Keiley

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG, please can you help,,,
I have B license and Audi Q3 looking to buy an ifor Williams trailer soon
Here are the weights I have found,
My car has 2 weights 750 and 2000
And a random 505 Iv seen for sale says 920 and 2600
Can I pull something like this or do I need to take the B+E test?
Thankyou in advance

Bob notacob

Visit site
Hi Rog,I have inadvertantly double parked my container ship across the suez canal, Folk are getting a bit miffed. Can you confirm that my B plus E licence was all i needed!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, please can you help,,,
I have B license and Audi Q3 looking to buy an ifor Williams trailer soon
Here are the weights I have found,
My car has 2 weights 750 and 2000
And a random 505 Iv seen for sale says 920 and 2600
Can I pull something like this or do I need to take the B+E test?
Thankyou in advance
I need the GVW weight of the Audi to answer your query - Max authorised mass on the V5 doc or the top of the 4 weights listed on the weight plate usually hidden in a door frame or under the bonnet

It is very likely that you will need to look for a lighter trailer such as a IW 401/3 or Bateson Derby etc

Keiley

New User
Visit site
I need the GVW weight of the Audi to answer your query - Max authorised mass on the V5 doc or the top of the 4 weights listed on the weight plate usually hidden in a door frame or under the bonnet

It is very likely that you will need to look for a lighter trailer such as a IW 401/3 or Bateson Derby etc

Thanks so much for replying, my car weighs 2205

ROG

Visit site
Thanks so much for replying, my car weighs 2205
With a GVW of 2205 on a B licence then the max trailer MAM you can tow is 1295
A Bateson Derby trailer weighs 675 empty and is plated at 1700 but can be down plated for a tenner via contact with Bateson from 1700 to 1295 leaving a max trailer load of 620kg

Keiley

New User
Visit site
With a GVW of 2205 on a B licence then the max trailer MAM you can tow is 1295
A Bateson Derby trailer weighs 675 empty and is plated at 1700 but can be down plated for a tenner via contact with Bateson from 1700 to 1295 leaving a max trailer load of 620kg
Thanks Rog, appreciate your help!

Belacqua

New User
Visit site
Here for the famous towing clinic advice please!

Post '97 B license
Unladen weight of car: 1575
GVW: 2215
Tow capacity: 1650

No idea which bits of that ^ help with my query..

We have one small pony. Is there a lightweight single trailer that we could get that would keep us legal on a B license?

TIA!

ROG

Visit site
Here for the famous towing clinic advice please!

Post '97 B license
Unladen weight of car: 1575
GVW: 2215
Tow capacity: 1650

No idea which bits of that ^ help with my query..

We have one small pony. Is there a lightweight single trailer that we could get that would keep us legal on a B license?

TIA!
Yes there is
Bateson Derby which is 675 empty and can be down plated from 1700 to 1285 leaving a max trailer load of 610kg
Bateson charge a tenner
You contact Bateson
You remove plate and send it with a tenner to Bateson
Bateson send you new plate
You fit new plate
Metal bit drill and pop rivet gun needed

ROG

Visit site
Thank you for the quick and v useful reply! Great to have that option. And I think I finally understand the rules..!
Welcome

Not certain but it may be possible to down plate an IW HB401/3 from 1600 to 1250 and as they are 780 empty that would leave a max trailer load of 470kg
IW charge £50

Another option may be a Cheval liberte single horse trailer

dollymix

Visit site
Hi Rog

posted elsewhere but someone suggested I ask in here... will a Nissan X-Trail 2017, 1.6 be legally able to tow one horse?

Usually hire a IW 511 but would like to buy a Cheval Liberte trailer ideally.

kerb weights, max brake weights... it all blows my mind! Just want to keep the neddy safe!

she is a 15hh Welsh weighing 550kg

I have passed my tow test so no problems there.

Thanks in advance!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog

posted elsewhere but someone suggested I ask in here... will a Nissan X-Trail 2017, 1.6 be legally able to tow one horse?

Usually hire a IW 511 but would like to buy a Cheval Liberte trailer ideally.

kerb weights, max brake weights... it all blows my mind! Just want to keep the neddy safe!

she is a 15hh Welsh weighing 550kg

I have passed my tow test so no problems there.

Thanks in advance!
Nissan X Trail Towing Capacity & Weight Limit Information ?  
Most have a 1500 max tow limit
Need a trailer which weighs no more than 950 empty

The cheval touring one trailer is
  • Unladen Weight: 750kg
  • Gross Weight: 1600kg

750+550=1300 so well within a 1500 max tow limit

In case you need it to conform to B licence towing it can be down plated from 1600 to 1400 because I think the Xtrail has a GVW of just under 2100

Last edited:

spamiad

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a Mondeo Titanium 2 liter derv car automatic

revenue weight on v5 is 2335 kg gross

and states 2000kg braked towing capacity

i don't currently have a trailer license ( this can be arranged if needed) as i already own the car and its reasonably ecconimcal could i tow one horse safely with this car ?

