Welsh Section D's .. tell me about the breed :-)

Bedford Joy

Visit site
I would like to know more about the breed as a whole, and through the experiences of owners or breeders. I have ridden a section D mare who was 22 and she was a super safe hacking pony. Her owner also had a gelding who was very strong and stubborn so very different to the mare.

I would be very interested in hearing your experiences of the breed and especially from anyone who has bred and broken in their own youngster, how were they to work with?

I have heard that they are mostly strong and stubborn but I was hoping this was a stereotype and that there are many exceptions to this. Thank you.

maisie06

Visit site
Screw loose - I would never have another one. They are not the good allrounders they used to be, think of mini, quirky warmbloods, I think breeding for the showring has ruined them.

TrasaM

Visit site
I've had frequent run-ins with one at the riding school I go to. Stubborn and inclined to hissy fits when he's either refused point blank to move..to full on bronking sessions. He's not like this with everyone but him and I seem to clash badly. I've not had him for a lesson in ages ..wonder why lol. I suspect he does not enjoy his job and not sure if his back is ok although school insists he's sound. However when he's good he can be very good and jumps nicely. Can't be doing with all that drama though.

Bigbenji

Visit site
Well I can only speak from the ones I've come across but I love them!

They are beyond intelligent and I think this can be why so many people have problems with them. Give an inch and they will take a mile, ask questions and they will want to know why but I've found as long as you treat them fairly they will give 110%.

I think people can underestimate how clever and sensitive they are. They can come across as a bit in your face but normally a right softy under it all.

Last edited:

nervous nelly

Visit site
have known and ridden 3
First was an angel couldn't wish for a quieter horse the second two both from nebo lines (both very interbred) both had a screw loose one needed putting down to be honest had a real nasty streak in the stable/ field and when ridden and very nearly killed my friend the mare for no reason went sideways through a stone wall then tried to stand on my friend once she had gotten her in the floor she did the same trick when she ditched me one day. would never touch the breed with a barge pole again.

The mare was lovely until she got to know a new home was fine when she was bought was at the yard for 3 months then turned moved yards to a field and again was fine for a few months then turned she would bully others in the field and was awful to handle in the stable at time, other times she was a dream in the stable but very unpredictable not a nice horse at all

I personally think there are so many of the breed bred with Nebo lines that the gene pool is so small they are very interbred and it has done some serious damage to the breed shame really as some of them are beautiful horses

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Lol at the screw lose comment!

I have one... now he was badly treated I think in a past life and due to being in a riding school that I got him from probably hasn't been exposed properly

He is now 17 so seems to have touch wood matured a bit but can still be a s*d to catch, is very spooky, prone to knobbing in the stable (nothing nasty but will go spinning round it if startled to the point old yo couldn't catch him some days to turn out- but then this was usually when the weather was bad)

While he has never bucked or reared, he is very sharp in that he will notice if a jump has had a pole moved and if it's spooky will stop or cat leap. Also the sort that if there is a lighter patch of sand will stop and snort at it. Also very routine obsessed and hates change- almost autistic.

He is though not at all nasty, doesn't buck or rear or bite, capable of going very nicely when ridden, does do that D trot but usually when running away from you in the field or spooking out hacking.

Also capable of jumping 1m courses, probably more when younger if I were less chicken though his spookiness hinders him, he can also be generous to me when jumping, e.g. I made him wrong to a spread the other day and he still tried to jump it for me and won't try and buck you off in protest. But then other times will stop just because a pole has moved. You have to be one step ahead of him and he is usually several steps ahead already!

Battytwoll

Visit site

They are beyond intelligent and I think this can be why so many people have problems with them. Give an inch and they will take a mile, ask questions and they will want to know why but I've found as long as you treat them fairly they will give 110%.

I think people can underestimate how clever and sensitive they are. They can come across as a bit in your face but normally a right softy under it all.
^^^^ this! my share mare is the most honest and true horse; however she "tolerates" me at best but I trust her, she is a horse in a million

RockinRudolph

Visit site
Mine is now 10 - had him from a 3 year old. He is a typical D! Sharp, spooky, often feels like a coiled spring, used to be very difficult to hack out alone but much better with that now. I don't do much in the school and this is where he pitches against me - it's almost like 'well I can do it, but you're going to have to try damn hard to make me'! It's like he's reading me all the time and totally agree with the 'give one inch he takes a mile' comment above. If you keep persevering he will let up and work nicely, it's just a case of who gives in first!

But he is the friendliest, cheekiest person on the yard. He is always up to something and causing trouble! He is fun to own, and I wouldn't swop him, but I am waiting for the day when he 'grows up'. Went for a hack today with some friends and he was all over the place - leaping sideways, darting about, jogging, spooking, the lot but I'm used to it I guess.

Never a dull moment with a D!

