Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth?

school or college or work

• Total voters

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Never make the mistake of confusing class with wealth - they are totally separate things. A lot of class is to do with background, education, principles - some things are instilled as values and are nothing to do with money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very very good point sooty.

Mmmm, that's given me food for thought now.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I notice that someone pointed out that most people on this board do not think of themselves as having "silver spoon" blah blah and that the general public should realise that horsey people aren't like this. BUT that is just the population of this message board. There is a large seciton of horse owning community who are raging toffs! Is unfortunate that the public see them as the majority.

Anyway...

Am thoroughly middle class i'm afraid. Although Mum's side of family were working class bookies in "Sowff" London, dad's side are all university educated and he went to public school.

How condisending will this sound.... I love working class people. Mix with them mostly and they're great. Makes me laugh that my nick name amongst my friends is "posh".

What I hate is the social underclass that live on my tax money. I've lived in Chatham amongst them and seen their work (or lack of it)

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How condisending will this sound.... I love working class people. Mix with them mostly and they're great. Makes me laugh that my nick name amongst my friends is "posh".
I've lived in Chatham amongst them and seen their work (or lack of it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this bit!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I have a few posh friends but I tend to only speak to them when my other friends aren't around
smirk.gif

It's funny, amongst alot of my friends I'm called posh - just because I'm well spoken! Didn't go to uni, went to state school (although I won a bursary to a convent school) but was surrounded by books and encouraged to read, had a strong set of morale values instilled in me and have good role models as parents.

You don't need money to educate your children effectively - if only more people could understand this.

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Never make the mistake of confusing class with wealth - they are totally separate things. A lot of class is to do with background, education, principles - some things are instilled as values and are nothing to do with money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was waiting for someone to say this. To me, I classify Posh and Becks as working class- their background suggests this in more than one way, and the fact that they are loaded is nothing to do with it. I think class is tied in loosly with culture also.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Went for 2nd one.Definitely working class.OH and I both work full time to fund horses and daughters competeing.Currently have 4 horses(hopefully down to 2/3 next yr)on a cheap DIY yard,an old lorry and an old car.Yes we struggle but as others have said don't do holidays,fancy clothes etc even house could do with a bit of makeover but would rather 'live' than sit at home and look at nice house and expensive furniture etc.Would love to have more money but hey ho don't think its going to happen!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
I dont struggle but I do have to watch what I spend, saying that I do still live with my parents at 21 which helps. I was very fortunate in that my parents bought my horse and my car as they paid for my brother to go to university. Everything else I have worked hard for. I dont have any help with the horse, I have to do everything myself and pay for everything. I never go without but I am by no means rich, I am careful with my money and I have to plan.
If I didnt still live with my parents then I would definatly struggle and probably wouldnt be able to afford the horse on my wage. I do favours for my parents like last night I did the weekly shop just like they do odd favours for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Combined with people owning their own houses....do they really own them or do the banks own them? And if the banks own them, then are they really upper or middle class?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can be upper middle class if you don't own your own house. Otherise you are working to pay for it which makes you working class!

Tia

Visit site
Yep totally agree - when I was talking about the wealthy lot I was not referring to the neuvo-riche, I was referring to friends who have heritage. I don't know any Posh/Becks type people thankfully - that sort make me squirm. Give me my (often poor) aristocracy any day.
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AH HA - and that raises another point - A commoner is someone who has grazzing rights on the common (communal) lands - Commons................

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't spell either. So now we're both thick!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm mildly dyslexic
tongue.gif

evsj

Visit site
That's a sweeping generalisation about Chatham! Ok, probably quite acurate....we are not all like that in Kent though LOL!!

Sadly, tis the media (not just the current bun, the guardian too) which reinforces the stereotypes associated to horsey peeps. Take for instance the national 'icon', Jordan. Whenever she gets on her horse and 'accidently' gets papped, the comments/headlines are always along the same lines... 'sexy Jordan toffs off on a horse' etc... Or Madonna fancies trying riding as her latest hobby (since bored and now buying African babies) - all we got in the papers was how Madonna wants to restyle herself as an English lady-to-the-manor-born. Hence Jonnie Bodget and his builder mates think all horsey people are upmarket/minted.
So, personally I blame the media.....

