Diesel Kia Sorento - Automatic
Kerb weight I believe is 1953kg
GVW is 2560kg
Braked towing capacity is 2000kg (750kg unbraked)

We’re looking to buy a trailer to take son’s pony out and about to stop relying on friends/transporters - she’s a fairly chunky 13.2 Welsh C, I haven’t had a weight tape on her yet though...

He’s eyeing up the HB506/511 but I have no idea if this set up would be legal, and I’ve ended up completely confusing myself! Unladen weights are 920kg/1000kg, but max gross weights of the trailers are 2600kg/2700kg.

Can you work out what we should actually be going out to look for before he goes too far down the path of wanting someone he can’t have? do we need to be looking for something smaller/older/lighter?

(Just praying I haven’t just talked him into having a tow bar fitted for nothing!)
I will extract the relevant bits
B+E licemce
Max tow 2000
If trailer empty at 1000 then the max you can load in it is 1000
If trailer empty at 920 then the max you can load in it is 1080

Trailer plated at 2600/2700 is of no relevance because you are limited by the lower 2000 max tow limit
No law or rule to down plate

WelshHoarder

Visit site
ROG you’re an absolute star - so in theory we‘re fine with either (by the time we need to tow more than madam we’ll have upgraded the car), and I don’t need to worry about the trailer platings - it’s just a case of sticking to the 2000kg max tow weight?

Think I was just getting so confused with all the licence types and different bits of information!

laurinski

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG,

Apologies I suspect this has been asked many times but I'm getting myself in a muddle.

I did my B+E to enable me to tow last year, we are looking for a car at the moment that will double up as a family car (trailer will be ifor 510 with one 600kg horse for now). Please can you clarify the legal limits?
- is it actually just the max tow weight that is the important number?
- does the weight on the plate on the trailer have a bearing on what is legal for the towing vehicle? (I have seen things saying with the B+E i would need a car that is top end of the max tow weight)
- does the kerb weight of the car have to be more than the weight of the trailer (+ load) to be safe?
Is there anything else really important that I need to look at on the car specs?

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Apologies I suspect this has been asked many times but I'm getting myself in a muddle.

I did my B+E to enable me to tow last year, we are looking for a car at the moment that will double up as a family car (trailer will be ifor 510 with one 600kg horse for now). Please can you clarify the legal limits?
- is it actually just the max tow weight that is the important number?
- does the weight on the plate on the trailer have a bearing on what is legal for the towing vehicle? (I have seen things saying with the B+E i would need a car that is top end of the max tow weight)
- does the kerb weight of the car have to be more than the weight of the trailer (+ load) to be safe?
Is there anything else really important that I need to look at on the car specs?

Many thanks
Either max tow or trailer plated MAM determines the max - use the lower of the two
A car with a max tow of say 2000 can tow a trailer plated at 3500 and is 1000 empty - the max load in that case is 1000
A car with a max tow of 3500 with a trailer plated at 2500 and is 1000 empty = the max load in that case is 1500
Kerb weight has no bearing but in most cases it is safer to have the towing vehicle heavier than the trailer although some vehicle are designed to do the opposite

RRM0820

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable weight vehicle to pull one horse in a (downplated) Cheval Liberte 1003XL? The vehicle and trailer horse combination needs to be within the limits for a standard licence. Looking for a 2nd hand older vehicle.

I have taken trailer lessons but unfortunately failed the test due to not noticing a speed limit sign early enough :-( passed my reverse etc with flying colours so will retake the test eventually when centres re-open after covid.

Thank you

ROG

Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable weight vehicle to pull one horse in a (downplated) Cheval Liberte 1003XL? The vehicle and trailer horse combination needs to be within the limits for a standard licence. Looking for a 2nd hand older vehicle.

I have taken trailer lessons but unfortunately failed the test due to not noticing a speed limit sign early enough :-( passed my reverse etc with flying colours so will retake the test eventually when centres re-open after covid.