_GG_

Visit site

This^^^

There are of course exceptions to every rule, but in general, when you get one on side, you will have a horse that would walk off a cliff for you.

They can be stubborn, opinionated, in fact much like many HHO ladies, lol. ;)

But work out how yours ticks and you'll never look back :)

Boulty

Visit site
I've had one partbred and currently got a full sec d. First was an absolute saint, all around nicest horse I've ever met and would do anything for anyone as long as you asked in the right way. Yes he did have his quirks in that he could be a sod to catch and if a rock moved / something was different he would spook at it for months and he had proper little hissy fits if he wasn't allowed to gallop across fields (and could get strong with it) but he's the only horse I've ever felt confident I could put into any situation (up to and including riding past / through building sites!) and come out the other end alive.

Current horse can be summed up as rude, annoying and a drama queen. Can't bear to be in the same stable block as you and be ignored (if you do he behaves like a spoilt toddler), can't possibly put up with anything he doesn't like for longer than 10 minutes without having a temper tantrum (given that he usually starts rearing when asking nicely doesn't work it's a little hard to win this one without risking life and limb), can be both ridiculously spooky (often at thin air and with zero warning) and remarkably bombproof (often in the same ride he can freak out at a bird and ignore a bin lorry and a friendly donkey) and if most definitely more intelligent than his poor owner (and relishes every opportunity to show this off!) He has a rather unhealthy amount of Nebo Black Magic thrown into his family tree on both sides which i guess accounts for the ADHD like tendencies!

suffolkmare

Visit site
Have to agree with a lot of things mentioned! The small chestnut "Nebo" descendent that I used to ride was lovely... cheeky, clever, and mostly loads of fun! He would play catch-me-if-you-can, waiting till you got really close before scarpering, but when he finally allowed himself to be caught was a gentleman, except for washing his feet. He'd dance about if you tried to hose or sponge his legs, then when owners young granddaughter came to brush him, let her put his foot in a bucket of water, :D He was ride & drive, super on the roads, fun to hack (but didn't like cows) and hated schooling so I think they generally (don't shoot me down) find arena work boring and prefer to be out and about. He lived till he was 30 and is much missed, RIP Alfie. PS do all sec D's like ice cream?;) PPS My boy is welsh x...

Last edited:

babymare

Visit site
As with any breed often the handling of early years reflects loads. But my experience is they are incredbly intelligent. Can take the mick if you allow but ifyou have a good set of consistent rules that intelligence can be funnelled to your gain :) But oh yes if they can push boundaries an inch they will. Quite opininated to :). But I love them and if I ever horse hunt again it would be a D on top of list :)

Patterdale

Visit site
They're like collie dogs. Very intelligent, very loyal if you get them on-side, but sensitive and difficult if you upset them.

Mine is rising 5 and he's lovely. Was unhandled until 2 and can be nervy around men, OH cant do anything with him, even catch him in the stable, but like GG says, he'd walk off a cliff for me if I asked him (not that I would!).
I'm not riding him now as I'm pregnant but a friends been on him now and then, he can go a month with no riding then go for a hack no problems, no lunging. He's never bucked, ever, not even on the lunge during backing.

He lives out fully clipped in a medium rug and doesn't need any hard feed or even hay (he's in a big field). He's unshod and hasn't had a trim for 4 months now. He is the ultimate in easy to keep, loyal, nice to ride, willing - just an all round good egg.

I originally bought him to sell but I suspect he'll be with me for life now :)

But I do think that in the wrong hands he would have been a total nightmare.

Foxy O

Visit site
I rode a friends a few times and she was lovely, very intelligent but just loved to go out for a hack, happy to be caught and handled, loved the attention.

Tia0513

Visit site
I've had three and they are all lovely cobs. All of ours are/were Section Ds. My brother's we have had from 5years old & he will be 20 this year, my previous one was only with us for a couple of years but he is the one horse I would actively seek to have back if I could afford two of my own (this was the reason he was sold as I wanted a foal) and my mums current one is 4 this year and we have had him from 5 months. All three are lovely, very affectionate and very clever.

I went to have a look at a small local show last night which is just starting up and I would say there were about 9 welshes which were just taking the little kids round, Sections Cs mostly with one B and one D. The kids were having a blast.

Ruth17

Visit site
They're like collie dogs. Very intelligent, very loyal if you get them on-side, but sensitive and difficult if you upset them.

Mine is rising 5 and he's lovely. Was unhandled until 2 and can be nervy around men, OH cant do anything with him, even catch him in the stable, but like GG says, he'd walk off a cliff for me if I asked him (not that I would!).
I'm not riding him now as I'm pregnant but a friends been on him now and then, he can go a month with no riding then go for a hack no problems, no lunging. He's never bucked, ever, not even on the lunge during backing.