Tia

Visit site
I agree, therefore anyone whose house is owned by a bank or lending institute must be working class? But then what if others are like a lot of my friends, they have barely any money and a great clod of a house falling down around their ears? They may have to work at something to keep the thing standing.

I think the biggest problem with using Class as a descriptive word is that the meaning has been changed for a lot of people. It is no longer seen by the majority as your birthright, but more about how much or little money you have.

That's why I have no idea which class I am in - the old meaning of the word or the new meaning of the word.
crazy.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's a sweeping generalisation about Chatham! Ok, probably quite acurate....we are not all like that in Kent though LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Kent so know it's not all like that!

Was just trying to give an example and show I wasn't just generalising.
smile.gif

Really the street I lived in was fit for a fly on the wall documentary. Stabbings, frequently pregnant, smoking 16 year olds, fit young men who sat at home all day smoking weed. Ugh, makes me so angry!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was waiting for someone to say this. To me, I classify Posh and Becks as working class- their background suggests this in more than one way, and the fact that they are loaded is nothing to do with it. I think class is tied in loosly with culture also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more with these 2 statements!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's less accurate to define in terms of class - better perhaps to think on terms of social attitudes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear!

Law

Visit site
I put 'middle class' but that is wrong really.
I'm 27, renting a room in a house (pay for it myself) no finanical support from parents, pay for my horse myself, have a semi decent car as i had rusty minis for a long time! I'm on a fair wage but wracked up stupid debts which are not shrinking (from being in Uni) and don't own my own house. I struggle and live off the very cheapest of tinned foods and veg from the supermarket. I seriously watch what I spend and it depresses me a lot. I can't remember buying clothes and I dye my own hair for a few quid with a kit from Superdrug.
My values and so on are very snobby though. We've not holidayed in 18 months because we are sensibly looking to buy a house this year which is something which scares the hell out of me as i've not got a penny to my name. I sound like a disaster zone! (I just think i panic about money
crazy.gif
confused.gif
)

Sarah1

Visit site
I agree that class has alot to do with your values, morals, education and heritage - the choices were purely based on funds and that's what I based my answer on!
With this in mind it's harder for me to put myself into a class - I went to an ordinary comprehensive school, didn't go to Uni but do have professional qualifications and as I said my Mum was a single parent who worked as a cleaner and dinner lady - very working class.
However, the values she instilled in me were far more middle class/upper middle class (don't mean to sound snobbish, so apologies if I do!) and my attitude today is that way. I admit that sometimes I do feel like a snob but on the other hand I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to better yourself.
The area I live in is lovely but it's on the outskirts of a town which I would describe as 'chav-ville' and I find it depressing to walk through the town even though I grew up there.
As for back ground - way back in history my family was well-to-do, we had a coat of arms and land etc. Lord knows what's happened to all that though!!!!!!!!!!
So I suppose the answer is...I've no idea what class I am! I most certainly was not born with a silver spoon but I think my children will be a bit more that way!

sammys ma

Visit site
Can i just Interject.....

I think it's important not to Equate Wealth with Class!

YEs, ofcourse there's a lot of "Old Money" around, but there's also "Noveaux Riche", where people can be complete Chav's, with no class but have made a bleedin fortune!

,eg: ottery numbers don't discriminate between classes
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
Just realised I haven't given my background
blush.gif

Born into a military Family, though thankfully wasn't dragged around too much, I lived in Oberammergaw, Germany and Salalah, Oman, as well as the lovely Shropshire countryside and in South Wales, before I left home at 16. My Father went to Sandhurst Millitary Academy and by choice (much to his family's dissappointment) never progressed further than Major (he was a natural born charasmatic leader of men). One cousin is a Colonel and another is a Brigadier-General in Her Majesty's Army. Down on in there in my Father's family are Racehorse trainers - my great uncle and his son won 3 Grand Nationals between them (1911 Glenside, 1915 Ally Sloper & 1920 Troytown).

