Welsh D Canter - HELP!!

soulfull

Visit site
You my friend, have just described her to a T. ;) She has over-reacted to things when she doesn't like it by rearing (broke my leg earlier this year) but she has only threatened three times and has been met with a telling off before she went up.. she didn't try after, will try and if I feel she is going to threaten I'll stop.

When she is jumping her canter is like a "normal" horse's canter - balanced and collected!

Lol. Can you tell I've had a few welshies. :)

If she only half threatens to rear and you feel you can put hands forward, scratch her neck then ask again

If after several times she still threatens to go up thurn her in tight circles.
Stand let her relax then try to go back again

What ever you do don't forget to praise her for any little try. Welshies have an inbred sense of fairness and despite their temper tantrums love being praised and will try twice as hard for you

Tern

Visit site
What ever you do don't forget to praise her for any little try. Welshies have an inbred sense of fairness and despite their temper tantrums love being praised and will try twice as hard for you

Oh most definitely - She goes on the bit in trot consistently now just because I repeat good girl when she is down and when she isn't I ask then when she accepts I say good girl.. she aims to please when she's in a working mood. ;)

soulfull

Visit site
Oh most definitely - She goes on the bit in trot consistently now just because I repeat good girl when she is down and when she isn't I ask then when she accepts I say good girl.. she aims to please when she's in a working mood. ;)

:) bless her. You will get there! I would also keep the canters short and on a 20m circle. Make sure you aren't leaning forward. Once you get a few strides of nice canter don't be afraid to use your leg to push her into your hand.
She may rush off from the leg at first, again stop back up and go again. She will figure it out

Goldenstar

Visit site
You my friend, have just described her to a T. ;) She has over-reacted to things when she doesn't like it by rearing (broke my leg earlier this year) but she has only threatened three times and has been met with a telling off before she went up.. she didn't try after, will try and if I feel she is going to threaten I'll stop.

When she is jumping her canter is like a "normal" horse's canter - balanced and collected!

Because she is focusing on the jumping and forgetting the canter bit all the time she cantering she is developing the strength and balance in the canter have you tried dotting looks of poles round the school when you school on the flat that might help.
If you concentrate on being completely consistent in the transition always use a mild shoulder in positioning make sure your outside leg is back and give an clear aid from the inside leg then in time the transition in trot will come .
The shoulder in positioning can be used in the canter to correct the balance when you get a bit further on it's really the base for sorting this issue .

Tern

Visit site
Because she is focusing on the jumping and forgetting the canter bit all the time she cantering she is developing the strength and balance in the canter have you tried dotting looks of poles round the school when you school on the flat that might help.
If you concentrate on being completely consistent in the transition always use a mild shoulder in positioning make sure your outside leg is back and give an clear aid from the inside leg then in time the transition in trot will come .
The shoulder in positioning can be used in the canter to correct the balance when you get a bit further on it's really the base for sorting this issue .

Sorry for late reply, I haven't tried dotting poles around as she jumps canter poles - another issue needed to be worked on. ;) I will make sure today we get the shoulder in even if just in walk (she's a very looong horse who doesn't really "bend") so we can go from there. :)

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I have been there with my mare as well - another Welsh x! I struggled and struggled to work on her canter in the school, and never seemed to be getting anywhere. My mare was a bit of a late starter - came to me at 10yo, and spent the first 3 years being unrideable and then being a broody.

So for right or wrong, I gave up for a while! I went and did some endurance rides, and I did a lot of canter work in preparation. I am moderately local to a beach, so I would box up and do canter work on the beach. (two things here - loading and travelling practice, and then canter work at the beach!). I did a few months of nothing but cantering in straight lines and getting my mare really really fit and strong. When we went back to the school, the difference was amazing - so much so we actually did out first elementary at the weekend and got 7's and 8's for our collected canter :)

My mare is now nearly 18 - and this last 18 months I have done literally nothing but concentrate on this mare to get her to canter nicely! Trust me - you will have a lot more blood, sweat and tears before you get there yet - but it will be worth it! :D :D

xx

Tern

Visit site
I have been there with my mare as well - another Welsh x! I struggled and struggled to work on her canter in the school, and never seemed to be getting anywhere. My mare was a bit of a late starter - came to me at 10yo, and spent the first 3 years being unrideable and then being a broody.

So for right or wrong, I gave up for a while! I went and did some endurance rides, and I did a lot of canter work in preparation. I am moderately local to a beach, so I would box up and do canter work on the beach. (two things here - loading and travelling practice, and then canter work at the beach!). I did a few months of nothing but cantering in straight lines and getting my mare really really fit and strong. When we went back to the school, the difference was amazing - so much so we actually did out first elementary at the weekend and got 7's and 8's for our collected canter :)

My mare is now nearly 18 - and this last 18 months I have done literally nothing but concentrate on this mare to get her to canter nicely! Trust me - you will have a lot more blood, sweat and tears before you get there yet - but it will be worth it! :D :D

xx

Thank you. :) i can Imagine there will be a LOT more tears and sweat.. hopefully not too much blood. ;)

Under-the-radar

Visit site
Thank you. :) i can Imagine there will be a LOT more tears and sweat.. hopefully not too much blood. ;)

lol - obviously your mare is more pleasant than mine! :p

My girl is a bit of a late bloomer, and this year we have done RC camp, qualified for Petplans and BD Regionals, qualified for the RC nationals, took part in quadrille and done our first elementary. It can be done - you just need to be more stubborn (even if your horse doesn't know it and she thinks it is all her own idea - top tip there!!) than your mare is :D :D