He lives out fully clipped in a medium rug and doesn't need any hard feed or even hay (he's in a big field). He's unshod and hasn't had a trim for 4 months now. He is the ultimate in easy to keep, loyal, nice to ride, willing - just an all round good egg.

I originally bought him to sell but I suspect he'll be with me for life now :)

But I do think that in the wrong hands he would have been a total nightmare.

I have both a collie and a d gelding rising 5!

My boy had come from a big farm in terms of acreage so although handled needed to learn some boundaries and manners. Had we not done that we would have had 500kg of obnoxious muscle on our hands which is very dangerous. However he is the sweetest boy in the world in terms of his nature and very brave, not spooky. Angel to catch.

I think early handling is MASSIVE in any breed but esp those who have strong personalities like Welsh cobs. Age that over and inter breeding seems to play a part. A good well handled D can be a total novice ride but one that's been allowed to get away with things can be plain dangerous. I have encountered both, with the dangerous one really not being right in the head (no sense of self preservation and had panic attacks, not a good combo).

They are still the great all rounders but I would always check their pedigree to ovoid the interbred ones. often means getting one from a smaller hobby stud than the famous ones.

Tally-lah

Visit site
I've always had a soft spot for them since I helped to back a youngster when I was fifteen. He had so much personality and became a real friend. His owner found him too strong and hated how intelligent he was so, after about a year, decided to sell him. She offered me first refusal but I already had three and decided I couldn't take on another. Worst decision I have made, I still regret it to this day.

I bought my section D mare last year, on a bit of an impulse. She was 8yrs old but hadn't done much and been passed round a number of homes. Her previous owner felt she was too sharp and wanted to find a home for life for her, basically she was a typical welsh d.

She came to me stubborn and bolshy. Would try to drag you across the yard if she saw something she wanted to inspect, napped badly on hacks and, if she didn't like something she would nip. Oh, she was also a sod having her bridle on. BUT within a month she was already a different horse. She hacks alone or in company, never naps, is perfect to lead, just beautiful manners all round and stands very nicely to be tacked up. I am hoping to start doing some xc with her this year.

Basically, they are intelligent and learn fast. If you don't get their respect they will (literally) walk all over, but get them on side and you'll have your horse of a lifetime!

Equi

Visit site
I have a welsh D but hes not purebred, but has most of the attributes. He is the most honest, reliable, intelligent, respectful and silly horse i have ever known. He is only on loan, but i can't see him ever leaving me (id fight for him! lol)

My friend has a purebred welsh, and he is a little more stubborn and bolshy but still really nice. Hes stunning in show condition.

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
I bought my part bred rising 3 yr old from a friend who also has her dam and grand dam (I used to ride her dam) so I know her breeding. My friend hacked both out the other day ponying the older one off the other, was quite a sight around the village. Yes I agree in general (and I have also known relaxed plods) they are very intelligent and hot headed (ie you can't shout and lose it and expect them to cooperate, but with mine wow she is very forward thinking and loves to learn and being a mare its taken over a year to develop that bond. Extremely rewarding! I have gone from arabs to sec ds and love them, as was looking for something a bit more hardy with more bone. They have the spirit I like and as im used to sharp sensitive forward going types we get along just fine.

eahotson

Visit site
I bought one after a sharp and spooky Highland ruined my confidence.I nearly didn't go and see Red as he was Welsh and with the reputation they seem to have.He is an absolute sweetheart and has been since day 1.We did have a Thorneyside one on the yard for a couple of years.He didn't have a bad bone in his body BUT he was very sensitive and had a very novice badly balanced owner and that ended very badly.

EllenJay

Visit site

This completely. I have had my boy for 15 years. In that time I have shown him, to a reasonable level, sj, xc, dressage, hacked, sponsored rides and raced. If I lead him he is a dope on a rope, if a stranger takes his lead rope, he drags them all over the place. They test you out, and if you are found wanting they will walk all over you. But they have a real sense of what is fair and what isn't.

Best horse I have ever had

Patterdale

Visit site
My next plan is to buy a v good colt foal next year to keep as a stallion with the idea of maybe having a go at breeding. I'm busy having/rearing babies now so by the time the foal is grown ill be ready to start breaking/showing him!
Always wanted a D stallion and so I've decided I'm having one!

soulfull

Visit site
I have both a collie and a d gelding rising 5!

My boy had come from a big farm in terms of acreage so although handled needed to learn some boundaries and manners. Had we not done that we would have had 500kg of obnoxious muscle on our hands which is very dangerous. However he is the sweetest boy in the world in terms of his nature and very brave, not spooky. Angel to catch.

I think early handling is MASSIVE in any breed but esp those who have strong personalities like Welsh cobs. Age that over and inter breeding seems to play a part. A good well handled D can be a total novice ride but one that's been allowed to get away with things can be plain dangerous. I have encountered both, with the dangerous one really not being right in the head (no sense of self preservation and had panic attacks, not a good combo).