I had a few ponies on winter loans and rode neighbours poines as a kid and my parents bought me my very own for my 11th birthday. I had a fantastic childhood and never really wanted for anything, though I was often told no - something I thank both of my parent for.

I haven't actually voted in the poll, as I don't believe in a 'class system' as such. I believe that the old school folks are a dying breed and I think that is sad in many ways. The class system doen't work in the modern day world IMO - there are plenty of folks who have inherited big houses and grounds, but haven't a penny with which to keep it going!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh CN that sounds a lovely childhood
smile.gif

Umm my background:
Parents divorced when I was a small child, and I lived with Mother. She remarried when I was 3/4years old, to my (step)father. We have since then lived on his estate which is family owned and quite small in the comparison. This is what I would consider to be my "old money" background, have been brought up around the shooting estates, huge lawn meets and people who attended independant school.
My dad is the "new money" partner in Irwin Mitchell solicitors. Goes on the "show off" shoots, not the traditionals. Here is where I rebelled, and at 11years old refused at all costs to board, which, admittedly I do regret now, the vast number of my friends did, and in a sense I feel I missed out, I attended Pensitone Grammar, but they were all supportive, and so here I am. Took on 90% of my stepfathers roots, I go by their ways, examples and etiquette, always have, and always will.

Allykat

Visit site
I put every penny counts, although I wouldn't say we struggle to pay the bills. I am single and still live at home with my mum as I can't afford to move out. Both of us work full time and we have a horse each on livery. I pay for all of my horse and mum has a loaner for hers. We manage well enough, we watch the pennies!

Oh and my car is 16 years old..does that count
grin.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I went for the 2nd one, we can afford a large house, land, a horse per child (4 of us!) plus a few more, nice holidays and nice cars plus one for me.
But, we are very much in the red and need to sell a horse!
Both my parents are doctors and their parents were doctors and teachers. Sisters go to best school in NI, all of us plan on uni, so I thought upper middle, but there are a lot of people a lot better off that I would also class as upper middle!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
my parents worked hard for what they have. I remember as a kid having rabbit and pigeon pies all through the winter and the potatoes delivered for the cattle because it made the pennies go further. We lived in a tied house.
I was a single mum at 19. I worked my a$$ off in a chippy to make a little money to buy my son clothes and nappies.
Now I live in ex council, in a nice village. We don't have luxuries, it took us TWO years to afford to have just our lounge decorated. Other things always came first, ie kids and animals. OH has a decent job, it's long hours and he hates it, but it puts food on the table and pays the bills. We don't have a car, and currently no pony.
I don't know what that makes us. Working class???

regalrendezvous

Visit site
I probably was born into a okay off family. I had my name on the list to go to a paying school. Then my dad left when i was four. Everything i have now (my two horses etc) is because i worked HARD to get it. When i was in 6th form i had 3 jobs to pay for my horses. I was a waitress, a stable hand and in retail. My mum also managed to get two degres (sp?) and a masters.

I think i value my horses more than some of the people i know. Some people i know were born with 2 silver spoons in their mouths! This one girl i know her parents just bought her a $300 000 horse, imported from germany (believe me, living in sydney that is a HUGE thing!!)

She also owns copabella Visage - google him!

I'm not jelous, even if i was rich i would want to keep the horses i have now!

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Round of applause for Sooty!

Most posts seem to be using income to define class status.

Absolutely hate all this 'class' stuff anyway.
You don't need money to have it, and equally, all the money in the world isn't going to buy it for you.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I married well!
grin.gif

Not strictly true. I didn't spot the potential, but twenty years on we have it fairly comfortable, thanks to OH's single-mindedness. Still watch the pennies, as you never know and it's an old habit from when we had nothing.

clipclop

Visit site
I haven't ticked anything as I really would not know where to put myself.

I am blessed with the most wonderful, loving, hard working family.

I am often skint! Yet I cry with laughter most days of the week. So "poor" in money but "rich" with life.

I have friends from all walks of life, so that is no indicator either.

Signed
Misfit of Cornwall
tongue.gif