Tern

Visit site
lol - obviously your mare is more pleasant than mine! :p

My girl is a bit of a late bloomer, and this year we have done RC camp, qualified for Petplans and BD Regionals, qualified for the RC nationals, took part in quadrille and done our first elementary. It can be done - you just need to be more stubborn (even if your horse doesn't know it and she thinks it is all her own idea - top tip there!!) than your mare is :D :D

Ahh but she is also very stubborn and shall throw a strop when I win - it's quite funny to be honest. :D but yes, If I make her think it's her idea then she'll cooperate - bit like my Father! ;)

soulfull

Visit site
Sorry for late reply, I haven't tried dotting poles around as she jumps canter poles - another issue needed to be worked on. ;) I will make sure today we get the shoulder in even if just in walk (she's a very looong horse who doesn't really "bend") so we can go from there. :)

You could be talking about my mare. She is long and jumps canter poles. However if I keep her nice and calm and walk over them, then trot (rewarding her when she doesn't jump them) then we can canter over them. (Doesn't always work but mostly it does)

Tern

Visit site
You could be talking about my mare. She is long and jumps canter poles. However if I keep her nice and calm and walk over them, then trot (rewarding her when she doesn't jump them) then we can canter over them. (Doesn't always work but mostly it does)

Will remember this!

Little Update: Today we did a bit of schooling in the 'field' and it came to canter.. I took her to walk and let her do a few steps of trot before asking to canter on the right rein then once in a nice collected canter went for about two strides, brought her back to walk and patted.. left rein was a bit more difficult as I found out.. so brought her back to walk and then really over-exaggerated by canter aids from a few steps of trot and had a nice collected canter on the right leg (eek!) and then took her back to walk and patted - left it there after that. :)

soulfull

Visit site
Will remember this!

Little Update: Today we did a bit of schooling in the 'field' and it came to canter.. I took her to walk and let her do a few steps of trot before asking to canter on the right rein then once in a nice collected canter went for about two strides, brought her back to walk and patted.. left rein was a bit more difficult as I found out.. so brought her back to walk and then really over-exaggerated by canter aids from a few steps of trot and had a nice collected canter on the right leg (eek!) and then took her back to walk and patted - left it there after that. :)

Well it's a step in the right direction. Just keep building it up

Tiffus

New User
Visit site
I know I'm a bit late to the party... But so glad I have found this post. 1 yr on and still having canter issues with my welshyX mare

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
Not sure if this is helpful but our chiro advised me to canter him on the lunge with a pessoa (short sessions only) to help him find his balance in canter. Mine is a 7 year old Welsh D.

Lyle

Visit site
One rein stops- start by teaching how to flex to the halter then bit from the ground. Work up to flexing under saddle, left and right. She should be light as a feather. walk a few steps, sit deep, count to three, slide hand down the rein and pull it back lightly to your hip. Work up to doing this at the walk, trot and then canter. Only allow her to travel a few strides at each pace before asking her to stop. You want to change her mindset from onward bound, to
'gosh, this lady is gonna ask me stop in a second, better get ready'. Build the length of time before stopping in each pace up. How is she in trot, if you have no contact? will she simply trot along in a pretty steady rhythm, or does she tend to rocket onwards and get faster and faster? Once she's good at the ORS, teach her to cruise in the trot, then in the canter. Miles under their feet. I've got a 15.2hh Welsh D who I backed and is under saddle about 3 months. He's still in a rope hackamore because I havent had his wolf teeth removed yet, but the above exercise was the first thing he learnt after the first initial few rides walk/trot/canter now stuff. He will now cruise at the walk/trot/canter all day long, not breaking up or down, so he canters slow (for a Welshie) because I may just keep him cantering a loong time! I'm currently retraining an 8yo who sounds just like your mare. Slow and steady, lots of stop. She's getting there, only been back in work 3 weeks. She's had 4 years off since she was backed, so is quite weak.

AFB

Visit site
After trotting her for 30mins straight I thought she'd be tired enough to try a bit of canter.. boy was I wrong - she was full of beans still...

I can't offer any advice that will help in a few days, but you will NEVER tire out a D :D mines been out for 7 hours (5 miles hacking each way for 5 hours dragging) and still stormed home! Duracell bunnies in horse form.

Tiffus

New User
Visit site
Not sure if this is helpful but our chiro advised me to canter him on the lunge with a pessoa (short sessions only) to help him find his balance in canter. Mine is a 7 year old Welsh D.
Turns out mine had mild arthritis in her hocks, making it painful to engage her rear, she has just had stem cell treatment ????

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
Turns out mine had mild arthritis in her hocks, making it painful to engage her rear, she has just had stem cell treatment ????
Oh, that’s spooky so did mine! Let us know how the stem cell treatment goes.
Mine has had his hocks medicated and is now shod with lateral extensions on his hinds. He’s doing well so far.

Tiffus

New User
Visit site
Oh, that’s spooky so did mine! Let us know how the stem cell treatment goes.
Mine has had his hocks medicated and is now shod with lateral extensions on his hinds. He’s doing well so far.
On day 15 of rehab atm still working in walk, will let you know, although secretly dreading our first canter just in case ? it's a way off yet.
Glad yours is doing well ☺️