They are still the great all rounders but I would always check their pedigree to ovoid the interbred ones. often means getting one from a smaller hobby stud than the famous ones.

This^^^^^. I've had and known quite a few. All those that were shown as youngster by welsh breeders are lovely well mannered cobs. Those that left the welsh community as foals/yearlings are bolshy and bad mannered!

My new mare is a complete saint. I lead her from my mobility scooter even in all this bad weather. To ride she is very forward and sensitive but also a really good girl. While I've been off I've had a couple of novices looking after her and not once has she tested them :)
I wouldn't put a novice rider on her as I think it would scare her
She isn't spooky and gives her all

On the other hand I had one from the same breeder that was sold at 6 months old. He was a nightmare. Bolshy, spooky stubborn git. He did come good but it took me 2 years

I also had one that was totally nuts and evil at 3 as he had been allowed to push owners around. I was too unwell to deal with him so gave him away

Friend and I bought a 2 year old mare from same breeder. We backed her and kept her until she was 8. She is a pretty good. A little cheeky like most but a novice could ride her

Had a wcxtb he was my main horse. He was hard work. Good to handle but stubborn spooky and hated dressage. Could jump when he wanted too but you never knew if he was going over it until you were the other side!

I did say I wouldn't have another welshie. But somehow ended up with current one. They are just such perfect allrounders and perfext size And she is perfect in everyway :):)
In fact just started coming out of her shell and show a little playfulness :)

EstherYoung

Visit site
The lady I used to ride for had a bit of an addiction, she had several Okeden Ds and a part bred - she always bought from Dr June as she knew Dr June knew her onions when it came to breeding rideable horses. They were all very different in personality. None were neurotic though, all were safe and consistent and fun to be around.

Then when I was looking at buying Wolfie, I took his Welsh dam's pedigree to my friend and asked her what she thought. Without a moment's hesitation she said 'this is the real deal, buy him'.

Wolf is one of the most trainable horses I have ever worked with, but that is a double edged sword. I have accidentally taught him a few things I shouldn't have, and I am fully aware that he is training me too.

Some useful pieces of advice I've been given about Ds:

1) They need consistent boundaries
2) Treat them like you would an Arab or a TB. They are sensitive and do take things that go wrong personally.
3) They tend to be one person horses.
4) Did I mention the boundaries?

MAggie09

Visit site

A million times this - if your fair, firm and consistent with them I can't think of anything better.

I've got two, the oldest is now 20, I've owned him since he was two, unknown breeding, he was a handful when he was young but has settled down a lot. He's clever enough to know who is riding him and behaves accordingly - for the children who occasionally ride he is steady as a rock, when I get on him even the leaves in the hedge are pony eating monsters!

The second I've only had sixth months, he was bought to replace the ex racer I had bought - he takes far more riding than the TB, you constantly have to be alert to the tiniest things - hacking him out is exhausting! He is ridiculously well bred (obscenely inbred also) however and he moves like a dream - piaffes for fun so hopefully we're going to have some fun at the dressage!

Undecided

Visit site
Depends on how you treat and train them :) My first horse was a welsh d, bombproof to hack, school and jump but wouldn't leave the starting box out xc, he was fine once we had a little "discussion" ;) he had Nebo bloodlines, Rio has Derwen bloodlines but to be honest I can never tells whether its the arab, warmblood or cob coming through each day ;) I'd love another welshie or at least a part bred in the future. I find that most horses, with the od exception as some here have mentioned, treated with enough respect and set the correct rules from early on will turn out fine :)

Pigeon

Visit site
The ones I've known have all been a little (okay, a lot) crazy. Some people like that though!!

I agree they are very intelligent, think horse equivalent of Border Collie. I'm not sure I like owning horses that are smarter than me though! (our oldie is, and he's so adept at untying himself and opening doors that he's never where I leave him...)

risky business

Visit site
Very clever, sharp, energetic, stubborn and opinionated.

But they will turn their hoof to anything and try there heart out! Very brave and willing but you have to be clear about what you want from them as I find them sensitive.

My welsh mare I owned 6 years and she could jump huge fences both sj and xc , such a brave heart with nerves of steel! Liked to go everywhere at 100mph, schooling was a chore for her, was stubborn and had opinions on how she thought she should be worked! Perfect on roads and hacking apart from the 100mph thing..Total sweetheart on the ground would trust her with swarms of children and allowed you to do anything to her no problems! Not a very affectionate horse but was resposive to your asks. Not a nasty bone in her body...

Only sold her due to career, saying that I think I would go for a more laid back breed if I bought another horse. They are fun but bloody frustrating all the same.

Last edited: