Welshies with Parc bloodlines. Temperament?

Muddywellies

Visit site
Does anyone have a 'Parc' Welshie. What's the temperament like? Are they as daft as Nebo Black Magic lines? I am told the more NBM there is in the breeding, the more silly they can be. The one I'm looking at, I can only see NBH once in its breeding. (my current Welshie has NBM five times in her breeding and sure enough, as wonderful as she is, she can be as daft as a box of frogs)

Nari

Visit site
I've got a fair bit of both in mine's bloodlines, here are links to his dam and sire on allbreeds https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gwarcoed+queen+of+hearts and https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/tyreos+more+magic

I wouldn't say he was daft or silly, but he can be sensitive and take things far too much to heart. He's quick too, everything he does is at double speed - well except for thinking, that often seems to be lagging behind and can lead him to get a bit flustered and in a dither. With a calm confident person he's an utterly charming sweetheart, and pretty as a picture.

palo1

Visit site
My mare has Parc breeding but that was 7 generations ago on her Sire's side!! She also has some Nebo on the Sire's side 5 generations ago. On her dams side she only has a tiddly bit of Nebo breeding 7 or 8 generations ago. She is a Maesmynach bred 3 y/o and so far is cool as a cucumber though with plenty of Welsh fire just no real daftness!! :)

Annagain

Visit site
NBM was my boy's grandsire and his other grandsire was a half brother to NBM :rolleyes:. His grandams were half sisters too! We did lots of going sideways and backwards and standing on back legs but purely because he was very excitable, there wasn't a shred of malice in him. He was never spooky or nappy and was completely bombproof. He was silly but not naughty. He was exceptionally safe, hard as nails and had the heart of a lion.

JJS

Visit site
Flower has quite a bit of Nebo and Parc on her sire’s side, and she’s a real diva, which definitely doesn’t come from her dam. She’s very bold, charming, and incredibly affectionate, but full of fire and with a mind of her own.

Smiffypig

Visit site
Mines got Parc, Thorneyside and a dash of Nebo.

He’s...special.

loves people, will follow you round the field all day if your in there with him, can be horribly jealous of other horses (will have a teeth barred fighting match with the other horse if I’ve walked two to the field at the same time).

absolutely steady as a rock out hacking on our own - complete loon when in company, it’s like having others to keep an eye out for the horse eating monsters gives him leave to vacate his brain.

he can do anything - jumping, dressage, haven’t evented cos I’m a wimp but he’d do it, stands like an old Shetland pony for the kids to brush him (also gives out hugs to his favourite people)

his absolute favourite activity (much to our yard owners delight) is hooning round the field and skidding to a stop...investigating the 20ft ridges he’s just created in his field and then running off with a snort to do the same thing somewhere else - no joke, he does this for entertainment, the yard have messaged me videos of him doing it randomly during the day.

He has such a big personality he puts people off at times but once he’s decided you’re ok then he’s your best friend.

he’s definitely sharper/more silly than other welsh I’ve had, how much of that’s his breeding and how much is his personality is difficult to say.

TwiggyL

Visit site
My pony’s grandsire is parc marvel so he has parc model and parc welsh flyer in there too and more further back. He is a bit quirky and often grumpy (could be circumstances rather than breeding) but sweet, very bold and brave. And very very handsome. He has many taught kids to jump and a 13 year old currently rides him. A generally good boy :)

Kat

Visit site
I used to share a Parc Welsh D

He was lovely, an absolute star to hack, great fun to ride. A little sh1t to catch. Very pretty too.

Muddywellies

Visit site
So I've had a mixed response here. After my current Nebo horse, and with me not getting any younger, I'd like one a little quieter and not such a drama queen!

PSD

Visit site
I was waiting for someone to say that. I adore Welshies, and 'get' them (well, as far as you can ;-)). I couldn't imagine having anything else. Would just rather go for a slightly quieter bloodline if it exists :)

I know it was only a tongue in cheek comment. I love welshies too they’re a fantastic breed, I think it’s pot luck with them though temperament wise

palo1

Visit site
I am no expert but my Maesmynach bred mare has an outstanding temperament; plenty of 'go' and bold and confident but very very sweet and trainable too. I headed for that particular breeding because they are well proven as ridden horses (rather than purely showing types) but even so I wasn't expecting a Welshie to be so 'on side'!! In some ways that is a bit unnerving but she is young yet...!! (4 yo) I really don't want to jinx things but so far she has shown a wonderful aptitude for being started and ridden away - if I could afford it I would have another like a shot!! :)

blodwyn1

Visit site
My best mare is out of kentchurch rhapsody and is amazing but she develpped cushings at 14 and had to retire.she is now 21 and looks good but i know she would drop condition if brought back into work. The two that followed one broke my back and the next one put me in hospital for a month. I so wish i had retired with my best mare!

DirectorFury

Visit site
I am no expert but my Maesmynach bred mare has an outstanding temperament; plenty of 'go' and bold and confident but very very sweet and trainable too. I headed for that particular breeding because they are well proven as ridden horses (rather than purely showing types) but even so I wasn't expecting a Welshie to be so 'on side'!! In some ways that is a bit unnerving but she is young yet...!! (4 yo) I really don't want to jinx things but so far she has shown a wonderful aptitude for being started and ridden away - if I could afford it I would have another like a shot!! :)

This has been my experience with my Maesnewydd (Maesmynach bred) mare. The ‘on side’ aspect will wear off slightly around 9 and they get more opinionated ;).

If I’m ever in a position to get another I’ll definitely be going for one from the same stud.

palo1

Visit site
That is fine - I have had the same with other horses DirectorFury; they suddenly realise that they have all the confidence in the world and that your word is not necessarily law!!:p:p I really quite enjoy that awakening tbh - thankfully by then I usually feel that I know the horse well enough not to be too unnerved and I do love a horse to have an independent mind; sometimes that is what keeps us in the saddle!! I love the relationship that is possible with a confident, mature horse - as long as the right manners have been instilled at an early age...:)