Thank you
If for example your trailer is now plated at say 1300 then you need a vehicle with a max GVW of 2200
One vehicle that comes to mind is perhaps an older Skoda Octavia 4x4 but there are loads of others

RRM0820

New User
Visit site
If for example your trailer is now plated at say 1300 then you need a vehicle with a max GVW of 2200
One vehicle that comes to mind is perhaps an older Skoda Octavia 4x4 but there are loads of others

Thanks for the reply. Im struggling to get correct info on GVW online as most seem to show curb weight. Are there any small 4x4's do you know if a Nissan Xtrail or a Freelander 2 would work?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Im struggling to get correct info on GVW online as most seem to show curb weight. Are there any small 4x4's do you know if a Nissan Xtrail or a Freelander 2 would work?
Nissan Xtrail deffo works for many on here with one horse and lightweight down plated trailer

Peachespony

New User
Visit site
Hi Rog,
I was wondering if you might be able to advise- I am utterly clueless and becoming so confused with all the numbers. I have copied the info from the v5 I think you need:
Max permissible mass 2505
Mass in service 1765
Tech. permissible max towable mass of trailer, braked 1800
unbraked 750
I'm hoping to get an ifor 505 trailer and the numbers on the plate are:
2340kg
1 - 1170kg
2 - 1170kg

How much extra weight could I carry with that combination? I'm hoping I could transport 2 ponies, but worried I'll only have capacity for 1.

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,
I was wondering if you might be able to advise- I am utterly clueless and becoming so confused with all the numbers. I have copied the info from the v5 I think you need:
Max permissible mass 2505
Mass in service 1765
Tech. permissible max towable mass of trailer, braked 1800
unbraked 750
I'm hoping to get an ifor 505 trailer and the numbers on the plate are:
2340kg
1 - 1170kg
2 - 1170kg

How much extra weight could I carry with that combination? I'm hoping I could transport 2 ponies, but worried I'll only have capacity for 1.

Many thanks
You need a B+E licence
1800 max tow limit
Trailer empty 905
1800 minus 905 = 895
max load for trailer = 895
If your 2 ponies weigh more than 895 together then not going to work with that set up

Peachespony

New User
Visit site
You need a B+E licence
1800 max tow limit
Trailer empty 905
1800 minus 905 = 895
max load for trailer = 895
If your 2 ponies weigh more than 895 together then not going to work with that set up

Thats wonderful, thank you so much!

Just so I can get my head around your calculation, where do you get the 905 from?

ROG

Visit site
Hi can anyone advise on this please?

When towing do you need 'special' insurance or does your cars insurance cover you? Also is a tow bar classed as a modification on a car?
Inform insurer you have towbar fitted and will be towing - usually no increase in premium
Trailer needs separate insurance if you want it covered = your choice as not legally needed

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Inform insurer you have towbar fitted and will be towing - usually no increase in premium
Trailer needs separate insurance if you want it covered = your choice as not legally needed

Thank you ROG :)

Can you recommend a tow car that can tow 2200-2500kg ish, full towing license so no restrictions there. Will be my everyday car for commuting so needs to be reliable and goodish on fuel. So far my thought are ford kuga, Vw Tiguan, anyone tow with these combinations?

ROG

Visit site
Thank you ROG :)

Can you recommend a tow car that can tow 2200-2500kg ish, full towing license so no restrictions there. Will be my everyday car for commuting so needs to be reliable and goodish on fuel. So far my thought are ford kuga, Vw Tiguan, anyone tow with these combinations?
Not my bag - suggest asking on main forum

Dwhalley78185

Visit site
Hi good morning ROG I couldn’t find how to contact you
I’m looking for some help Iv been given a trailer from my friend it’s a HB505 I don’t have a B+E licence or the money at the moment to sit one.
I see there is ways round this as my pony only weighs say 300kg max can I tow with a smaller vehicle to get it under 3500kg like a Estate or a kuga
What cars would you recommend for the job?
and am I better to get the trailer down plated I’m not sure on the MAM I’m going to look today can I do this ?
@ROG

