Went for a great hack around Hyde Park, London, yesterday.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have no idea why one should wear high viz when riding in Hyde Park. I didnt.
High viz for riders is a fairly recent idea. I have high viz for winter but the rides in Hyde Park are a simple circular route. A horse and rider are hardly likely to disappear.
As for RIs using phones on horseback, it is often to provide clients with souvenir pics. I dont do it myself but that is personal choice.
Seatbelts are a fairly recent idea too ...

They absolutely should not be using mobile phones for any reason whilst riding on the highway.

malwhit

Visit site
I rode in Hyde Park over 35 years ago. I am pretty sure there were 2 riding schools that used the park then.

I was amazed at how the horses weren't fazed by anything. The mews where they were housed looked pretty and I loved cantering down Rotten Row. I hated riding through the traffic, even though the horses weren't bothered it.

I used to ride a brown Thoroughbred mare frequently. I can still picture her but can't remember her name.

It was expensive riding there, so we eventually went to Hanwell Riding School, with the odd in jaunt to others including the famous Suzanne's and the less famous Hanwell Riding School 👿

Reactions: SEL

Ceifer

Visit site
a bit of internet stalking reveals that the ride leader does have BHS quals but also that horseback pictures on the road are not uncommon.
Does this person really deserve to have random people stalk them to see who they are and what qualifications they have? I’d be mortified to have my picture put up on a public forum for all and sundry to see and judge.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Tbh I think this is one of the few places where high viz wouldn't really do much - the road sections of the ride are on 20mph stretches and they are very visible, this isn't a bays & chestnuts blending into a country hedge situation.
If you look at the picture the riders blend into the background completely, the horses would too if they weren't grey/coloured.

As a pedestrian in London dodging cyclists, hi Viz makes a massive difference to spotting people, I wish more cyclists would wear it too.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The fact that several people on a horse forum think that hiviz on and off road is not necessary and doesn't do much leaves me rather frustrated. It's there for the benefit of everyone, not least the horse. And if the riding school's insurance decrees that clients should be on a lead rein on the road, then the leaders should have both hands on the reins (not two reins and a rope in one hand) and should never be using their phones. Plenty of photo opportunities in the park I'd think.

Skib

sites.google.com
I wanted to ride there on Rotten Row for historical interest, thanks to Joyce Bellamy.

I rode in Hyde Park twice, once with OH, just part of the circuit with a gentle canter and once on my own when mowing machines near the track at Hyde Park courner prevented us cantering, so we just trotted. I rode from Ross Nye Stables on a horse called Quentin. I had a lovely time. But the last time was 2015. We were celebrating our Golden Wedding and it was an anniversary for the stables too. The YO kindly gave me an anniversary rosette which is still on show in our living room.

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
Does this person really deserve to have random people stalk them to see who they are and what qualifications they have? I’d be mortified to have my picture put up on a public forum for all and sundry to see and judge.
I suppose it depends on whether they're bothered about it being suggested they have no qualifications (further up).

anguscat

Visit site
I had a look at RN, didn't realise it was still going but remember it from an article in Stable Management (anyone remember that mag??) in the 1970's

Lots of pics hopefully on the link below. They canter on Rotten Row.

It's on my bucket list! But I have every intention of doing it in full show gear - velvet hat, tweed jacket, light breeches, etc. Or sidesaddle.

BTW, a friend who's ridden with both recommends Ross Nye over Hyde Park Stables.
Ross Nye other half being Ruth Nye. Extremely distinguished piano pedagogue.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
The fact that several people on a horse forum think that hiviz on and off road is not necessary and doesn't do much leaves me rather frustrated. It's there for the benefit of everyone, not least the horse.
That's unfair, I only argue that for this specific situation - it's pretty unusual being in central London! Having regularly seen these horses out, you honestly can't miss them for the short period of time they're on a road, and then they're on a riding track in the park - no cars or cyclists need to spot them then. It bears no relation to the kind of riding that 99% of us do. To be clear I never hack without high viz and I am a massive proponent of it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
That's unfair, I only argue that for this specific situation - it's pretty unusual being in central London! Having regularly seen these horses out, you honestly can't miss them for the short period of time they're on a road, and then they're on a riding track in the park - no cars or cyclists need to spot them then. It bears no relation to the kind of riding that 99% of us do. To be clear I never hack without high viz and I am a massive proponent of it.
I disagree, I think that we have a duty of care to ourselves, our horses and every other road user, whether we are riding in central London or on the sort of quiet country lane that I now ride on, where I seldom see any vehicles at all, yet still adorn myself and my horse in full on hiviz every time I go out. There is absolutely no exemption for this imo.

And in the event that someone falls off and a horse ends up not on the hacking track (etc), having hiviz on it can make a huge difference to everyone's welfare, including the horse.

And returning to my seatbelt analogy, that would be like saying I don't need to put on my seatbelt to drive round the corner to the shop, but I do if I'm going all the way into town.

Last edited:

Tinsel

Visit site
I wanted to ride there on Rotten Row for historical interest, thanks to Joyce Bellamy.

I rode in Hyde Park twice, once with OH, just part of the circuit with a gentle canter and once on my own when mowing machines near the track at Hyde Park courner prevented us cantering, so we just trotted. I rode from Ross Nye Stables on a horse called Quentin. I had a lovely time. But the last time was 2015. We were celebrating our Golden Wedding and it was an anniversary for the stables too. The YO kindly gave me an anniversary rosette which is still on show in our living room.
Sounds like you and other half had a brilliant time have you had a chance to go back again

Skib

sites.google.com
Sounds like you and other half had a brilliant time have you had a chance to go back again
OH retired from riding after his fav. RS horse died and he (my OH) had a slight stroke.
I didnt go back to Hyde Park, due to Covid lock down and being offered my current share.

But, yes, I have been tempted to go back to Hyde Park after seeing pics of people from our yard riding there on our horses taken up in a lorry.
My share probably has about a dozen other sharers, all younger and fitter than I am, and it seems better to let them have the experience.