Went for a great hack around Hyde Park, London, yesterday.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Back in the mists of time (c1979) I’ve done that 🙂. Unfortunately I can’t remember which stables it was, but it was defo Hyde Park we went to.

The horses seem to be attached in pairs by a lead rein clipped to the saddle d’s on one horse and then to the bit on the other horse? Is that so?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Looks like a staff member to me (on a phone) leading the other rider.
Which is not a good look while riding across the road in central London whether she is a punter or a member of staff 😳. The guy has just one hand on the reins. Hmm. ETA That’s not you, is it PN, have I put my foot in it again, oops?

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
The horses seem to be attached in pairs by a lead rein clipped to the saddle d’s on one horse and then to the bit on the other horse? Is that so?
I think you are right but not sure why? The riders being led don't look like beginners. They look perfectly OK to be on those sort of horses walking.
I wonder what happens to the "lead ropes" if/when they trot and canter.
The phone is not a good look. :rolleyes:

SEL

Visit site
I've ridden round Hyde Park. Every client gets taken on the lead from the stables to the park. I believe it's 1) to make sure you can actually ride and 2) something insurance related. I was a bit insulted at the time but once we were off the road I was released - & to be fair they'd never met me before (the ride was a gift)

Was a great experience for anyone thinking of having a go. No phones when I went!

teapot

Visit site
I think you are right but not sure why? The riders being led don't look like beginners. They look perfectly OK to be on those sort of horses walking.
I wonder what happens to the "lead ropes" if/when they trot and canter.
The phone is not a good look. :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure if you hack from Hyde Park stables, they don't even contemplate a canter! A lifelong rider acquaintance I know went and didn't get to!

Not sure that photo gives off the best vibes, especially not with that bent peacock iron being used for an adult!

teapot

Visit site
had a look on there and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price for an hours hack and teapot reckons you don't get to canter.

HPS has already been around three figures for a hack!

In all honestly, unless you went at the crack of dawn, cantering in Hyde Park would be more akin to repeatedly dodging tourists getting in your way. Not my idea of fun!

Northern Hare

Visit site
I used to really enjoy riding in Hyde Park, and elsewhere in Central London (sometimes riding and leading 😊 to get the horses exercised). It was when the Civil Service Riding Club were lucky enough to stable their horses at The Royal Mews so that the horses could also be used by the RDA Group. Exercising the horses early mornings in Hyde Park before heading to work was a real treat. In the summer, we used to have SJ lessons on the paddock in front of Kensington Palace. Looking back on it, it was a really amazing experience. Also, you could be fined by the Park Rangers for going any faster than a "hand canter" in Hyde Park. Surprisingly, the Park is not as flat as you'd imagine, and particularly Rotten Row is on a decent incline up towards The Royal Albert Hall - on one occasion I remember seeing it and thinking, blimey I'm never going to stop in time!! 😊

respectedpony driver

Visit site
I have ridden around Hyde Park,it was amazing, riding on Rotten Row was great, so much history. We were led at first and then I was let off,the other person who came kept falling off.

Spirit7

Visit site
When I was very young I had a half share pony stabled in Bermondsey and we hacked a couple of times to Horseman’s Sunday at the church off Hyde park, we used to canter rotten row on our own ponies. I’m sure you could still box there and ride your own (traffic, tolerance and cost to consider)

Pippity

Visit site
Wow, what an experience!

Perhaps I will add this to my 2024 riding goals list :)
It's on my bucket list! But I have every intention of doing it in full show gear - velvet hat, tweed jacket, light breeches, etc. Or sidesaddle.

BTW, a friend who's ridden with both recommends Ross Nye over Hyde Park Stables.

paddy555

Visit site
It's on my bucket list! But I have every intention of doing it in full show gear - velvet hat, tweed jacket, light breeches, etc. Or sidesaddle.

BTW, a friend who's ridden with both recommends Ross Nye over Hyde Park Stables.
I had a look at RN, didn't realise it was still going but remember it from an article in Stable Management (anyone remember that mag??) in the 1970's

Lots of pics hopefully on the link below. They canter on Rotten Row.