ROG

Visit site
Hi good morning ROG I couldn’t find how to contact you
I’m looking for some help Iv been given a trailer from my friend it’s a HB505 I don’t have a B+E licence or the money at the moment to sit one.
I see there is ways round this as my pony only weighs say 300kg max can I tow with a smaller vehicle to get it under 3500kg like a Estate or a kuga
What cars would you recommend for the job?
and am I better to get the trailer down plated I’m not sure on the MAM I’m going to look today can I do this ?
@ROG
HB 505 is 905 empty
Pony weighs 300
Need trail down plated to say 1300 to allow wiggle room for weight
Then need a vehicle which has a max GVW of 2200 and at least a max tow weight of 1300 (most are much more than that)

Contact IW to get trailer down plated from 2340 to 1300
You remove original plate then send it with money (about £50 I think for IW) to IW
IW send you new plate to fix on
Needs metal bit with drill and pop rivet gun

RRM0820

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG,

Wondering if you can advise the suitability of the below combo, will be use to predominantly carry one 16hh horse around 550kg but occasionally take a friend with a horse of a slightly smaller build around 525kg too

I passed my B+E test on Monday :)

Trailer Bateson Ascot
Gross weight 2300
Unladen 925

Car 09 Kia Sorrento 2.5 Manual
The 4 numbers on the VIN plate are as follows:
1-1350
1-1500

Thank you!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Wondering if you can advise the suitability of the below combo, will be use to predominantly carry one 16hh horse around 550kg but occasionally take a friend with a horse of a slightly smaller build around 525kg too

I passed my B+E test on Monday :)

Trailer Bateson Ascot
Gross weight 2300
Unladen 925

Car 09 Kia Sorrento 2.5 Manual
The 4 numbers on the VIN plate are as follows:
1-1350
1-1500

Thank you!
With B+E licence
5640 minus 2640 = 3000
3000 is the max weight your trailer and its load can be
2300 is the max the trailer can be when loaded
We go by the 2300 lower number
2300 minus 925 = 1375
1375 is the max that can be loaded into the trailer
550 + 525 horses = 1075
That leaves 300 spare load for the trailer
PASSING BE.jpg

dial3012

New User
Visit site
I will extract the relevant bits
B+E licemce
Max tow 2000
If trailer empty at 1000 then the max you can load in it is 1000
If trailer empty at 920 then the max you can load in it is 1080

Trailer plated at 2600/2700 is of no relevance because you are limited by the lower 2000 max tow limit
No law or rule to down plate[/QUOTE

dial3012

New User
Visit site
Hi rig
Can you help out , i really confused with all the rules but I was being sensible and I am doing my trailer licence test shortly and will hopefully pass,
Now if I didn’t pass, I would only have a b licence, now I have a Nissan x trail 4x4 with gvw 2090kg, with towing capacity of 2000kg
I will be purchasing a single trailer-mam being 1600kg, unladen 767kg
A horse approximately 500kg
To my reckoning and understanding these complicated confusing rules as everyone has different ideas combining my mam trailer weight (even though trailer won’t be loaded to that) with my gvw of car I would’ve over the 3,500kg if I didn’t have my b+e licence and therefore I would have to down plate my trailer

is this right please please help !!
Thank you

ROG

Visit site
Hi rig
Can you help out , i really confused with all the rules but I was being sensible and I am doing my trailer licence test shortly and will hopefully pass,
Now if I didn’t pass, I would only have a b licence, now I have a Nissan x trail 4x4 with gvw 2090kg, with towing capacity of 2000kg
I will be purchasing a single trailer-mam being 1600kg, unladen 767kg
A horse approximately 500kg
To my reckoning and understanding these complicated confusing rules as everyone has different ideas combining my mam trailer weight (even though trailer won’t be loaded to that) with my gvw of car I would’ve over the 3,500kg if I didn’t have my b+e licence and therefore I would have to down plate my trailer

is this right please please help !!
Thank you
You are spot on
The trailer would need to be down plated to 1400 via contact with the manufacturer (IW in this case I think) which would leave you a max load into the trailer of 633kg (horse only 500 so 133 to spare)