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a Mondeo Titanium 2 liter derv car automatic

revenue weight on v5 is 2335 kg gross

and states 2000kg braked towing capacity

i don't currently have a trailer license ( this can be arranged if needed) as i already own the car and its reasonably ecconimcal could i tow one horse safely with this car ?
Yes you could tow one horse ok but on your current B licence the trailer would need to be plated at no more than 1165kg MAM
The Bateson Derby trailer is 675 empty and can be down plated to 1165 but that would leave a max trailer load of 490kg so how heavy is your horse?

spamiad

Visit site
Yes you could tow one horse ok but on your current B licence the trailer would need to be plated at no more than 1165kg MAM
The Bateson Derby trailer is 675 empty and can be down plated to 1165 but that would leave a max trailer load of 490kg so how heavy is your horse?

i Rog, shes around 500kg so too much weight there.

out of curiosity how to skoda ocatvia compare for towing, changing my car is and option also

ROG

Visit site
i Rog, shes around 500kg so too much weight there.

out of curiosity how to skoda ocatvia compare for towing, changing my car is and option also
Easily done with Octavia and there is a 4x4 option
Octavia is just under 2000 GVW if memory serves right so using that same Derby trailer plated at 1500 it would leave a max trailer load of 825kg

spamiad

Visit site
Easily done with Octavia and there is a 4x4 option
Octavia is just under 2000 GVW if memory serves right so using that same Derby trailer plated at 1500 it would leave a max trailer load of 825kg

Thanks Rog

Plenty of food for thought there, i will take a look at the Octavia, would be more economical to run than a large 4x4, and parking wont be much of an issue as we have shared parking wear we live.

also, if i tow on a b license within weight and legal of course, will i still need a supervising driver or does that only apply of your towing on L plates over 3.5 mam ?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks Rog

Plenty of food for thought there, i will take a look at the Octavia, would be more economical to run than a large 4x4, and parking wont be much of an issue as we have shared parking wear we live.

also, if i tow on a b license within weight and legal of course, will i still need a supervising driver or does that only apply of your towing on L plates over 3.5 mam ?
B licence you can tow alone

When learning for B+E you need L plates and a supervising driver who has held B+E for at least 3 years and is aged over 21 as well as informing the insurer
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are going to drive it

That Octavia and Derby trailer set up can be used for the B+E test even though it is B compliant BUT you need extra mirrors for the examiner and either a water IBC with 600 litres in it or 600kg of sand bags in the trailer
So you can practice for the test in this set up and then go to a training school for a very short time to familiarise with their set up and do the test in theirs

Last edited:

Bruce17

Visit site
Hi Rog,

This is my current set up with an Xtrail and an IW 505. My husband has a B+E licence but I don't. He hasn't had his licence 3 years yet, so he can't supervise me but he can drive for me. I'm trying to work out if I can tow legally without B+E.

I think, if I've worked out correctly, that I can, but I don't have much spare weight for the horse. Can you confirm please, if you're okay to?

1 - What licence they hold - B or BE: B only
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle: 1580
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle: 2160
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle: 2000
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres: 2340
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer: 905 (ifor 505)

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

This is my current set up with an Xtrail and an IW 505. My husband has a B+E licence but I don't. He hasn't had his licence 3 years yet, so he can't supervise me but he can drive for me. I'm trying to work out if I can tow legally without B+E.

I think, if I've worked out correctly, that I can, but I don't have much spare weight for the horse. Can you confirm please, if you're okay to?

1 - What licence they hold - B or BE: B only
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle: 1580
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle: 2160
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle: 2000
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres: 2340
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer: 905 (ifor 505)

Many thanks
Max limit for B licence is 3500
You have 2160+2340=4500 so 1000 over the B limit

Down plating will not help in this case because even if the trailer could be down plated to 1340 then it would have a max load capacity of 435kg

A Bateson Derby trailer might work for you as it is 675 empty and down plated to 1340 would leave a max trailer load of 665kg

dollymix

Visit site
Nissan X Trail Towing Capacity & Weight Limit Information ?  
Most have a 1500 max tow limit
Need a trailer which weighs no more than 950 empty

The cheval touring one trailer is
  • Unladen Weight: 750kg
  • Gross Weight: 1600kg

750+550=1300 so well within a 1500 max tow limit

In case you need it to conform to B licence towing it can be down plated from 1600 to 1400 because I think the Xtrail has a GVW of just under 2100

there is one I might go to see tomorrow... it is 1.6. Is that going to have enough power to tow with?

ROG

Visit site
Not sure? I thought most are 1500?

How can I find out? Will it be in the log book? I can ask the dealer to look in the book of it will be there?
Max tow weight can be found in 2 places
V5 doc under max tow weight
The weight plate with 4 numbers on it - deduct top number from the number below it

If a manufacturer states a max tow weight then the vehicle will be safe and capable of that under normal circumstances - if it does not then they would be being sued a lot!

If max tow weight says 1500 and horse and trailer together actually weigh say 1400 then there should be no issues
I would always recommend that the vehicle weighs at least as much as what is being towed

dollymix

Visit site
The have asked the dealer to check the Max tow weight in the V5 for me before I drive over.

Hopefully it’ll be ok. It would be to tow one horse (550kg) and I am hoping to hire (long term) a cheval liberte trailer

just want to be safe!

I have passed my towing test so That’s not an issue but we are in North Wales and the A55 has a large hill as you approach England!

ROG

Visit site
The have asked the dealer to check the Max tow weight in the V5 for me before I drive over.

Hopefully it’ll be ok. It would be to tow one horse (550kg) and I am hoping to hire (long term) a cheval liberte trailer

just want to be safe!

I have passed my towing test so That’s not an issue but we are in North Wales and the A55 has a large hill as you approach England!
Cheval touring is 750 plus horse 550 = 1300 so well under a 1500 limit