Well They Say Things Come in 3's....

3Beasties

Visit site
I've owned Missi for nearly 2 years and despite some very interesting behaviour on her part I'd manage to avoid falling off her....until now!

A few weeks ago I fell off at camp. Was no big deal really and in some ways I was relived as NOT falling off had made me really paronoid about coming off and I was stressing about it thinking 'today's the day' every time I got on to ride.

Fast forward to today and I was having a schooling session in the field. I was warming up in walk and she went to spook at something but slipped on the grass, lost her footing and fell over landing on my ankle :eek:

Got back on after checking that she was alright and was just going to have a walk trot and little canter, nothing too much as thought she might be sore. She was going really nicely but then a noisy/massive plane flew over which usually she wouldn't be bothered about but she got upset as the plane seemed to be over us forever so she got more and more agitated. She did her broncy/bucky/reary thing face planting me into her neck (again!!) so I flew backwards, she reared again and I fell off over her @rse. It would have probably been funny had it not hurt so bloody much!! :rolleyes:

I honestly thought I had broken my leg as I felt something 'go' as I was coming off but after rolling around in pain for a while and phoning my mum to come and rescue me (still a mummys girl at heart!) I did manage to compose myself and get to my feet eventually. (After reassuring Mum I was fine she stayed at home!)

Got back on for 5 minutes and then called it a day!

I'm OK just very sore, typically I fell on the same side both times. Ankle and hip giving me the most grief at the moment but I can weight bare OK (Although steps/stairs are interesting!). Missi Moo seems fine too!

What's funny is the same thing happened with my TB 10 years ago, no falls for a year and then had 3 within a few weeks, 2 of which where on the same day!

Pointless post really but I am feeling sorry for myself and trying not to over analyse is all. I'm fine, she's fine, we'll both be fine together.

Please tell me that will be it on the fall front for a while?? :eek:

MochaDun

Visit site
3Bs you're having a right time of it at the moment! - the last thing you need is you broken as well! I landed very heavily on my hip after on a fall on hard ground and had a haematoma in my thigh muscle for weeks - hope you are lucky to avoid that.

Capriole

Visit site
eh you'll probably not come off again for years now :D

(plus, I WISH things only came in threes! I'd be happy with it stopping at three, lol)

3Beasties

Visit site
3Bs you're having a right time of it at the moment! - the last thing you need is you broken as well! I landed very heavily on my hip after on a fall on hard ground and had a haematoma in my thigh muscle for weeks - hope you are lucky to avoid that.

Oh I know MD, I did have thoughts of 'who on earth is going to hold the Charlie for the vet later' as I was rolling around on the floor!!
I hope I avoid that too, sounds very painful :(

eh you'll probably not come off again for years now :D

(plus, I WISH things only came in threes! I'd be happy with it stopping at three, lol)

LOL, I'm having quite a year so far I can assure you, I've ran out of fingers to count on :rolleyes:

Put some Arnica gel on to help bring out the bruising. I had the same happen to me with Hugo last year, when he had no shoes on. xx

I've got some deep heat, didn't think of Arnica gel, will dig some out of the tack room!

Crumpet

Visit site
Have you considered putting the lottery on this Sat, you must be in for a bit of luck surely.
As a horsewoman even with bits in plaster or hanging off, I'm sure you'd still manage the vet visits! We must be made of stern stuff to get voluntarily bashed about by horses and pay for the pain too. Either that or we are all mad!
If you still have sharp/ grinding or unusual pain I'd consider a hospital check, someone I know ruptured her anterior cruciate and both collateral ligaments and was quite prepared initially to put it down to a "twisted knee" the eventual pain kicked in the next day.

JJS

Visit site
What's funny is the same thing happened with my TB 10 years ago, no falls for a year and then had 3 within a few weeks, 2 of which where on the same day!

The same thing happened with me and my old TB mare. I didn't come off her once in the first 18 months, and then came off twice in two days. The first time she put her head down after a jump and pulled me over head head, and the day after she slipped trotting on the road and we went down together. Both of us were fine, and on the bright side it was a while before I fell off again. I lost my mare in May, but four falls and no serious injuries in four and a half years isn't too bad when you think about it! The new boy had me off in under two months!

Embo

Visit site
I fell off yesterday, too! Haha, saw you posted on my thread! Must've been something in the air yesterday lol.

Was no big deal really and in some ways I was relived as NOT falling off had made me really paronoid about coming off and I was stressing about it thinking 'today's the day' every time I got on to ride.

Can relate to this. Exactly how I felt and now am also relieved as was convinced that if I fell off, I would certainly die. I'm not dead and barely hurt, so feeling much more positive :)

Choccies for us, and anyone else unlucky to have involuntarily parted company with their neddies recently :)

Molly'sMama

Visit site
Yes, take it easy and go see a doctor if it lingers don't leave it. I had a heavy fall onto the side of my thigh and I had a 'oh god, I've done serious damage, I've broken my leg I've broken my hip I've broken everything' but waited and got up with everything seemingly fine. But once the adrenaline went down - it was a full on collision and the other rider was unconscious so I had tio walk to catch horses, get her a rug, get the gate for the paramedics - I ended up not being able to walk for two days and I reckon I did a labrum tear, as it still gets stiff and achey, 6 months later. But I didn't see a doctor 'because there's no blood bruising or broken bones'.

Try not to put hot things on ice! It feels nice but it swells it more. Ice is what you need immediately after [[too late now but for future reference ... I put a heatbag on and it felt great but didn't fix anything..]][

atropa

Visit site
Ouch! Poor you :( Well done for getting back on and please consider seeing a doctor if you feel not right!
I'm sure you're not due another one for years now.